Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nivomat

Views : 464

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2023, 09:11   #1
robv70rdesign

Default Nivomat

Hi all
Last mot had "slight misting on rear shock/damper" mot now due beginning of Feb and wondering if I need to swap now or wait. Always been told replace shocks/dampers in pairs but £700 each😬... Any thoughts on just replacing the one, or just replacing the one with one from a breakers?
Also got a creaking noise from front end, swapped drop links and tie rods but no better, now thinking either top strut mounts or control arms. Any quick way to check?

Now wondering if its time to swap or fix and keep and then get a weekend car!!!

2011 v70 1.6d 1R Design 175k. Its my comuter car about 50miles a day mixed motorway and A roads.
Thanks
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 12:38   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robv70rdesign View Post
Hi all
Last mot had "slight misting on rear shock/damper" mot now due beginning of Feb and wondering if I need to swap now or wait. Always been told replace shocks/dampers in pairs but £700 each😬... Any thoughts on just replacing the one, or just replacing the one with one from a breakers?
Also got a creaking noise from front end, swapped drop links and tie rods but no better, now thinking either top strut mounts or control arms. Any quick way to check?

2011 v70 1.6d 1R Design 175k. Its my comuter car about 50miles a day mixed motorway and A roads.
Thanks
Nivomats are either working or not and on that basis it is entirely acceptable to replace just one.

A used one would be an excellent option.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 06:30   #3
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Hi all

Thanks
Re shocks - if money is tight then why not one good used unit with some form of warranty, say 30days, to allow a period of testing to prove your not faced with another leaking unit.

I had creak on my XC70...wasn't any of the suspension components. It was actually the headlight leveling sensor knuckle. Took me ages to locate the creak to this. The steel ball had corroded in the rubber sleeve. The sound was magnified through the control arm its attached to.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 16:30   #4
robv70rdesign

Thank you, puts my mind at rest a bit with a used one. Off to send a few breakers an email. I take it there is a differance between the r design and non r design versions??
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 11:41   #5
Puffster

I did a LOT of research on these, trying to find a manufacturer who provided aftermarket Nivomats for my XC70. Answer none, though there is a company that do them for XC90s. Looking through eBay/breakers, they know the price of these and they're generally not cheap either and with dubious history.
In the end I bit the bullet and went to one of the forum sponsors, FRF Volvo in Swansea and with the "Forum Discount" it came in at around £450.
If nothing else, its worth giving them a shout with your reg to find out what it would be.
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 13:10   #6
Ant B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffster View Post
I did a LOT of research on these, trying to find a manufacturer who provided aftermarket Nivomats for my XC70. Answer none, though there is a company that do them for XC90s. Looking through eBay/breakers, they know the price of these and they're generally not cheap either and with dubious history.
In the end I bit the bullet and went to one of the forum sponsors, FRF Volvo in Swansea and with the "Forum Discount" it came in at around £450.
If nothing else, its worth giving them a shout with your reg to find out what it would be.
Same; looked around for quite a while and couldn't find any aftermarket options (other than replacing entire suspension set-up, including mounts etc. as Nivomats have different mounts to standard V70 suspension, worked out no cheaper really). I also ruled out second-hand, given they still seemed to be 50%+ of the new cost and had no guarantee of condition, but that was just my personal choice.

I got them (new) for £473 each in the end from a local garage, replaced both (only one was leaking) and it improved the car no end; didn't seem as 'boat-like' going into corners plus the back end felt much more tied down. I hadn't noticed it being particularly bad, but over speed bumps in particular it now just levels itself out nicely whereas before the back end would bounce a couple of times. Think mine had about 130,000 on when I replaced them.

Quote:
Thank you, puts my mind at rest a bit with a used one. Off to send a few breakers an email. I take it there is a differance between the r design and non r design versions??
No, there is only one version; Nivomats were an option on all V70s and standard on R-Design V70s (of this age, 2011). Same Nivomat shock, just the R-Design springs are different (is my understanding, happy to be corrected though)...
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 19:35   #7
Puffster

I only replaced one at about 190k. The other on 210k now is absolutely fine

Only replace what needs it
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 13:23   #8
robv70rdesign

Thanks all
Will try FRF and see what they can do.
Thanks