Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60/S60AWD Gearbox cooler/ TCM-002F

Views : 1829

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2019, 15:51   #1
S60AWDguy

Default S60/S60AWD Gearbox cooler/ TCM-002F

Hello,

I have a 2003 Volvo S60 AWD which I have been having some gearbox/transmission issues with. Specifically fault code TCM-002F TC lockup slipping. I have replaced the gearbox and torque converter, however I am still getting the fault. I have read an additional (separate)gearbox cooler could help with this. It would be a nice thing to have anyway, I know the XC90 2.5L comes with a AUX gearbox cooler, would this fit a S60? I was wondering has anyone fitted a gearbox cooler to a S60? What cooler did you use? Where did you mount it?
In addition if anyone has any other ideas regarding my issue with the TCM-002F code I would love some input! I have removed TCM and tested solenoids from TCM harness to solenoids. As well as a visual inspection of the harness running from TCM across front of engine to transmission. I have also ordered both new speed sensors for transmission. Hopefully they will be here soon.

Thank you for any input and advice!
Justin
S60AWDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 23:00   #2
R-P
Master Member

I had an issue with my gearbox and solved it by unplugging the big (~20pin?) plug between gearbox and wiring loom. Sprayed it with contact cleaner and it hasn't failed me since (>100,000km ago).
I had it change gears when moving the lever (like showing "D" when in reverse), so probably totally useless info for you.

As for the cooler, my car is an ex plod car and it has an extra cooler (regular V70 AWD, so not an XC). I have no clue what it is exaclty (ticked a box when ordering, XC90 version, aftermarket?), but it was not put on very neatly and I fixed that up a little when replacing the AC and intercooler radiators. It is on the bottom, in front and almost under the front most radiator.

I think I have to remove the bumber to properly get at it (which is a bitch), but can make a pic with the bumper in place to give you an idea on where it sits if you want

Last edited by R-P; Jan 17th, 2019 at 23:03.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R-P For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 02:35   #3
S60AWDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P View Post
I had an issue with my gearbox and solved it by unplugging the big (~20pin?) plug between gearbox and wiring loom. Sprayed it with contact cleaner and it hasn't failed me since (>100,000km ago).
I had it change gears when moving the lever (like showing "D" when in reverse), so probably totally useless info for you.

As for the cooler, my car is an ex plod car and it has an extra cooler (regular V70 AWD, so not an XC). I have no clue what it is exaclty (ticked a box when ordering, XC90 version, aftermarket?), but it was not put on very neatly and I fixed that up a little when replacing the AC and intercooler radiators. It is on the bottom, in front and almost under the front most radiator.

I think I have to remove the bumber to properly get at it (which is a bitch), but can make a pic with the bumper in place to give you an idea on where it sits if you want
Thank you for your input!
I have also removed the TCM and cleaned the wire loom with contact cleaner. This has unfortunately not helped, I did just order a new radiator to ensure I won’t have any glycol contamination in the gearbox later (I hear this to be more common than desirable) due to the factory gearbox cooler and radiator being shared the passage fails internally.
I would love to see pictures of your cooler under the radiator if you could manage in your free time. I would like to set something up down there but there seems to be little room and only the opening in the grillans a even smaller opening below allowing air. I did not see you a place which I can mount a cooler in this smaller opening under the grill. However it seems that is where the XC 90 mounts it’s power steering cooler and transmission cooler (if equipped) together.
Thank you, Justin
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 08:33   #4
R-P
Master Member

Default Enjoy...

General shot where it sits:

Two more details:

And an old pic from when replacing the radiators. It is dangling below the bumper. That's how small it is.

Link to original size.
That's the best I could do on short notice. Hope it helps.

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R-P For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 10:48   #5
mrdave2003
Premier Member

The Rs were fitted with a cooler behind the near side (passenger) fog light, but only if it was the AW gearbox. TF80 didn't have one.

XC90 is a similar set up to what R-P has posted above, and has been retro fitted a few times... a google search brings up quite a lot of discussion.

I've been looking into adding a cooler to my '07 G/T and was hoping for a factory fit option if possible... not got the definitive answer yet! but there are options at least
mrdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdave2003 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 11:17   #6
S60AWDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P View Post
General shot where it sits:

Two more details:

And an old pic from when replacing the radiators. It is dangling below the bumper. That's how small it is.

Link to original size.
That's the best I could do on short notice. Hope it helps.
Thank you for the pictures, you definitely have much bigger openings in your bumper cover for the proper air flow. I’ll have to take mine off when I do the radiator replacement (part arrived yesterday). Hopefully there is a suitable place to mount a new cooler.

Thank you, Justin
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 11:21   #7
S60AWDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdave2003 View Post
The Rs were fitted with a cooler behind the near side (passenger) fog light, but only if it was the AW gearbox. TF80 didn't have one.

XC90 is a similar set up to what R-P has posted above, and has been retro fitted a few times... a google search brings up quite a lot of discussion.

I've been looking into adding a cooler to my '07 G/T and was hoping for a factory fit option if possible... not got the definitive answer yet! but there are options at least

Dave,

Thank you for the input, I was not aware of the r model getting a cooler. This is something I’ll need to look into. Like you I was hoping for a “factory solution” however to buy this cooler from VOLVO it’s over 700 US. I have seen lots of other options for aftermarket cooler which I could retrofit. This could possibly be the only option. For now I will research the r models cooler location and design.

Thank you, Justin
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 12:42   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Below is the definition of the code from Vida.
You can also use
Diagnostics>Vehicle Communication >TCM >Parameters
or
Diagnostics>Vehicle Communication >TCM >Activations

in order to view live data or activate the solenoid.

The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 13:39   #9
S60AWDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Below is the definition of the code from Vida.
You can also use
Diagnostics>Vehicle Communication >TCM >Parameters
or
Diagnostics>Vehicle Communication >TCM >Activations

in order to view live data or activate the solenoid.

Thank you Simon,
I was looking for this path with no luck. I will get on VIDA tonight after work.

Thank you, Justin
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 05:19   #10
S60AWDguy

Default Resolved

I am pleased to announce that I have fixed the issue. I have now driven 3,000 miles on the car since. The shifting is smooth and responsive with no flares of any kind.

The problem which caused this long wild goose chase was actually "faulty speed sensors" located on the gearbox.
No codes were in the system for these sensors and when they were checked, they fell with in tolerance ohms.

However, after both sensors were replaced the speed inputs showed much closer results. The attached graph shows the correlation change. Graph 1.jpg