Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide to Pollen Filter change

Views : 69335

Replies : 201

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:13   #1
Welton
Premier Member

Default Guide to Pollen Filter change

Here's how I changed my Pollen Filter (multi filter):

Note; this is a horrible job, takes about an hour but I'd say you could do it in 30 mins next time around. I am 40 and probably not as agile as I used to be but some of the positions required to do this job will test your patience for sure. I've got quite a few minor cuts, saw elbows and a bruised hip! anyway, I'll soldier on....

First up, get this bit of carpet down in the PASSENGER foot well by pressing lightly in the centre of the two round 'popper' fixings:

This is what's up there, and in the way of the job:

This fuse holder/CEM unit needs to be lowered and pulled clear of its mounting bracket you release the unit with the two turn-buckle things. Here you can see where the unit can be lowered for changing fuses or pulled clear of the bracket:

The unit lowered down:

And the unit lowered (pull the carpeting down first) ignore the plastic trims I removed, that was me investigating the access:

Now you need to get the white bracket off (because it's in the way of the filter 'door') by undoing the two 13mm nuts using a socket on an extension bar, I just let the bracket fall down out of the way (careful not to drop the nuts though because they fall behind the carpet - twice in my case!):

Now get the pollen filter cover plate off, this should have 3 x 7mm? hex-head screws but mine only had one in the centre (dealers probably lost the others or gave up the will to live at this point so one it is) the cover pulls slightly towards the bulkhead as it has a 'tab' along its length:

Me reaching to get the screw out by hand so it didn't drop somewhere:

Now, wrestle the old filter out by pulling to the left - you'll have to squash it down to get it past the CEM etc and some bits of leaves and stuff will fall out - I used a long hoover nozzle to vacuum the bits up and got my finger in the empty filter casing to flick out for any bits.

The new one has to be offered 'up' the back of the bulkhead to clear the wiring looms and then brought down level with the filter box and pushed in - again the filter squashes down when you need which helps:

To compare, the old one has done about 14,000 miles in 17 months, that's 'if' it got changed at the previous service. Also note the direction of airflow is marked on the filter and must be fitted the correct way, for reference the air comes from the front of the car towards the Radio:

When you put the CEM/fuse holder back (remember to replace that white bracket) be careful as the wiring connectors can 'unhook' themselves one did it twice on me and was labelled 'cockpit 2' - just make sure the connectors are seated fully on both sides of the unit:

I was getting a slight smell each time I started the car and this has cleared. As I said it's a horrible job but manageable with simple tools and some patience. It is also possible to do without disconnecting the battery or unplugging the CEM which prevents possible faults later.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)

Last edited by Welton; Sep 26th, 2011 at 12:29.
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:35   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Excellent!

Nice little guide there.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:38   #3
DCN85

Brilliant. Been looking for a photo guide to this for ages.
DCN85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 12:22   #4
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCN85 View Post
Brilliant. Been looking for a photo guide to this for ages.
That is why I did it because I couldn't find one, well, I did find one and went off on a huge mission mistakenly following a LEFT HAND DRIVE guide and even got the cover plate off of the Heater Matrix! a FAR worse job than the pollen filter but all in vein.

I hate to say this but I can't help thinking some garages would skip this job if they could get away with it.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 13:16   #5
kebab10
Premier Member

Done that. Absolute pig of a job I found. What a ridiculous place to put it. I found one of those plugs in the CEM "tray" a little devil as it looked fine on shutting but then gave me no power at all. Right little b****r.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 23:45   #6
blacklab

This is a great thread! Thanks.
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 00:51   #7
froggyted
Master Member

Your description is very similar to that given in the Haynes manual, except that their first step is to remove the glovebox! D'oh, i doubt very much that a Volvo technician would do that! I would suspect that a Volvo technician would do the job in about 15-20 minutes, but it does seem a very fiddly job for something that's meant to be done every service, and one wonders whether it's sometimes skipped.
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 02:58   #8
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Good guide, might have a crack at doing it myself, was put off by all the other guides saying to remove the glovebox as froggyted said.

Slightly off topic, does anyone know the part number for that bit of carpet, one of my poppers is broke so it dangles down no matter how many times I try to wedge it up.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 08:00   #9
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Good guide, might have a crack at doing it myself, was put off by all the other guides saying to remove the glovebox as froggyted said.

Slightly off topic, does anyone know the part number for that bit of carpet, one of my poppers is broke so it dangles down no matter how many times I try to wedge it up.
Best to ring FRF or someone for a price, I don't think it would cost much.

I looked at removing the glovebox but couldn't really see it helping much so seeing as I managed without it then I guess my way works ok (albeit a right faff about) I'm still aching today with a stiff neck!
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 01:04   #10
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Removing the glovebox is actually very easy and doubles your working space!

I literally disconnected everything from the CEM and chucked the unit on the back seat out of the way. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY if you're unplugging stuff from the CEM unit however! You get a horrible beeping noise if you dont.

It's a very fiddly job, but anyone can do it with a basic set of sockets and screw drivers.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:

Tags
vaiotag