Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D2 running issues - advice wanted

Views : 20317

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2011, 17:42   #41
sks109

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
The main gripes I have are:

1) Sometimes too much revs when taking off with power some of those times going away when the clutch is fully engaged - it's like hitting the brakes momentarily. Doesn't happen as often - partly because I know de-clutch if the revs are soaring for no apparent reason.

Interesting about the revs and jerkiness when moving off. I thought it was me just not getting used to the new car and having to dip the clutch to avoid the old kangaroo syndrome. I`ll keep an eye on this as the mileage increases it may get better.
sks109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 17:48   #42
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcnar01 View Post
I'm passed caring about the fuel consumption, I just want to be able to drive my V50 D2 normally and for it to react properly and consistently, and without the various clunks from the gearbox.
This is the dearest car I have ever bought, and the worst, and that is in 45 years of motoring. My friends all say take the car back and demand another, if only!
Hi

I am not to happy with my XC60 S and V and have posted some issues in the XC60 forum although peeps think I am a moaner - when Im not. Ive not actually posted the faults yet due to previous responses.My experience with Volvo goes back years and I have had so many Volvos I cant count them as have members of the family and friends.All my older Volvos were fab even if a little boring.

Todays Volvos look super although appear unreliable. Like I say in a previous thread "style over substance" (and got slated for saying so by the over defensive members)

The latest Volvos seem to be dreadful and I regret returning to them.
The Koreans and Japanese are showing the way forward at the moment.

regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 17:50   #43
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1952 View Post
But why are the official figures so far out from all the other cars I've owned. I don't expect to get anywhere near the extra urban figures but I do to the combined. Around town my TwinTop got 42-44 mpg compared to the official overall figure of 49. my wife's Corolla does 55mpg going to and from work, overall official being 58.9. So to get 44 out of the Volvo D2 compared to the official 65.7 is hard to take, especially as the thing that swayed us to buy it was it's excellent consumption figures. Fuel consumption is crucial to us especially as the car it's replacing does almost 60mpg on the run to France doing 70mph (110k) on the motorways. It feels like we've been conned.
Hi Jeff

Join the club!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 18:09   #44
Jeff1952

Should have done more research I suppose but I had no idea that the official fuel consumption figures were so far out. This is probably going to cost us an extra £300/year which we shouldn't be paying. As I said earlier I think we've been conned!!! Anyone got any tips??
Jeff1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 18:12   #45
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcnar01 View Post
I'm passed caring about the fuel consumption, I just want to be able to drive my V50 D2 normally and for it to react properly and consistently, and without the various clunks from the gearbox. I have the exact same "gripes" as you, all 4 of them! My dealer has carried out various "tweeks" and is very sympathetic, but nothing has changed.

This is the dearest car I have ever bought, and the worst, and that is in 45 years of motoring. My friends all say take the car back and demand another, if only!
are we talking about Taggarts here? The worst dealership in all of Christendom!

Take your car, and park it across their main entrance gate - with LEMON written on the windscreen in one of those marker pens, and invite the press.

That should get their attention.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 18:28   #46
lcnar01
V50

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
are we talking about Taggarts here? The worst dealership in all of Christendom!

Take your car, and park it across their main entrance gate - with LEMON written on the windscreen in one of those marker pens, and invite the press.

That should get their attention.
No not Taggarts. Off to buy a marker pen!
lcnar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 21:16   #47
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1952 View Post
But why are the official figures so far out from all the other cars I've owned. I don't expect to get anywhere near the extra urban figures but I do to the combined. Around town my TwinTop got 42-44 mpg compared to the official overall figure of 49. my wife's Corolla does 55mpg going to and from work, overall official being 58.9. So to get 44 out of the Volvo D2 compared to the official 65.7 is hard to take, especially as the thing that swayed us to buy it was it's excellent consumption figures. Fuel consumption is crucial to us especially as the car it's replacing does almost 60mpg on the run to France doing 70mph (110k) on the motorways. It feels like we've been conned.
I understand your feelings, and initially I was seriously #¤&#% myself. But it won't use any less if I'm miserable, so I've just laid it more or less to rest for my own well being. I'm used to my cars using less than the claimed Average with my typical around town driving, and better than Extra Urban on longer drives. So having my overall consumption since bying it, including several long drives, well worse than than the listed Urban consumption is something I can easily annoy myself with

My worst consumption over a tank is 39 mpg (with the computer saying 53 mpg!) and my best is 59. My average over the car's first 8150 miles was 48.5 mpg measured. Long distance driving gives up to 67 mpg with an average speed of 45-50 mpg, but sitting at 70 mph this drops to 60 mpg. Computer is, after fitting new CPUs, spot on.

The new CPUs gave the biggest improvement in consumption. From one tank to another, same conditions, it went from 39 to 49! So what I'm saying is that if your car is really thirsty, start by demanding the latest SW update. If that doesn't help, tell them something else is off and that others have been helped with the fitting of new CPUs.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 21:04   #48
Ian Jackson

Default I am having the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
Since I probably - as per normal for me - just type too much, let me shorten the question:

What can cause a diesel to stutter and judder evry now and then?

Engine only as 2500 miles on it and has been troubled from new.
Dealer says there is nothing wrong. I have just boought the car with 8,500 miles on it. Its driving me mad. SW has been updated once. I starts differently to a brand new one although they deny this. Have you cured yours yet?
Ian Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 21:08   #49
Ian Jackson

Default cold starting d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Jackson View Post
Dealer says there is nothing wrong. I have just boought the car with 8,500 miles on it. Its driving me mad. SW has been updated once. I starts differently to a brand new one although they deny this. Have you cured yours yet?
i am at my wits end and only had the car 5 weeks
Ian Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 21:18   #50
faffi
Motorcyclist

The stutter is gone, but I had a Ford Focus loaner with the same engine, but with 95 hp, that had the same annoying stutter. That was a demo car, so you would imagine it was fitted with the latest SW, but I cannot say for sure. Had 17000 miles on the clock.

My car received 2 new CPUs (at the same time, cannot say which ones) that cured the stutter and most of the low-rpm uneven running. But it still from time to time jump like a kangaroo between idle and 1500 rpm, and at times will rev too high when taking off - you get 2000-2500 rpm when expecting 1200 rpm. There is no power, only revs, so when you feed home the clutch the engine almost stalls before going again. So now I just de-clutch and start over again if it's in the happy rev mode.

So in conclusion; my car is a lot better than it was, but it's still not perfect.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote