Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to fix parking sensors?

Views : 1273

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2020, 16:06   #1
StatusRed
Premier Member

Question How to fix parking sensors?

The parking sensors on my C70 used to work and now they do not..

When you put the car in reverse the parking sensor emits a continuous beep for about 5 seconds then seems to detect nothing when reversing, there's no other sound except the initial 5 second long tone. Is this signifiying an error?

In my efforts to try and fix this I tried using contact cleaner on wires / connectors in the boot and the parking sensor control unit, I then tried replacing the control unit (part number 9187071) but it's made no difference.

Does anyone know what the problem is likely to be?

Do I need to get the rear bumper off and replace all the parking sensors themselves?

Thanks.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2020, 17:58   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Most likely the sensors. The bumper has to come off and then be dismantled to get to the sensors and wiring. All straightforward but a bit tedious. Skandix sell sensors that are the exact same as genuine Volvo. If replacing the sensors, they will need to be painted.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2020, 21:17   #3
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Most likely the sensors. The bumper has to come off and then be dismantled to get to the sensors and wiring. All straightforward but a bit tedious. Skandix sell sensors that are the exact same as genuine Volvo. If replacing the sensors, they will need to be painted.
Hmm this is going to get expensive quickly. I'm assuming it's best to replace the whole lot in 1 go, rather than trying to work out which one is faulty?

Old May 2nd, 2020, 23:50   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Hmm this is going to get expensive quickly. I'm assuming it's best to replace the whole lot in 1 go, rather than trying to work out which one is faulty?
I replaced all mine when I had an issue. I worked on the principle of it being quite an involved job to take the bumper apart I may as well replace all as they are all the same age and if one has gone the others probably would soon.

The bumper comes off the car easily enough and the sensor loom undoes at the control box and is removed with the bumper. Slide the bumper back a few inches and there is a large rubber grommet by the rear lights where the loom feeds through. Remove the grommet and feed the loom out of the car. Also there is a FM aerial in the drivers side of the bumper. The cable for this also goes through a grommet and connects to a little control box by the rear light. Disconnect in the same way as the sensor loom. Once the bumper is off the car the outer cover needs to be un-clipped from the support beam to access the wiring loom and sensors.

Attachment shows bumper removed and large hole below light cluster where the loom goes through. Second: new sensors installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20171223_001.jpg (149.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20171223_002.jpg (157.4 KB, 15 views)
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2020, 00:11   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I replaced all mine when I had an issue. I worked on the principle of it being quite an involved job to take the bumper apart I may as well replace all as they are all the same age and if one has gone the others probably would soon.

The bumper comes off the car easily enough and the sensor loom undoes at the control box and is removed with the bumper. Slide the bumper back a few inches and there is a large rubber grommet by the rear lights where the loom feeds through. Remove the grommet and feed the loom out of the car. Also there is a FM aerial in the drivers side of the bumper. The cable for this also goes through a grommet and connects to a little control box by the rear light. Disconnect in the same way as the sensor loom. Once the bumper is off the car the outer cover needs to be un-clipped from the support beam to access the wiring loom and sensors.

Attachment shows bumper removed and large hole below light cluster where the loom goes through. Second: new sensors installed.
Cheers mate thanks for that. I had wondered what that little blue box was inside the boot! Now I know it's the FM box thanks.

I've just ordered aftermarket replacements for half the cost so hopefully they last.. I'll swap them all out at some point soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2020, 19:25   #6
StatusRed
Premier Member

Had the rear bumper off today with my third party new parking sensors (£36 for 4 new), was a bit of an annoying and painful (cut hands) job but they're in and seem to be working fine

The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:

Tags
c70, electrics, parking, sensors