Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Fog Light Retro Fit

Views : 4760

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 14:54   #1
littlehomer
Master Member

Default Front Fog Light Retro Fit

Hi All,

Just a quick one, I'm planning to retrofit front fogs to my V40.

I've looked up the kit on Vadis, it simply has the extra switch and the fog lights.

I've fitted the extra switch in the switch panel, I should have the fog lights next couple of weeks.

Wiring is all there, my question is, Is there anything else I'm missing?

When I push the button, will the light come on in the speedo display or will I need to take the dash apart to fit a bulb where there was no bulb before?

I know I'll know when I push the button but i'd rather do the whole lot in one sitting, so want to be prepared.

Many Thanks,

Daniel.
littlehomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 15:09   #2
gmain1967
Premier Member

What year and registration is yours - there was a thread as below about a relay issue

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ght=fog+lights

I recall a thread on this previously which I will try to find, and it differed from my experience. I retro-fitted foglights to my first S40 2.0T, 1999 T reg XS model, and in that instance, it was simply a case of fit the switch, fit the lights, and connect them up. There was nothing else to it.

Others seem to have had issues with the wiring not being there.

Cheers

Last edited by gmain1967; Aug 23rd, 2010 at 15:28. Reason: link to thread added
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmain1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 22:56   #3
s40rch

Yea, you need the fog light relay, its £60 from Volvo, i cant find one anyware else on the net, please let me know if you come across one!
s40rch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:11   #4
theblues
I've Been Banned

Hi littlehomer sorry cant help you with your problem but I did want to ask you how easy it is to remove the fog lights, you think you could give a couple of tips assuming you know....would be most appreciated.
theblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 14:45   #5
littlehomer
Master Member

Hi All,

I'm now in a position to attempt this on my 2001 Phase 2 V40.

Looking at Vadis, picture attached, the front fog light kit includes the two fog lights and the switch. No mention of needing a new relay or software upgrade.

Vadis does have a CEM software parameter that may need changing though, but for aftermarket fog lamps. It says:

Programming the front fog lamps

This parameter indicates whether the car is equipped with front fog lamps or not.

Note! The parameter must be programmed when installing after market fog lamps.

I have added the switch to my car, but to my existing switch module. I still have the one I bought with the front fog light switch in to use.

I've fitted the drivers side fog light today.

Here's the problem. It doesn't work. A few simple questions:

I am going to assume that you need both present for them to work?

The circuit may not be complete or the load not enough for the system to turn them on?

The switch in my car, although now fitted with the button, doesn't contain the electronics to do it?

I am missing this relay. Vadis has only one mention of a relay. A Foglamps Automatic Relay and a seperate rear fog lamp relay. I'm unsure if that means it's for an automatic car?

I'm off to check that it has fuses and that no obvious relays are marked for front fogs and are missing.

But anyone insight into where this magic relay should be will be gratefully received.

Many Thanks,

Daniel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fog Kit.jpg (144.8 KB, 37 views)
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 15:35   #6
littlehomer
Master Member

Hey up,

Doing some digging and it seems that I've got two fuses to check in the engine bay and then it looks like my CEM needs programming or I need to get a CEM from a phase 2 car that had fog lights.

I'd put my hands on one on a scrapped car not weeks ago. I hate it when you see a car that you then think "crap, I should have taken that off it".

Cheers,

Daniel.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 16:35   #7
sebaveh
Winegrover

Phase 2 has fog light relay inside CEM.
CEM units are the same for all models, even between S and V models. This even means that S models got functional relay for rear wiper and such stuff. They are different for LHD and RHD models.

Part numbers for RHD models:

30896698 - up to 2001
30621305 - chassis from 800000 to 026445
30638708 - chassis from 026446 on

CEM units carry following programmed parameters from VADIS:

Description of programmed data

General
Both the new control modules for the central electronic module (CEM) and the control modules supplied as replacement parts are pre-programmed with the values from the factory. These pre-programmed values may differ depending on the version of the central electronic module (CEM).
Programming must be carried out when replacing the central electronic module (CEM), after market installation of front fog lamps, or when the customer wishes to modify the function of the tailgate wiper or approach lights.
Note! If an internal error occurs in the control module, it will control the output signals according to pre-programmed values.

Automatic low beam
This parameter determines whether low beam will be on when the ignition is switched on and when the lighting switch is in position 0 and within which range the instrument lighting can be adjusted using the control. The available range for the instrument lighting is fixed in percentage for each setting.
Note! This function is market dependent. Contact the dealer if uncertain about this function. Unless otherwise stated, automatic low beam is standard for the USA.
The following alternatives are available:
-On 20-100%
-Off 20-100%
-On 6-100%
-Off 6-100%
-USA on 6-100%
-USA off 6-100%
-Canada on 6-100%.
Note! In Europe a new central electronic module was introduced in week 13 2003. The part number is 3063 8707 and 3063 8708. These control modules must be programmed with an interval of 6-100% instead of 20-100%. Older control modules are still programmed with an interval of 20-100%.
The newer control module cannot be programmed with settings of an interval of 20-100%. The older control module cannot be programmed with an interval of 6-100%.

Twin headlamps
This parameter indicates if the car is equipped with twin headlamps (separate headlamp inserts for high and low beam) or not.
Note! If the car is equipped with separate headlamp inserts for high and low beam, low beam will be lit when high beam or high beam flash is activated.
-Yes
-No.

Front fog lamps
This parameter indicates whether the car is equipped with front fog lamps or not.
Note! The parameter must be programmed when installing after market fog lamps.
-Yes
-No.

Tailgate wiper
This parameter indicates whether the car is equipped with a tailgate wiper or not.
-Yes
-No.

Tailgate wiper when reversing
This parameter indicates whether the tailgate wiper starts when reverse (reverse) gear is selected or not.
Note! The tailgate wiper only starts if the windscreen wipers are activated.
-Yes
-No.

Approach lights
This parameter indicates how long the approach lights should remain lit.
Note! The parameter can only be read. It cannot be programmed.
-30 secs.

Last edited by sebaveh; Dec 31st, 2010 at 16:49.
sebaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sebaveh For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 20:04   #8
littlehomer
Master Member

Thanks!

This was what I found in Vadis.

So I imagine that means I need to get Volvo to program my CEM.

Or find a CEM from a car that had the front fog lights, so will have the parameter changed already.

Or can someone here help me program or find someone who can program it that aren't ruddy expensive?!

Many Thanks,

Daniel.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 14:17   #9
littlehomer
Master Member

Hey up,

I have changed the CEM in my car today to an older one, on a different part number, but crucially from a car that had front fog lights, and hey presto.

They are working!

Would we like a guide to what I've found?

Many Thanks,

Daniel.
The Following User Says Thank You to littlehomer For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 18:08   #10
sebaveh
Winegrover

As you have different part numbers, have you noticed and other changes?
sebaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sebaveh For This Useful Post: