Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0 Diesel D4204T White smoke... Blown Head Gasket?...

Views : 2295

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 21:06   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRYES View Post
We've put k seal in and it's not worked. We called them and they were surprised and are sending us a free bottle.
how did you apply it, and where did you think the leak was ?
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 08:59   #12
guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRYES View Post
We've put k seal in and it's not worked. We called them and they were surprised and are sending us a free bottle.
I had already drained the old coolant and refilled with de-ionised water (from Tesco) and fresh red coolant. When I did the K-Seal treatment I added it to the expansion tank and let the engine idle with the cap off for about 10-15mins then put the cap back on and left it idling for about two hours (it was a very cold evening!). The smoke stopped after about 20-30mins but I left it longer as the temp guage was only on 3 notches and normal temp is 5. Even after two hours it was still sat on 3 notches but the smoke had stopped and I thought the job was done. I couldn't take it for a drive at the time as the car was still SORN and not insured. After letting it cool down and sorting out the tax/insurance in the meantime I took it for a drive later in the evening and it was smoking again. I was doing short laps around my neighborhood regularly stopping under a nearby flood light to check for smoke. Once the engine got to full temperature the smoke stopped and I haven't seen it since. I assume that on my first attempt the engine didn't get hot enough to make a decent seal.

As mentioned in my previous post I've been driving the car for two weeks now and haven't seen a whiff of smoke. I will likely do the head gasket in summer, if I do I'll post some pics on this thread, I'm keen to see where the failure was and what the k-seal looks like inside the engine. Hopefully it won't create too much more work cleaning it all out...
guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 10:30   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
I had already drained the old coolant and refilled with de-ionised water (from Tesco) and fresh red coolant. When I did the K-Seal treatment I added it to the expansion tank and let the engine idle with the cap off for about 10-15mins then put the cap back on and left it idling for about two hours (it was a very cold evening!). The smoke stopped after about 20-30mins but I left it longer as the temp guage was only on 3 notches and normal temp is 5. Even after two hours it was still sat on 3 notches but the smoke had stopped and I thought the job was done. I couldn't take it for a drive at the time as the car was still SORN and not insured. After letting it cool down and sorting out the tax/insurance in the meantime I took it for a drive later in the evening and it was smoking again. I was doing short laps around my neighborhood regularly stopping under a nearby flood light to check for smoke. Once the engine got to full temperature the smoke stopped and I haven't seen it since. I assume that on my first attempt the engine didn't get hot enough to make a decent seal.

As mentioned in my previous post I've been driving the car for two weeks now and haven't seen a whiff of smoke. I will likely do the head gasket in summer, if I do I'll post some pics on this thread, I'm keen to see where the failure was and what the k-seal looks like inside the engine. Hopefully it won't create too much more work cleaning it all out...

well the first mistake was putting it in the coolant bottle , there is no real circulation in there to carry the K seal around , I would advise take the top radiator hose off and pour it in there , that way it will stay there until the engine gets up to temperature then will rapidly circulate to all parts of the engine and system .

The second mistake was not driving , the coolant flow is nowhere near fast enough when idling neither can it get hot enough ... a diesel generates very little heat when idling , a new thermostat is needed by the sound of it .

from what you say above i would not be surprised if your problem was condensation in the exhaust , do you do plenty of short journeys?

K seal consists of minute fibres of copper which are carried in suspension , and then settle in the crack , the other additive is a substance which hardens when it gets in contact with the air , so it solidifies around the copper fibres making a permanent repair . It is harmless and will fix any other leaks as time goes by , use a decent volvo coolant it is better quality and value than anything else .
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 18:59   #14
guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well the first mistake was putting it in the coolant bottle , there is no real circulation in there to carry the K seal around , I would advise take the top radiator hose off and pour it in there , that way it will stay there until the engine gets up to temperature then will rapidly circulate to all parts of the engine and system .

The second mistake was not driving , the coolant flow is nowhere near fast enough when idling neither can it get hot enough ... a diesel generates very little heat when idling , a new thermostat is needed by the sound of it .

from what you say above i would not be surprised if your problem was condensation in the exhaust , do you do plenty of short journeys?

K seal consists of minute fibres of copper which are carried in suspension , and then settle in the crack , the other additive is a substance which hardens when it gets in contact with the air , so it solidifies around the copper fibres making a permanent repair . It is harmless and will fix any other leaks as time goes by , use a decent volvo coolant it is better quality and value than anything else .
I think you've confused my post with TIGEREYES. I'm the OP and was sharing my experience. Fwiw I followed the instructions on the label and spoke to K-Seal UK for advice before use and I have a successful repair so far. Before the repair I had removed the dpf and cleaned it using Wynn's off car DPF cleaner and replaced the rest of the exhaust system from the dpf back so defo not condensation.
guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 20:42   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
I think you've confused my post with TIGEREYES. I'm the OP and was sharing my experience. Fwiw I followed the instructions on the label and spoke to K-Seal UK for advice before use and I have a successful repair so far. Before the repair I had removed the dpf and cleaned it using Wynn's off car DPF cleaner and replaced the rest of the exhaust system from the dpf back so defo not condensation.
Sorry you are right , it is confusing sometimes ! What i wrote is still the way to use K seal however . Merry Christmas 🎅