Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2 questions: halogen -> HID and shuddering problem

Views : 692

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 11:14   #1
darkbob

Default 2 questions: halogen -> HID and shuddering problem

Hey there, first time in this forum and I did a search but couldn't find much so starting a thread. For info I have a 2007 4.4 XC90.
1st question: Headlight covers have gone yellow etc and don't tidy up with sanding etc. Plan is to replace them. I can get some from an 03 model at a steal EXCEPT I believe they are HID or bi- xenon. I know the assembly itself should fit fine but I'm unsure if I can just plug and go. Anyone know?

The other issue I have is I get severe shuddering through the vehicle at certain RPM (generally but not always) or speeds. Generally happens once vehicle has warmed up and under light acceleration on the flat or hills. Accelerating or decelerating remove the problem. Occurs mostly at/around 1500RPM. Tends to be around the 40 and 80km/h marks too. Any ideas? Torque converter has been suggested...
When I get time I'll be checking the spark plugs. I'll likely get the garage to look at replacing the trans fluid when they open as well.
darkbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 11:22   #2
giw12

I had the shuddering and there was a problem with the lockup on the torque convertor I recall.
giw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 13:41   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

With regard to the headlights - usually they come clean okay with a machine polisher and a semi coarse compound like Farecla G7. I've just done mine for the first time in 5 years and they're like new. Make sure you remove the headlamps and secure them in a workmate or similar to avoid burning through the paint on the panel edges.

With regard to swapping them - whilst the HID (they won't be Bi-Xenon) from a 03 model will physically fit and connect - you are likely to have problems at best with a error message on the dash at worst they just wont work or will flicker.

The headlamp type is programmed into the CEM at manufacture (cannot be changed) and controls how the lights are switched - it's not a simple relay for the dipped beam.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 14:35   #4
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, with regards the 'shudder', do you have significant Coolant loss?

If not, just ignore this post.

Cheers john.l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 18:15   #5
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
With regard to swapping them - whilst the HID (they won't be Bi-Xenon) from a 03 model will physically fit and connect - you are likely to have problems at best with a error message on the dash at worst they just wont work or will flicker.
That’s not true. They wont be active bendy ones but they will be Bi-Xenons as they lifted when you select main beam. I have them on my 54 and they are so much better then the halogen ones.

They would be a straight swap in terms of plug and physical housing but they do draw less current and are likely to give you error messages. By law to have xenon lights you need headlight washers and either auto levelling of the light or the car.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 23:22   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenfackrell View Post
That’s not true. They wont be active bendy ones but they will be Bi-Xenons as they lifted when you select main beam. I have them on my 54 and they are so much better then the halogen ones.

They would be a straight swap in terms of plug and physical housing but they do draw less current and are likely to give you error messages. By law to have xenon lights you need headlight washers and either auto levelling of the light or the car.
Got my terminology wrong - I meant ABL projectors.

But you do not need washers and levellers on pre-2009 cars with HID and the PWM control on Halogen systems does not switch HID lamps well.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 07:53   #7
darkbob

Na, coolant levels are fine.

Had a look at the 03s light fitting and while the housing seems like it should fit no dramas the plugs are completely different. Which I guess means I'd have to have the whole thing rewired etc? If anyone does have reliable info on plugs being the same I'm all ears (and eyes).

Thanks for the info so far!
darkbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 19:29   #8
seandodwell

Whilst on the subject of headlights, mine are misty, tried polishing up one side not fantastic, thought about buying aftermarket and splitting the unit to cannibalise the lens part mine are Bi xenons and even aftermarket ones are £££

Anyone know if this would work and attempted this?
seandodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 19:14   #9
PjPZummerzet

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandodwell View Post
Whilst on the subject of headlights, mine are misty, tried polishing up one side not fantastic, thought about buying aftermarket and splitting the unit to cannibalise the lens part mine are Bi xenons and even aftermarket ones are £££

Anyone know if this would work and attempted this?
Hi, you can buy a kit which makes the headlight lenses like new. It's a spray and is easy to apply. Probably available in most outlets such as Halfords.
PjPZummerzet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 13:51   #10
trumpetdropper

I struggled to make a difference with the generic lens restoration kit I bought as the yellowing was very thick.
I also tried a DA polisher with some rubbing compound which would have worked if I had had the patience.
Instead I got a brilliant result using very fine wet & dry (1500 git & 3000 git) it cuts right through the factory applied coating easily but use plenty of soapy water. You do need a fair bit of elbow grease, but it's worth it.
I then did a DA polish with some glass cleaner and final bodywork polish and they came up like new.
Taking the light units out of the car and done on a bench is better too (especially for you back!)
I recommend that before you drive around/use your nice shiny lights that you protect the lens surface with a hard compound chemical (nano) paintwork sealer (9H nano sealer - small bottle cheap on eBay) otherwise the sun and salt and general road dust will soon have the lenses deteriorating again.

Andy