Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

855 CD T5 Auto. 418 Regency Red. Edinburgh

Views : 939

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2019, 21:03   #1
Ross 63
Breaks things

Default 855 CD T5 Auto. 418 Regency Red. Edinburgh

This is my 1997 Volvo 850 (855) CD T5. It's been my project car for many months. All of the work on it has been done by me, none of your usual "previous owner" garbage. I have receipts for everything and photographs of the work in progress.

It's not perfect but it's far better than most, and I've spent a fortune and countless hours on it with the following work all done in the last few months:

Timing belt, water pump, idler roller, tensioner roller, hydraulic tensioner and auxiliary belt renewed (Gates powergrip kit used)
PCV system completely replaced with new genuine Volvo parts (inlet manifold, turbo hoses and air box removed, so it's done properly).
Air filter, oil filter, fuel filter replaced, Gulf synthetic oil used for service.
Transmission fluid completely flushed and replaced, 3 times over to ensure all the old oil was gone. Synthetic Comma MVATF used.
5x new NGK Platinum Spark Plugs fitted.
New oil cap seal fitted.
Bougicord ignition leads fitted, including King lead.
New Distributor cap and rotor arm.
New thermostat.
Coolant replaced (silicate type).
Brake fluid replaced.
Rear brake pads, pins and pad springs replaced.
Front discs and pads are recent genuine Volvo.
Front shock absorbers, springs, top mounts and bearings, upper spring cups, drop links, bump stops and gaiters replaced
Rear lower spring anchors, springs, shock absorbers, top mounts and isolators replaced
New OSF driveshaft, cv joints, intermediate bearing and ABS reluctor ring.
New rear bumper brackets and bolt kit ready to go on.
New inner and outer track rods on both sides.
Tailgate trim clamps repaired (no more rattles).
Wiper blades replaced.
New bulbs front and rear.
Original stereo system reinstated.
Hunter Hawkeye wheel alignment.
I have a tailgate spoiler that's ready to go on too.

So, as you can see, that's a pretty comprehensive list. The car drives brilliantly, sounds great and goes like a turbo brick should. It honestly drives like a new car. The engine is quiet as a sewing machine at the front of the car, with a lovely characterful 5 cylinder burble at the rear.

144k miles from new, with history to verify. Yes, the odometer works.

Bad bits:

A tiny bit of grot on the NSF wing. Rear bumper corners could do with a bit of paint. One or two little dings commensurate with age but nothing bad. That's it, it's mechanically as good as it gets and only has a couple of cosmetic bits to sort out.

£2200 is the price. It owes me far more than this, and you'll struggle to find another with anywhere near the amount of new kit this one has. I'm not fussed if it sells or not, so no low ball offers. Any inspection welcome.

Photos:

Old timing belt:

New timing belt and water pump kit:

Old Feb 4th, 2019, 13:28   #2
Ross 63
Breaks things

No longer for sale........
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 20:19   #3
mentepazza

Did you sell it or changed mind?
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 22:39   #4
Ross 63
Breaks things

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentepazza View Post
Did you sell it or changed mind?
Holding onto it for now. If I don't like the coilovers on my "new" 850, I'll put the new suspension and some other bits from this one onto it.