Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR recall fix

Views : 6647

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2019, 20:53   #41
vman99
Estateman

Default Temperature gauge

Hi clan,
I note what you say about the engine temperature being very stable, the instuments flagging up a problem probably quicker than the driver looking at temperature gauge and I think you are right regarding your 47 years experience with 60,000 Volvos.

However the fact that a temperature gauge is miissing, means I do not know when the engine has warmed up enough for me to give the car some spirited driving.

To conclude I think your defence of Volvo shows great loyalty to the brand, but in this instant the car would be much better if it had a proper temperature gauge, and for that matter an oil dip stick too.

2019 V60 D4 Manual. Fusion Red.

Last edited by vman99; Nov 28th, 2019 at 20:57.
vman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vman99 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 21:48   #42
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman99 View Post
Hi clan,
I note what you say about the engine temperature being very stable, the instuments flagging up a problem probably quicker than the driver looking at temperature gauge and I think you are right regarding your 47 years experience with 60,000 Volvos.

However the fact that a temperature gauge is miissing, means I do not know when the engine has warmed up enough for me to give the car some spirited driving.

To conclude I think your defence of Volvo shows great loyalty to the brand, but in this instant the car would be much better if it had a proper temperature gauge, and for that matter an oil dip stick too.
Thanks for the comments ,,,

The engine is up to temperature in around 3 minutes or less from driving away in any volvo from the 240 to current day models .... you can tell that by how quickly you get hot air from the heater .. the cooling circuits work in a different way these days by letting the cylinder head warm up first before the block , it is all about emissions rather than your comfort no doubt !
The Pauper's 8" LCD instrument panel on the new range of volvos has a temperature gauge .. Who knows the reason for not having a dipstick or temperature gauge on some models..... I would say that it is because the vast majority of people who drive these cars would not have the slightest interest as he has always been used to his or her's previous volvo with temperature gauge not budging from N for the last 10 years or however long they have had the car so never look at it with the need to keep your eyes on the road considering the standards of driving we see now .
Same goes with the dipstick historically the engines never used any oil between services and hence every time they dipped the oil it would be boringly correct so they gave up checking it .

Coming bang up to date , volvo have perfected the ultrasonic oil level gauge over the last 13 years since they introduced it , the system knows to 200ml how much oil is in there , providing the correct oil change method has been carried out ...
Your attention will soon be drawn to a red light and message that come up on the instrument panel for probably hundreds of reasons including low oil level or overheating or over cooling engine .
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 00:44   #43
kooamkoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Thanks for the comments ,,,

The engine is up to temperature in around 3 minutes or less from driving away in any volvo from the 240 to current day models .... you can tell that by how quickly you get hot air from the heater ..
Pretty bold statement to say Mr. Clan, engine is up to temperature in around 3 minutes...
Sure? No matter if it's +20 or -20 outside?

I agree with vman99, temperature gauge would be nice to have.
Even if it's too much information for some, it should be doable to show it for those who'd like to see it...it's 12" screen, there is space for it.
kooamkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 01:10   #44
Quacker
Premier Member

It isn’t as bold as you might imagine. What matters is combustion chamber and piston temperature, which should indeed be up to ‘normal’ operating temperature by about 3 minutes of normal driving. Coolant temp may take a good while more to rise, which indicates that it it is not a good indicator of the engine’s operating temperature in real time. For the whole cylinder block and components to all reach operating temperature, including or excluding the transmission, then the coolant will likely have risen to normal a good while before them, which again emphasises how misleading the coolant temperature is at indicating anything other than the temperature of the coolant, which the absence of a gauge shows is not at all critical.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 01:43   #45
Ringthane
VOC Member

I know it’s getting slightly off topic, but I’m amazed, given the use of a digital driver display, that Volvo hasn’t given us more to play with, like a temperature gauge, if we want it.

If Audi can do it, why can’t Volvo?
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 07:21   #46
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
I know it’s getting slightly off topic, but I’m amazed, given the use of a digital driver display, that Volvo hasn’t given us more to play with, like a temperature gauge, if we want it.

If Audi can do it, why can’t Volvo?
If you prefer Audi, buy an Audi. The Volvo way is different and minimalist.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 10:10   #47
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooamkoo View Post
Pretty bold statement to say Mr. Clan, engine is up to temperature in around 3 minutes...
Sure? No matter if it's +20 or -20 outside?

I agree with vman99, temperature gauge would be nice to have.
Even if it's too much information for some, it should be doable to show it for those who'd like to see it...it's 12" screen, there is space for it.
well maybe 7 minutes if it is -20C It has only reached -20 in UK Once in my lifetime and that was in 1981 .... Whatever the case the engine is warmed up to N within a couple of miles .... in my long experience .
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 12:47   #48
m2srt

My wife's previous car, 2015 V40 CC D4 Geartronic, had the EGR issue. Whilst the fix meant that the problem never returned it did substantially compromise performance. The car went from feeling like a small hatchback with 190ps to actually feeling closer to around 160ps. Her new XC60 B4 feels so much stronger even though it only has 7PS more and a substantial weight penalty.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.

Last edited by m2srt; Dec 7th, 2019 at 14:38.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 10:10   #49
neon
Premier Member

EGR fix has now been done, along with November software update and Intellisafe upgrade. Not really noticed anything changed.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 10:20   #50
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
EGR fix has now been done, along with November software update and Intellisafe upgrade. Not really noticed anything changed.
Thats not the official recall though is it ? As Far as I know it is still not launched ...