Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 340 DL 1988 F reg.

Views : 5048

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:23   #1
cliverobinson

Hi to everyone out there!!!!

I have a problem with the above car in that recently whilst trying to teach my better half to drive, and after a bit of kangarooing down the road, we lost all drive to the wheels.

The car makes an awful high pitched, grinding noise, like gears are not meshing when we try pull away.

Each gear seems to locate but no drive.........

Does any one out there have an idea what may have gone wrong?
Has it happened to you? What did you do?

As the car is 1988 vintage i need the cheapest solution to the problem!!!!

Many thanks

Clive
Old Jun 18th, 2002, 23:05   #2
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: Volvo 340 DL 1988 F reg.

You don't say whether the car is an auto or manual. Assuming its manual I would say has the clutch gone maybe? It could also be a broken propshaft splines or maybe a wrecked diff. Not sure. Someone else may be able to help

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2002, 23:07   #3
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Hi Clive,
it sounds as though your problem is the propshaft.The clutch is at the front and the gearbox is at the back joined by a prop without the usual universal joints. Instead each end has a splined drive mounted in rubber. What usually happens is that the retaining clamp comes loose (usually the back one) allowing the prop to spin on the gearbox shaft. If you are lucky it will have only damaged the prop splines.I would suggest you get a s/h prop from a breakers as a new one is arround the £200 mark.
Regards Paul.200series reg keeper voc.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2002, 21:14   #4
michaeladams

I too am suffering exactly the same problem, or at least the same symptoms. I have established to my own satisfaction that the problem is the one that paul.200series above identifies. The allen key that tightens the clamp seems to be very tight although the prop shaft can be turned, and one can feel the sort of ratchet effect of the slipping splines. I have looked in Haynes manual, which is oddly vague in this area. Is there some source of information on how this can be done? How does the rubber bit attach, and to what part?:'(
Michael Adams
Old Aug 15th, 2002, 22:54   #5
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Try replacing the propshaft first, cos if it is the g/box input shaft that has rounded off then that probably means a replacement box.

You can get a propshaft from a breakers.

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2002, 22:56   #6
cliverobinson

Michael,

you are better off removing the propshaft and replacing it.

Mine was fixed for £30.00 and an hours work.

undo the clamps at either end of the proshaft, they will not come off till the proshaft is away from the car though.

now with a hammer tap each end to free it up.
then tap one end till it comes free, move the free end into space then tap the other end till the prop is completely free.

remove it from the car and replace doing the reverse of the above, tighten the clamps and off you go.