Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine system service urgent!!

Views : 1089

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2019, 17:25   #1
Rids666

Default Engine system service urgent!!

Hi all. Hoping someone can help me with a problem that has just started happening on my 08 V70 D5 185. When accelerating hard I can hear a loud whooshing type noise in the cabin coming from the engine (like a turbo spoiling up but much louder and it's not the turbo if that makes sense?!?). Now the car hasn't got any power and Engine system service urgent has come on the dash and the cars in a sort of limp home mode.
Tried hooking it up to a obd2 reader but no error codes are displayed. Even in limp home mode I can still hear the turbo working so pretty sure it's working fine.
Anybody have any ideas what this could be. The cars done 150k and not worth a huge amount so really want to avoid taking it to a stealer.
Also has anyone got vide/dice in the rugby area?
Thanks all

Previously: Volvo V70 D5 mk3 07 silver manual 156k RIP
Rids666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 18:25   #2
reggit
Premier Member

Hello from an intruder from P2 land!

Assuming it’s similar to the P2 engine, look at the rubber inlet pipe on the turbo (down the back of the engine). If it’s squishy, it needs changing. They go soft with age and collapse under acceleration starving the turbo and bringing up engine service required. When they’re really knackered they split on the underside which then gives quite a loud turbo spooling noise.

May be totally different on your car, but worth a check.
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 23:37   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Definitely check hoses on turbo and the rest of the intercooler pipework.

Sounds like a pipe has popped off or split

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 09:39   #4
Rids666

Thanks for the advice. I'm surprised the issue doesn't throw up a fault code that my obd reader could see. Would make diagnosis a hell of a lot easier.

Old Dec 20th, 2019, 10:37   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids666 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm surprised the issue doesn't throw up a fault code that my obd reader could see. Would make diagnosis a hell of a lot easier.
get someone to rev the engine hard and you should feel a rush of air from which ever turbo hose has blown , favourite is the one from intercooler to throttle body under the air filter casing ..
Old Dec 21st, 2019, 07:57   #6
green van man
Premier Member

I had a turbo pipe fret through on my 460 years ago, cost of replacement then was £125 for the pipe alone. I wrapped it in self amalgamating tape and bound that with good quality insulation tape. In the 4 years between the repair and the car being written off I had no further problem. That threw no codes but it was as if the tap had been turned off periodically.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2019, 11:44   #7
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids666 View Post
Hi all. Hoping someone can help me with a problem that has just started happening on my 08 V70 D5 185. When accelerating hard I can hear a loud whooshing type noise in the cabin coming from the engine (like a turbo spoiling up but much louder and it's not the turbo if that makes sense?!?). Now the car hasn't got any power and Engine system service urgent has come on the dash and the cars in a sort of limp home mode.
Tried hooking it up to a obd2 reader but no error codes are displayed. Even in limp home mode I can still hear the turbo working so pretty sure it's working fine.
Anybody have any ideas what this could be. The cars done 150k and not worth a huge amount so really want to avoid taking it to a stealer.
Also has anyone got vide/dice in the rugby area?
Thanks all
I wouldn't panic too much, like others have said it's likely a pipe and Clan is usually right. I think my D3 split the host he mentions at less than 100k. I had wooshing sounds for a week before a code came up. Hose replaced, been fine ever since.
Old Dec 21st, 2019, 19:03   #8
Rids666

Thanks to all the advice everyone. Going to get xmas out the way and then have a good look to see if I can find a damaged hose.
I'll post my findings. Hopefully positive ones.
Cheers all

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rids666 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 20:12   #9
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Don't leave it too long because you will probably find that the next message that eventually appears is "Soot Filter Full" which will be directly linked to the fault that you now have.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 19:23   #10
Rids666

Managed to have a good look around the engine to see if I could work out where the problem was. Turned out the hose between the egr valve and the inlet manifold had come off. Not completely but enough to allow the gases to escape. Took the hose off and it was full of gunk. Problem solved but looks like I'm going to have to give the egr valve a good clean now.
Cars on 150k so guess this is to be expected!
Thanks all for your advice

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rids666 For This Useful Post: