Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS light always on

Views : 1275

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2020, 18:25   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchael6 View Post
Ok thanks very much.

I’ve just had a proper look again and I can see there’s clearly some coolant getting out where the heater hose goes into the lower heater matrix copper pipe. There is a wet area around where it comes out of the firewall. I have tightened up the jubilee clip a good turn and a half. There isn’t any leakage that I can tell when the car is sitting. So hopefully it just wasn’t tight enough and when the cooling system was pressurised and hot it was leaking out.

The cap I bought was the green one. Which I think is 1.5 bar.

I dipped the trans fluid and it was not contaminated but the car hasn’t been parked down hill overnight.

Thanks
Hopefully you've found the leak on the heater matrix hose on the bulkhead and it's not something nasty like the heater valve (NLA) or the heater matrix itself (you might wish they were NLA when you have to change it apparently!) and the blue/green cap is indeed 1.5 bar. See if you can find a black/grey one which is 1.1bar (23psi and 16psi respectively) and better for the cooling system, especilly if there are weaknesses beginning to creep in. If you can't find a Volvo one, search for a Rover 827 cap, same thread and 1.1bar and usually cheaper, despite being mechanically identical to the Volvo one, just cosmetically different.

If you can park the car facing downhill and then dip the trans dipstick, if there is any coolant in there you should find it that way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 10:26   #22
Chrisstaite

I ran a 945 with same problem and discovered that while the ABS light was on the alternator was not charging. Revving the engine rectified that problem. A permanent cure was to buy a 745 with no ABS.
Chrisstaite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrisstaite For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 11:35   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Remind me which car you've got Will - model and year?

Is it just the ABS light or are there other lights on with it, e.g. low washer fluid, battery charge etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisstaite View Post
I ran a 945 with same problem and discovered that while the ABS light was on the alternator was not charging. Revving the engine rectified that problem. A permanent cure was to buy a 745 with no ABS.
That question was already asked! It begs the question though, why did you not notice the charge warning light in your car? Had the bulb blown and if so, why had you not noticed it before?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 12:55   #24
zchael6

Right bit more settled now down here got a few days at work under my belt. Will check those fuses. I just moved the car and noticed the ABS light went out! See how long that lasts. I felt some kind of grinding when I applied the brakes thought it might have been the abs kicking in. Was only braking when doing some parking. Hasn’t happened again.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 13:22   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchael6 View Post
Right bit more settled now down here got a few days at work under my belt. Will check those fuses. I just moved the car and noticed the ABS light went out! See how long that lasts. I felt some kind of grinding when I applied the brakes thought it might have been the abs kicking in. Was only braking when doing some parking. Hasn’t happened again.
Grinding or pulsing on the brake pedal? That's part of the self test. See if the ABS light comes on again in the future, if not, leave it alone!

Old Jun 6th, 2020, 13:28   #26
zchael6

Cheers dave