Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brakes!

Views : 554

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 20:11   #1
Peterjohnbull
VOC Member

Default Brakes!

Hi

I am looking to get my brakes done on the 1965 P1800S, both back and front. It has been a while since they were looked at.

I am trying for a local garage. Anything I need to consider?

Cheers

Pete
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 21:41   #2
JP 1800
Master Member

Do they or you have the correct rear drum puller? Those rear drums can be a pain to remove and more so damaged by using a generic puller. Other than that there is nothing complicated about the braking system. Lastly, every time I do the rear brakes I like to make sure the adjuster has been lubed with copper grease as they seize up easily due to cathodic reaction of the steel and alloy.
JP 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JP 1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 22:55   #3
Peterjohnbull
VOC Member

That leads to the obvious question... How do I get a correct puller!

Thank you

Pete
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 23:23   #4
JP 1800
Master Member

Brookhouse sell them, but not too cheap at £82. Maybe a member on here can be persuaded to loan you one, I would but the logistics are not suitable.
JP 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JP 1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 09:40   #5
Peterjohnbull
VOC Member

What about the Brook house supplied REPRODUCTION ONE PIECE FRONT BRAKE DISC & HUB Assemble.

As seen here https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...Single_Circuit.

Are they worthwhile?
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 10:01   #6
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjohnbull View Post
What about the Brook house supplied REPRODUCTION ONE PIECE FRONT BRAKE DISC & HUB Assemble.

As seen here https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...Single_Circuit.

Are they worthwhile?
I've just bought a set for my PV (from VP in Sweden) - they look like they are of good quality. They obviously have less of a life span than the original hub and disc combination - you need to consider what to do with wheel bearings (in particular it is pretty bad practice to put worn bearings into new cups or vice versa - so wheel bearings should be considered in the price saving)

For my situation I needed new wheel bearings as well as new discs so it kind of works out OK for a short term fix. I don't expect to be piling the miles on the PV once I get it back running so I've sprayed the all in one discs with VHT caliper paint to help keep the rust on the non friction parts at bay.

Because these aren't exchange parts I still have the original two part system to repair if needed in the future.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 12:23   #7
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

The hub assembly looks very good value even taking into account the bearing.

I would not bother replacing the lot (discs hub so on)unless the discs are worn or are out of true and badlly corroded and/or the bearings are buggered.

You can get the discs re skimmed on the car if there is enough meat on them.

as others have said the rear drums ..you need a puller otherwise it will be disasterous ..OH and when the drums come off make sure you remember the oriantation of the woodruff key..clumsby assembley will bugger the drum.

Tke your time and you will be fine

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 17:51   #8
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

You can buy caliper repair kits, but they're a hell of a fiddle and for their worth, quite pricey if you consider the price of these factory refurbished complete calipers, pressure tested, shot-blasted and coated, new nipples, pistons and seals:

http://www.cheapbrakecalipers.co.uk/...g-ca97-6578462

They're done by a very reputable company - I've visited the place - and I strongly recommend.

At the same time, I would definitely replace all flexible hoses underneath the car.

In terms of at the rear, for the cost of new brake cylinders, I would just go for it. As well, having fannied about trying to set up the brakes properly with elderly handbrake cables and failed, for the relative low cost of a new pair, I would recommend doing that too. I was amazed at the difference in brake performance with good new cables.

In terms of friction material, at the rear the shoes available from Brookhouse are as good as any. I'm told genuine Volvo are really, really good at the front, but I can't speak from experience. I have EBC Greenstuff pads at the front of my Amazon. They're alright. I got them cheaply when I visited the factory.

For sure, re-seal the master cylinder. It's a fiddly job, but worth doing.

What servo do you have? If you have a Lockheed, they can be a nuissance to bleed. There are many recommendations, but mine is to bleed the slave cylinder of the servo prior to moving onto the bleed nipples; the servo annoyingly sits higher than the brake fluid reservoir.

I know you're a long way away from Devon, but myself and my good friend who's worked at Volvo for 22 yrs+ are taking on mechanical work on old Volvos at a price that would make driving the old car down here worthwhile!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Oct 24th, 2018 at 17:53.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 19:26   #9
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

I can only echo the previous post....tried Green stuff pads ...not a fan very poor in terms of heat and wear...tried Ferrodo ..all good....as for calipers there is nothing unusal about then,,,,,big red will refurbish if you want,,,,the calipers were used in a number of cars..E types included

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CLIVERALLY For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 07:17   #10
davidw6092

Default Hub Puller

I am in Banbury,Oxfordshire if that is close to you.I have a hub puller if you need one to borrow,or you can do your rear brakes at my workshop if that helps.Dave.
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidw6092 For This Useful Post: