Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Scrapping / breaking 2001 V40 1.8Gdi - what's worth saving?

Views : 388

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2020, 14:42   #1
theboymike

Default Scrapping / breaking 2001 V40 1.8Gdi - what's worth saving?

So, thanks to cat theft it looks like I'll be writing off my V40

I have an offer from the local scrappy and I'm currently considering selling anything easily removable / of reasonable value from the vehicle before getting them to collect it.

Being a Gdi I know the throttle bodies are worth around £100-150 so that'll be coming off; while the car has a decent full-leather interior so I suspect this might be worth a few quid too if someone's willing to come and remove it.

Gallingly it's just had a new battery and tank of fuel; which I'll be looking to drain as much as possible before it goes (and would welcome any tips as to how to do this - I'm guessing the filler has anti-syphon measures).

The car still drives and is low-ish mileage (about 85k) but I don't have the facility to remove any large parts like the engine and box.

Is there anything else that might be worth removing before it goes for scrap?

Alternatively I'd be open to selling the car whole if there's likely to be any interest (please note this isn't a sales post, only a request for advice at this stage) but I need to make back as much on it as possible as I'm skint and need to fund a replacement. Would anyone care to guess what the car might be worth whole?

As always any thoughts much appreciated
theboymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2020, 17:20   #2
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

theboymike: If you've got the time and space you'd sell everything but the shell and subframes.
SRS module in the center console
SRS sensors in the B pillars
Leather interior
Door cards (describe them, plain, leatherette, wood inserts)
Dash panels with or without wood embellishments
In Car audio (HU605 or better)
Woofer speaker in the back
Hazard switch (regular failure)
Gear knob if woody
Roof rails
Retractable boot cover
Dog guard net
Brake calipers (especially rears)
Ally wheels
Front end (egg crate grille)
Rear end (both could be ideal if the right colour to someone)
Mirrors
ABS Module (they are bullet proof but dont take up much room)
What's left of the exhaust IF its in V. Good condition. (Trying to get a rear box for mine but most seem to be about £100)

When it's gone it's gone!

Don't expect scrappy to give you much on collection for whats left.
The Following User Says Thank You to bimmer49 For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2020, 17:31   #3
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Re: draining the fuel, unless it's a completely different setup to the Volvo engined 2l models (which being mitsi powered it might me) the easiest way is to pull the fuse for the fuel pump out and then remove the fuel line that goes to the engine, have a suitable container to hand.

Then remove the relay for the fuel Pump, once that's done either get a small loop of wire and put male spade connectors on it, or use a switch (I used a switch) and then place this in the 2 largest sockets in the fusebox where the relay was.

Canis explained to me how it's done a couple of years back

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287727
Old May 22nd, 2020, 14:50   #4
theboymike

Thanks guys - your help's much appreciated!

I'm going to bang it up for sale as-is and see if I can get any takers for spares / repair, failing that it looks like I'll have to start pulling it apart and send it off to the scrapper
theboymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 19:16   #5
srtames

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboymike View Post
So, thanks to cat theft it looks like I'll be writing off my V40

I have an offer from the local scrappy and I'm currently considering selling anything easily removable / of reasonable value from the vehicle before getting them to collect it.

Being a Gdi I know the throttle bodies are worth around £100-150 so that'll be coming off; while the car has a decent full-leather interior so I suspect this might be worth a few quid too if someone's willing to come and remove it.

Gallingly it's just had a new battery and tank of fuel; which I'll be looking to drain as much as possible before it goes (and would welcome any tips as to how to do this - I'm guessing the filler has anti-syphon measures).

The car still drives and is low-ish mileage (about 85k) but I don't have the facility to remove any large parts like the engine and box.

Is there anything else that might be worth removing before it goes for scrap?

Alternatively I'd be open to selling the car whole if there's likely to be any interest (please note this isn't a sales post, only a request for advice at this stage) but I need to make back as much on it as possible as I'm skint and need to fund a replacement. Would anyone care to guess what the car might be worth whole?

As always any thoughts much appreciated
may have a buyer for the rear lights in Reading

regards , steve
srtames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 19:18   #6
srtames

may have buyer for rear lights in reading

regards, steve
srtames is offline   Reply With Quote