Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Genuine radio

Views : 806

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2019, 22:13   #1
dan 244
Master Member

Default Genuine radio

Got a standard factory 92 240 radio and the left side speakers are less powerful than the right, if you have the balance set in the middle hardly any sound comes out of the left speakers, same whether all on fronts or all on backs, so clearly a L R issue. You can adjust the balance way over L and get even sound. What do I look for? I believe it’s going to have an amp down low in the bottom cubbyhole?
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 17:07   #2
c1800
Master Member

Check wires to speaker, maybe they’re reversed on the Left side?
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 21:58   #3
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
Check wires to speaker, maybe they’re reversed on the Left side?
Ok will have a look a bit later in the week, it’s on the to do list! So you are saying + and - crossed over somewhere?
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 23:58   #4
Yaxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
Got a standard factory 92 240 radio and the left side speakers are less powerful than the right, if you have the balance set in the middle hardly any sound comes out of the left speakers, same whether all on fronts or all on backs, so clearly a L R issue. You can adjust the balance way over L and get even sound. What do I look for? I believe it’s going to have an amp down low in the bottom cubbyhole?
You might do better by posting a few more details - for example the model number of your 'standard' radio (there were variations in 92/93), whether it plays cassettes, and if it does whether the problem affects both the radio and cassette player. Does your car have separate tweeters in the rear doors?

If it only affects the cassette player it could be the playback head alignment, or possibly a fault with the tape transport mechanism.

If you have the amplifier fitted behind the lower cubby hole, the depth of the recess will be noticeably shortened. I think that type of amp uses the bulkhead as a heatsink.. but from memory it only drives the rear speakers (the radio has an internal amp which drives the fromt speakers), so if you have that setup and the problem is front and rear it points to the pre-amp stage, like the volume or balance control.
Yaxley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yaxley For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 10:10   #5
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
Ok will have a look a bit later in the week, it’s on the to do list! So you are saying + and - crossed over somewhere?
Yes, if left and right not wired the same speakers will be out of phase.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 13:02   #6
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxley View Post
You might do better by posting a few more details - for example the model number of your 'standard' radio (there were variations in 92/93), whether it plays cassettes, and if it does whether the problem affects both the radio and cassette player. Does your car have separate tweeters in the rear doors?

If it only affects the cassette player it could be the playback head alignment, or possibly a fault with the tape transport mechanism.

If you have the amplifier fitted behind the lower cubby hole, the depth of the recess will be noticeably shortened. I think that type of amp uses the bulkhead as a heatsink.. but from memory it only drives the rear speakers (the radio has an internal amp which drives the fromt speakers), so if you have that setup and the problem is front and rear it points to the pre-amp stage, like the volume or balance control.
Haven’t had to much time to investigate, but had the radio out and all wires on the back of the radio are in the original connector, so don’t think crossed.

It’s a td-603 from a 92 model. It has got the amplifier, but haven’t got that bit out to investigate if any of those wires are tampered with. It has separate rear door tweeters.

It was the same on radio and tape, however now no sound comes from the tape, it was a bit crackley when I first used it and now as I say tape doesn’t play. As for L R I think it’s the same weather all on the back or all on the front, but I will check when back, I’m away until Wednesday.

I have a 89 car, I was going to take the radio out and try, that has a separate amp, but the connectors are different at the top, dose the car harness run to the amp and the amp to radio connection come from the amp, and if so are the amp connections the same so I could change it all, or is top and bottom connections all intergrated in the car? In other words if I took it all from the other car would it be plug and play, the other car only has standard rear speakers though, no separate tweeters.

Or should I look for another TD-603?
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 18:14   #7
Yaxley

Quote:

The system with rear door tweeters was only fitted to later cars, so it may have a 4 channel amplifier, and I think the TD in TD 603 means 'Tuner Deck', suggesting that may be all it does. There was a CR603 – which may have had an amp in it in it driving the front speakers, which I would expect to be the setup you find in your 1989 car,

So I think you will find the connectors, the amp and head unit will not swap individually between the cars. As for finding another TD 603, I'd think only if it was really cheap or you wanted to retain the original equipment – there were places that repaired them in the past, but they are now over 25 years old.

Modern replacement units can be had with built in amps so you can connect directly to the speakers using a bypass wiring harness, but I am not sure where you will find the amplifier, someone else will know.
Yaxley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yaxley For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 19:29   #8
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
The system with rear door tweeters was only fitted to later cars, so it may have a 4 channel amplifier, and I think the TD in TD 603 means 'Tuner Deck', suggesting that may be all it does. There was a CR603 – which may have had an amp in it in it driving the front speakers, which I would expect to be the setup you find in your 1989 car,

So I think you will find the connectors, the amp and head unit will not swap individually between the cars. As for finding another TD 603, I'd think only if it was really cheap or you wanted to retain the original equipment – there were places that repaired them in the past, but they are now over 25 years old.

Modern replacement units can be had with built in amps so you can connect directly to the speakers using a bypass wiring harness, but I am not sure where you will find the amplifier, someone else will know.
Yes I would ideally like to keep the original look. The amp is behind the lower cubbyhole I’m sure, I just meant I hadn’t had time to get the panels off to look at that bit.

I do wonder if I could swap the entire 89 set up or if the wires in the car will be different, I will have to investigate further unless someone knows!

Perhaps I will see if I can get mine repaired! Not sure where to look though, everything now days is throw away!!
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 18:52   #9
speedyG50

I replaced my worn out speakers with some 4" JBL's ...
about £14.00 a pair I think.
Fitted in perfectly and then put the old original speaker covers back on.
speedyG50 is offline   Reply With Quote