Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The National Rally & BKV - does it really exist ?

Views : 27053

Replies : 269

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 19:48   #231
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey R View Post
I'm sure there will be the odd one or two complaints still but personally the idea of a trophy awarded by members rather than one judge could be even more appealing as there are so many more people that would have to agree to get the result. Plus if say 30 people all vote for the same car then there cant be arguments really. Gotta be worth a trial at maybe the southern or northern BKV next year.

Well, good idea but you may face the fact that many "non-entrants" will not judge other people's cars.

Usually there is 2 judges btw (I know, I did it in 2010).
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 20:21   #232
Sharkey R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Well, good idea but you may face the fact that many "non-entrants" will not judge other people's cars.

Usually there is 2 judges btw (I know, I did it in 2010).
That's very true. Bit of a tricky one to sort out really.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:31   #233
nigel335
Director/ Register Keeper

Default BKV core sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
I'm not sure how it would be implemented but I think it would be a good idea if people entering the BKV could get feedback. Principally to see what could be improved on their cars.

I think it would be too difficult to do it on the actual day but perhaps the score sheets could be scanned and then emailed to respective members if requested.

On a more personal note - can you please stop sticking the S/V/C70's right at the back of the field?
If anyone wishes a copy of their score sheet please e-mail Terry Roberts or send him postal request with SAE and he will respond. His details are on page 4 of Driver.

Nigel Ayling
nigel335 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nigel335 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 10:32   #234
nigel335
Director/ Register Keeper

Default re 700/900 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Hi all sorry if my comments seemed rather negative,I do tend to get a bit frustrated and should stop and think more before engaging my mouth.

Regarding the Register Keepers being present to welcome owners of each model we all know they can't all attend for all sorts of reasons.In the 700/900 section we have already started talking about meeting up together at a preset time so we don't all just walk around missing each other.So a start in the right direction.Even talk of having a saturday get together for those able to turn up.

I wrongly assumed that the 700 bit was being organised but only found out late on sunday after the judging results that the person expected to turn up hadn't.This isn't important in itself and not worth worrying about now ,Had I have known this then I would have offered my services.I would have enjoyed welcoming the 700 and 900 with a smile and for the 700 I would have given each owner the nice 30th anniversary card so kindly supplied by the voc.It may have been possible to keep them at opposite ends but still in one line.

It would have given me an oppertunity to photograph each car as it arrived.I happen to think this could be extended for every car arriving?
Imagine a nice backdrop with maybe a banner"National BKV 2012 Thoresby Hall" and decent camera set up near the show field entrance.So if you want a nice glossy picture of your pride and joy marking the day then join the que and pay a small fee and picture arrives a few days later?

Just a thought as trying to get good pictures of a nice car is awkward when they are all lined up.(that isn't a moan by the way)just an observation.

See I can be constructive.

Certain people know me well enough to know my intentions are all good.Maybe I should just be more assertive and push myself upon the club instead of sitting in the side lines Lol.

It certainly was an amazing turn out and I for one do realise the shear amount of work that went into getting it sorted.

Big Thank you Brian.
As co-organisor of the BKV I take responsibility for the fact that 700/900 lined up together in the same row. It was my intention as previously that although they would be judged together they could be lined up in separate rows. However in my defence on the Sunday Morning I was somewhat busy. One issue is that members often arrive very early some from 0730 onwards arrive and are directed to the line up area see the signs and park up. It really needs members who are able, to volunteer to help with marshalling. We also need people to volunteer to judge so if you wish to volunteer to assist at any event please e-mail me nigel.ayling@ntlworld.com Nigel Ayling
nigel335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:45   #235
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thank you for your reply.I think more than anything I regret not pushing myself forward to help out on the day.I was busy walking about trying to talk to as many people as possible.But I could so easily have joined in with giving directions.I also noticed how busy all the organisers were.So much so I kept out of certain peoples way.

I'm pretty sure you know me and that my intentions are to promote the club but my ramblings do come across as being negative for which I apologise.

I'm not the sort to want to be an organiser or in charge of anything but directing cars is simple enough.

And as for finding things for all people arriving to do I am busy thinking things through.Not an easy job as every activity has it's pro's and con's.You don't straight away consider the safety aspects when coming up with an idea or the possibility of friction caused by overuse.

I thought it would be good for the young children that get bored to have a games console setup in one of the marque's,Xbox or PS3 with a car racing game on.But then thought well the children would have to be looked after if the parent decided to clear off,Then imagine trying to get a child to leave it after being succesful on his first race.So one race and next child.
It would keep them occupied but needs fine tuning.

