Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant system Service required

Views : 9851

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2016, 17:41   #11
Model flyer
Master Member

The D5 thermostat is not like the thermostats fitted to the cars of yesteryear , simple half hour job to change . It comes fitted in a ali casing and cost over £100 cant remember the exact price . Its also a so and so to fit as its tucked behind the engine just above the turbo and without a hoist is very difficult to get to . Well worth letting a main dealer fit it unless your a masochist :-) My son met the fitter who had just fitted a new thermostat to his V70 when he collected the car and he was not a happy fitter .Fitting cost him £240 ish if memory serves ,that was about 5 years ago . As for changing them every five years , that might have been an option when it was a simple job . The fan should definitely not be running all the time . Whats really annoying is the lack of a Temp gauge on modern cars due to penny pinching manufacture. Instead a plug in OBD11 reader is needed to see if it running at correct temp.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos

Last edited by Model flyer; Dec 6th, 2016 at 17:47.
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2016, 15:48   #12
Tatsfield
Premier Member

This stands alongside the Renault £120 headlight bulb change. I didn't realise that changing a mechanical thermostat would entail this sort of cost. The mechanisms in these things always tended to make them more of a throwaway commodity than a serious component along with mechanical contact breakers and spark plugs. With these sort of charges I'd hope that would have changed but I suspect that buried in the thing is the same wax expansion capsule that always operated these devices and that it is no more or less reliable than it was when invented in 1936!
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 23:55   #13
WatchcamV70

This has just happened to me on my 2010 S80 driving home tonight.
I bought the car exactly 1 year ago with 52k miles and full history. It now has 69k miles and its a disgrace with such low miles for these sort of issues to pop up.
I have had 20 year old 200k mile vehicles without issues like this.
Its the secord fairly major issue in 3 months.
Are Volvo just badly made?
WatchcamV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 08:03   #14
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchcamV70 View Post
This has just happened to me on my 2010 S80 driving home tonight.
I bought the car exactly 1 year ago with 52k miles and full history. It now has 69k miles and its a disgrace with such low miles for these sort of issues to pop up.
I have had 20 year old 200k mile vehicles without issues like this.
Its the secord fairly major issue in 3 months.
Are Volvo just badly made?
Yep, certainly under the Ford influence. They now consider themselves a premium manufacturer and charge accordingly.
Terms like premium are of course subjective, to many it equates to just expencive.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 01:37   #15
WatchcamV70

Update on this ... the thermostat had gone.
The idiots at Volvo fitted some kind of substandard thermostat in the D5 that clearly is not fit for purpose.
They also made it integrated into a huge aluminium pipe structure that was not cheap as a part.
On top of that they were clearly really having an off day in the engine design department becuase its not accessible and took three hours labour to replace.

When the garage went to reset everything after fixing the car they also found my turbo boost sensor was broken. That is the third major sensor in 15k miles (less than 70k on the clock now) to fail.

So beware ... D5 engines are absolute rubbish. Also my parking sensors don’t work (failed at 50k miles) along with the washer fluid motor ... also failed and actually fell apart into pieces when being removed.
WatchcamV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 11:41   #16
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Update on this ... the thermostat had gone.
The idiots at Volvo fitted some kind of substandard thermostat in the D5 that clearly is not fit for purpose.
I don't think it is just a Volvo issue. It is an European built issue. I have friends with Jaguars, Land Rover, VW, Peugeot & Seat cars that have all suffered expensive component failure at low miles....it just that you own a Volvo and are reading/posting on a Volvo forum. If you were a VW owner on a VW forum you would probably say "The idiots at VW...."

Quote:
So beware ... D5 engines are absolute rubbish.
Nah, they are not! It's just the sub standard auxiliary components bolted to it that are rubbish....

Quote:
Also my parking sensors don’t work (failed at 50k miles)
My last vehicle was a Suzuki. A Japanese manufacturer renowned for fault free motoring. Parking sensors failed at 38k miles. Rears completely, fronts would pick up low flying objects like birds but nothing in front of me....The sensors weren't made by Suzuki or Volvo come to think of it. In fact they were from the GM parts bin. Just poor quality.

Quote:
along with the washer fluid motor ... also failed and actually fell apart into pieces when being removed.
I feel your pain. Mine did the same on Boxing Day just before a journey on the Motorway on a damp day to see family. The motor had the famous Fix Or Repair Daily logo on it "FoMoCo" and it too pulled apart with ease.

Go for a drive with radio off, settle back into the seat and listen to the D5. You'll soon forget about the dodgy components keeping it running...or not
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote