Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Inaccurate B20F tacho reading

Views : 903

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 16:38   #1
sarumboy

Default Inaccurate B20F tacho reading

About 6 months ago, the tacho on my 95 2.0 auto 440 started to play up - not reading at all sometimes which I put down to dampness or condensation. But the problem has got worse, now there is a reading there all the time but its about a quarter or a third of what it should be. Can anyone suggest what's going on? Is it a connection issue or can the tacho generator fail? Where is it by the way, is the connector on the engine block somewhere? Thanks fellas.

Last edited by sarumboy; Aug 10th, 2010 at 18:23.
sarumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 17:41   #2
captainslow

Give the dash a thwack and see if the reading changes-it works in temporary measures on the 480, although I assume you dont have an infocentre and thats the main problem zone!
captainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 18:23   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

sometimes the face of the speedo or tacho peels and a piece of paper like substance makes contact with the needle ...
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 09:14   #4
sarumboy

Default Inaccurate tacho reading

Thanks for your replies guys. I've checked the instrument face and don't think it's peeling, doesn't seem to be a mechanical stoppage. And I thumped the dash loads of times on a 5 mile journey last night and that didn't work. On the way there, it didn't register at all and on the way back it read about half what it should have done. Mystery!
By the way, there is an Info Centre which is working perfectly.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 21:15   #5
Alan C30

Default 480 info tacho etc

There are a pair of multi plugs on the rear of inst binnacle which are JUST long enough to reach the gubbins when whole lot removed and VERY tight to reach when in situ, it might have 'just worked' loose. My 480 suffers bouts of this and I can just reach it when lying upsid edown under steering wheel, plug nearest door ( assuming RHD) is the one that has info panel on, from what I remember.

Cheers Alan
Alan C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 20:30   #6
sarumboy

Thanks for that Alan. I've had a good grope up under the dash (wishing that I had smaller hands!) and so far the results are slightly better. Now the needle indicates correctly or not ar all and thats an improvement. Maybe I should settle for that. Cheers for the replies.
Sarumboy
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 20:53   #7
B20F
Master Member

If I understand correctly, there's a infocentre installed by a PO? In that case take a look at these (18) soldering points on the PCB. These come from the connector on the backside of the PCB. A failing or intermittent working speedo can be caused by cracked and/or dried out solder. I took a small 25w soldering iron and heated them one by one till melting point. I forgot which 2 are from the speedo, but to be sure I did them all. This cured the intermittent speedo in my 480.
Maybe it''s a good idea to replace all the dashbulbs when your at it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcb 480.jpg (204.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PCB pins 480.jpg (154.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by B20F; Aug 16th, 2010 at 21:02.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 19:52   #8
sarumboy

Default Inaccurate B20F tacho

Thank you, thats a brilliant suggestion, sounds very feasible to me and I'm going to tackle it. I couldn't believe it was the tacho gen itself as all other functions are OK, it has to be a bad joint somewhere in the instrument line. By the way, whats a PO in this instance? Thanks again, Sarumboy
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 14:12   #9
B20F
Master Member

PO= Previous Owner. The infocentre on the 440/460 was original only available in the turbo models. In the 480 it was standard, except in the basic 480S model. At least here in Holland that is, maybe different marketing policy from Volvo in the UK? I own a '92 480S but I installed an infocentre myself, together with aircon, cruise control, half leather seats, upgraded (green dipstick) B20F engine from a '95 etc. I could get a totalled (rearended) 480GT cheap, so now it's a full option 480S.