Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

When did Volvos partnership with Ford end?

Views : 4825

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2020, 08:28   #1
Thekilt

Default When did Volvos partnership with Ford end?

I know many members on here slate the period where Volvo was partially owned by Ford as they shared many parts but I wondered when this ended. I have a V50 which is obviously within the Ford era, however I was changing the brake pads on my wife’s 2016 V40 And there were also many Ford parts on that which surprised me.
Old May 30th, 2020, 11:00   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
I know many members on here slate the period where Volvo was partially owned by Ford as they shared many parts but I wondered when this ended. I have a V50 which is obviously within the Ford era, however I was changing the brake pads on my wife’s 2016 V40 And there were also many Ford parts on that which surprised me.
The association with Ford didn’t end at the same time as Ford ownership ended.

All of Volvo’s ranges at that time, with the exception of the XC90, had some Ford content, including shared platforms.

The V70 and the XC70 shared the same platform as the Ford Mondeo, for instance. The S40 and V50 sit on the Ford Focus platform, the S60/V60 sit on the Mondeo platform, and the XC60 shares its DNA and platform with the Land Rover Freelander. The last two vehicles were designed jointly by Volvo and Land Rover while both brands were under Ford ownership.

Jaguar Land Rover was also owned by Ford during the same period and after it was bought by Tata it continued to source all of its engines from Ford. Only since JLR built its own engine factory has that arrangement started to be wound down.

Volvo, however, was able to reduce their use of Ford engines straight away by developing a 2.0 litre version of their 5-cylinder diesel engine, and this very quickly replaced the Ford PSA 2.0 litre diesel in the V70 and C70 ranges.

As far as I can tell, however, the 1.6 litre Ford diesel was retained for some installations until the new Volvo VEA diesel was available, at which point the 1.6 was replaced by a detuned 2.0 VEA engine (the D2).
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2020, 11:36   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Ford dumped volvo in 2010 after raping their technology ... Ford were obliged to supply components though until 2019 when the V40 range finished .
Old May 30th, 2020, 13:21   #4
Thekilt

That’s interesting to know. However why do so many people have beef with the S40/V50/C30/C70 being “the Ford era” when a lot of the other models as you suggested also share the same platforms as ford and JLR?
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2020, 14:07   #5
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
That’s interesting to know. However why do so many people have beef with the S40/V50/C30/C70 being “the Ford era” when a lot of the other models as you suggested also share the same platforms as ford and JLR?
I’ve got the V60 across Country that sharesThe platform with the Mondeo. My Mondy company motor was a cracking car, solid as a rock and my 60 is the same, also feels the same to drive too. Previously I had a V50 and despite all the naysayers it was a cracking motor. Yes, I had a few issues with it but it was an 8yo motor when I bought it and got ageing motor problems with it. I find this whole dislike for Ford era Volvo’s boooooooooring, idiotic snobbery.

TT
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2020, 14:20   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Volvo helped ford with the mondeo platform , it you look at one you will see the underside of the floor pan has a lot of Volvo traits in its construction and finishes . The Mk IV mondeo has parts which are more expensive than volvo ones , a set of rear lights is £1400 for example and just about any of the parts costs more than on a volvo . So the Jump in Quality that Ford got is being fully utilised by Ford ! A lot still goes wrong with MkIV Mondeos however . Ford/ PSA extensively modified the 2.0D engine after volvo finished using it , The fuel pump was driven by a chain and extra jockey wheel and it used a wet cambelt . Plastic sump etc etc
Old May 30th, 2020, 22:53   #7
The Thong
VOC Member

Put em side by side and the body lines are similar. I had a 2010 Titanium X Sport Estate, they seem very alike to look at.
I down shifted from a 2ltr gassed S60 to an E4 V50. It was a bit of a shock and a little bit of regret at first until I found how economical my V50 was on a run. I could achieve low 50’s on a mixed run. I achieved 56mpg once on a run to Glasgow, very happy with that. Another run I did to Scotland which was 2/3rd’s motorway and the rest was city and country lates over a 740 mile run bought me back 53mpg, you can fault that. I regret selling it now tbh.

TT
Old May 31st, 2020, 08:23   #8
blacklab

As much as I’d like to change from my 2005 V50 to another Volvo there doesn’t seem much point as the 50 ticks all the boxes for what I need it for. Yes, it’s had issues but what car/make doesn’t when it gets older.
I was talking to someone a while ago who had a V60 and regretted selling his V50 as he liked it so much. So I guess from the Ford debate it doesn’t matter to some, doesn’t bother me either. Look how many manufacturers are all linked to each other.
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blacklab For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2020, 09:48   #9
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
As much as I’d like to change from my 2005 V50 to another Volvo there doesn’t seem much point as the 50 ticks all the boxes for what I need it for. Yes, it’s had issues but what car/make doesn’t when it gets older.
I was talking to someone a while ago who had a V60 and regretted selling his V50 as he liked it so much. So I guess from the Ford debate it doesn’t matter to some, doesn’t bother me either. Look how many manufacturers are all linked to each other.
It has a Volvo badge on the front.... Nuff said

TT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2020, 22:10   #10
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Volvo helped ford with the mondeo platform , it you look at one you will see the underside of the floor pan has a lot of Volvo traits in its construction and finishes . The Mk IV mondeo has parts which are more expensive than volvo ones , a set of rear lights is £1400 for example and just about any of the parts costs more than on a volvo . So the Jump in Quality that Ford got is being fully utilised by Ford ! A lot still goes wrong with MkIV Mondeos however . Ford/ PSA extensively modified the 2.0D engine after volvo finished using it , The fuel pump was driven by a chain and extra jockey wheel and it used a wet cambelt . Plastic sump etc etc
To be fair these MK IV Ford Mondeos are pretty decent, solid cars a bit like a Volvo
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Auto Addict For This Useful Post: