Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OIl

Views : 3389

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2018, 12:02   #31
AndyV7o
Premier Member

That is true ab2504s, however a forum is there to discuss things, give and recieve help, not tell someone asking for help that someone else once asked that in 1942 so I'm not prepared to help again.
Search functions are limited, and when they do produce results there can be a lot to trawl through, the advice you want might be on page 11 or 24 of 20 threads, time is precious, most people only have 5 mins here, 10 mins there...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 13:00   #32
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Search functions are limited
So use Google site search. Much quicker than an oil lecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2504s View Post
Cheshired5 is very direct and has a concise writing style.
Perfectly articulated and it never fails to amaze when the odd person either misses that simple fact or they add inference that isn't there.

To the nay sayers, my point wasn't that the question had been asked before per se.
My point was that it had been asked before and the OP had read the previous threads and could have posted a reply on an existing discussion.
If he couldn't understand the hundreds of previous responses, why was a new thread asking the same question going to be any more definitive?

The owner's manual for your car explains what's required for your engine really succinctly on just one page so if it isn't on that page, don't use it.
No diarrhoea essay on oil required.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 13:23   #33
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Indeed, but it wasnt an example of concise articulation.

It was indeed a bit of a daft opening post, but nevertheless...

If you read my first post it was very short indeed.
I only got into more stuff when folk started presenting rubbish/misguidance as fact.
If diarrhoea oil essays refers to me, I can assure you it isnt diarrhoea! Thats why I post stuff, to clarify and cast aside the bull5hit and confusion.
Ive made a thread solely for oil with the idea that people either find that or get directed there from threads like this, and the intention being that it is full of fact, and discussion between those who know, those who want to know, and those who think they know, so that the bull can be weeded out.
Im actually trying to help prevent these posts by taking the time and effort to try and make an informative factual reference point. 👍

Seriously though, Im not here for a fight or childish fistycuffs, I use forums to get help, give help, and discuss stuff.
If I disagree with summat or think someone is out of order I will say so, and expect the same in return, but were all grown-ups thus we should all take it on the chin and remain in good spirits.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Jul 13th, 2018 at 14:32.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 18:37   #34
Anubisxc70
Master Member

I started this post because i have so many opinions about oil i see 0w30 as i see 5w40. In my personal opinion its logical that and older car use more thick oil. IN MY OPINION.
Thats why i asked.

I dont think that its a positive answer on a forum, specially if it is a new member (its not the case), that older members here with shown posts (and videos) that helped solve many problems. Will answer ....THIS QUESTION IS AN OLD ONE AND IT HAS BEEN ANSWERED ON PREVIOUS POSTS. Direct or not this is character and lack of respect, and its not the first time. IF it was on another post, i would let the poster to sort it out.

I have to mention how important this forum is to us. The member that after the time belt snapped on the motorway was sending posts trying to know what to do...... Imagine an answer like that.

BUt once again I am sorry for all this deviation from the main point, im glad there are people that help.

Thank You
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anubisxc70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 00:02   #35
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 View Post
I started this post because i have so many opinions about oil i see 0w30 as i see 5w40. In my personal opinion its logical that and older car use more thick oil. IN MY OPINION.
Thats why i asked.
I dont think that its a positive answer on a forum, specially if it is a new member (its not the case), that older members here with shown posts (and videos) that helped solve many problems. Will answer ....THIS QUESTION IS AN OLD ONE AND IT HAS BEEN ANSWERED ON PREVIOUS POSTS. Direct or not this is character and lack of respect, and its not the first time. IF it was on another post, i would let the poster to sort it out.
It's interesting that you mention respect given that in one of my videos which you slagged off, it shows me explaining the oil choice and also shows me using a 5/40 oil on my high mileage, older, Euro 3 D5 which would have answered your question.

I've also mentioned using a 5/40 over 100 times on this forum so it's unlikely you haven't already read the answer you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 View Post
I am sorry for all this deviation from the main point, im glad there are people that help.
5500 thanks for useful posts suggests my contribution to the forum is absolutely fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 00:20   #36
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Tbf he asked what was the best oil for these engines (in a very general blanket fashion), then stated what he was using as a reference/seeking confirmation.
There isnt a best oil of course, when new 0w30 B4, when high mileage probably 5w40 B4, but without knowing the engine condition and dependant on oils available, theres no definitive answer!
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 18:43   #37
Willow place

Just been looking at Oil,! , Some sellers mention to Ford,Audi, Volkswagen spec etc , will any of these be ok if they have the right pre-fix, i.e. A3/B3 , A5/B5 , Volvo V70 2.4 D 2003, about 180,000 miles . Only do about 5,000 miles a year and then oil is changed, Thanks for ALL good replies .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 19:30   #38
AndyV7o
Premier Member

That'll be a euro 3 engine, you want A3/B4, see here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283503
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 21:32   #39
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It's interesting that you mention respect given that in one of my videos which you slagged off, it shows me explaining the oil choice and also shows me using a 5/40 oil on my high mileage, older, Euro 3 D5 which would have answered your question.

I've also mentioned using a 5/40 over 100 times on this forum so it's unlikely you haven't already read the answer you want

5500 thanks for useful posts suggests my contribution to the forum is absolutely fine.
Once again you prove to be an idiot. Just because you answered 100 times about oil, people cant ask never again??? just because you posted a video about oil. People should never ask again!!!

One of your videos i slagged off!!!????
I have really issues. I really dont know who you think you are.....you might be good and do lots of things and solve many problems but....you are not the only. And the way you answer is disrespectful even for the forum. and for their members. But its up to you.

For me you have the same values the others and just because you make some videos....that doesn't make you, some kind of teacher that say things once and everybody has to follow.
Its Summer if i were you i would take some time off.
For me you became Titanic, the more you talk the more you sink.

Last edited by Anubisxc70; Jul 15th, 2018 at 21:34.
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 22:12   #40
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Maybe agree to disagree and leave it there eh!
No point having a slanging match, it spoils the forum for others 👍
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post: