Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 1.6d

Views : 970

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 21:06   #1
C30fan

Default C30 1.6d

Hello folks, I now have a C30 1.6D and I am very pleased with it.

Looks, comfort, handling, equipment, performance, economy, safety - this car has it all!

Yes I did mention performance - the 1.6D accelerates and cruises very nicely and is also impressively quiet (unlike the 2.0D and D5 if reports are to be believed). It's averaging 43mpg on the second tank full and I'm hoping for further improvement! Despite the lowly engine designation this thing is NOT a slug thanks to the relatively light C30 and 177lbs torque available from low revs.

Handling/ride balance is excellent. Over my normal commuting route it can take corners at similar speeds to my MX-5 and the ride is far superior over the bumps permitting higher cruising speeds in safety...

Space? Well possibly Volvo veterans with big estates might find it small but I think it's a perfect size. Why drive a bigger car than you need? Rear seats are fine and the boot has confounded all the naysayers in the motoring press and has proved more than adequate for my everyday needs. OK I'm not expecting it to serve as a removal van but I bought with my eyes open. Also with the dark glass tailgate you can't see the boot contents that easily.

The High Performance Audio upgrade is well worth the money, offering 8 speakers, AUX input, 6xCD changer and good sound quality (unlike the standard system).

Highly recommended. I'm more than happy to answer any questions.
C30fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 13:07   #2
alcorn1721

your comments about the dark glass tailgate interested me.

when i ordered my c30(now due in about a week) the dealer tried so sell me dark tints for the side and rear windows citing the security aspects. the labour cost over material cost and the "what's he hiding" factor put me off. i see that volvo list net sunshades for the rear and rear side windows at £30 which could do the same job. i also note that on the build your c30 part of the volvo website that the hard load cover(which wasn't available when i ordered) is now an option at £150. i am definitely considering these as future additions.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 00:05   #3
James_N
VOC Member

Congrats on the new motor

I have yet to see a C30 on the roads. I think this is (imo) because they are very expensive for what they are.

But still, as long as you like it, thats all that matters
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 00:57   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcorn1721 View Post
your comments about the dark glass tailgate interested me.

when i ordered my c30(now due in about a week) the dealer tried so sell me dark tints for the side and rear windows citing the security aspects. the labour cost over material cost and the "what's he hiding" factor put me off. i see that volvo list net sunshades for the rear and rear side windows at £30 which could do the same job. i also note that on the build your c30 part of the volvo website that the hard load cover(which wasn't available when i ordered) is now an option at £150. i am definitely considering these as future additions.
The one distinct advantage of tints over the net screen is that it is fixed to the glass.
Should some oik decide that he/she/it is going to have a go at your car, the tint makes getting through the glass that much more difficult.
It also restricts athe amount of broken glass that would end up rattling around in the car for the next x years..

There is also a company that sells/fits a security "tint" that is near impossible to get through..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 23:40   #5
C30fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
Congrats on the new motor

I have yet to see a C30 on the roads. I think this is (imo) because they are very expensive for what they are.

But still, as long as you like it, thats all that matters
Fair comment James, I do think the car is overpriced but I liked it so much I bought it anyway. Volvo priced it to match the Audi A3 but I feel it should be say £1500 cheaper. And when you consider that you can get a nice discount on an A3 it's no wonder they're not shifting many C30's. However we are already seeing the first signs of C30 discounts appearing so this situation may correct itself before too long. Meantime I'm happy to drive a rare vehicle
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 00:11   #6
James_N
VOC Member

oh, and you cant talk about your car and not post some pictures! Put some up Ive not seen much of the C30.