I have so many ideas but like I say each has it's own unique problems when you think about mass use and possible conflicts.

Many Thanks Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:39   #236
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
How much does an event like this cost to organise/run/set up?

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I don't know exactly, but I would expect you're looking at four figures, rather than five. A significant saving is made over a truly commercial event by the use of volunteer labour and the calling in of favours, etc.

cheers

James
The figure I was quoted on the weekend was circa £20000

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
So if a sponsor came forward to cover costs, would that lead to a better event do you think (utilising all the volunteers etc etc etc). Do you think that better advertising and awareness would assist?

How would PR etc etc make for a better event?

I know little about this event itself, although would consider visiting a future one, and reading all the posts in here,it seems normal and natural that an event such as this will always have its critics, and that all cannot be pleased all of the time, and from what I have read,this years seems to have been a success.

Regards
I think a sponsor could cloud the issue with their own interests, the club is able to manage the cost through membership subscriptions so for as long as it's practical should stay that way.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:43   #237
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Well the costs are already covered by the club, so that isn't really an issue. Additional PR would undoubtedly attract a bigger crowd, however the Volvo scene is nowhere near the VW scene in terms of scale, and I worry slightly that it couldn't support a 'high end' / large scale event...hence why there isn't one! Even when the Volvo and Saab crowds group together for a Swedish Day (was there one at Santa Pod a few years ago?), the turnout isn't huge.

I think word of mouth is more powerful in these situations. By gradually ironing out the bumps and adding additional attractions, I think we can improve the event and boost attendance. For example I would love, above all else, to see an "action" arena of some description. The problem is that suitable venues (which also give something for families to do, and provide adequate show space and camping facilities) which are within a budget which can be justified when taking the event in an unfamiliar and unproven direction are few and far between. The only one which springs to mind is Prescott, which hosted Retro Rides Gathering last year. That has a (very) large field, a sprint / hillclimb track, and I suspect isn't horribly expensive. My hunch is that it's a leap of faith worth taking, but the "action" crowd, myself included, have to be mindful that a field full of stone-cold cars polished to perfection genuinely is some (many?) people's idea of the perfect car show. At least we had some videos of Volvos being driven hard this time!

By the way, Brian, no problem at all with what you were saying. I was aiming at the "waste of time" camp. It's about as helpful as "the magazine is crap" brigade. If you haven't got anything anything constructive to say, all you'll do is upset and dishearten those who give up their time to at least try to improve things. There's no problem with pointing out where improvements can be made, but a non-specific declaration of disinterest is a waste of keyboard time (unless you're trolling, in which case I have a ban button handy ).

I think we've more or less done this to death...but, to summarise, feel free to point out what you liked, and what could be better (even if the latter is a long list) and I'm sure we'll listen with interest. If all you have to share is "I thought it was rubbish", feel free to keep that to yourself, as it helps no-one.

cheers

James
Why not develop the Saturday into an action day with drift, rally cross, hill climb, or auto test etc. or maybe even a treasure hunt finishing at a local pub for a drink pre hog roast? Then the Sunday can remain the static show and shine event.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:56   #238
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_C View Post
I've long banged on about "best kept" should mean just that, not just "shiniest". There was huge progress made this year by Simon Pearce having set out a judging criteria and I hope to put some of my comments forward to him on this, one of the 700's (I'm really sorry, but I've forgotten which) was immaculate inside and out but had worn hinge pins on the drivers door. I want there to be some kind of feedback (brief, I havn't time when judging 20+ cars in under 2 hours like this year, that's 6mins a car) to the owner that this is how I felt.
I must speak to Simon then as I have been asked by John Allam to help run the Northern BKV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy View Post
I will be going to this next year in my slightly modded 940
Why not come to the Northern at Wetherby race course end of July? I would love to have a good poke about your "slightly" modded 940.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey R View Post
Just an idea but why don't we experiment with having the judging modified slightly. Each class of car is judged in the usual way for Best Kept Volvo as in best condition, fluid levels correct etc as it is Best Kept with winner and runner up. Then have each class also voted for by all members attending. Each person on entry is given a voting form for each class of car so they pic their favourite and runner up. This would also encourage everyone to have a good look at everyone's cars. Would get more people interacting and having conversations with each other.

Each class would have:

BKV Class Winner
BKV Class runner up
Members Class Winner
Members Class Runner up.

BKV Show Winner
Member Show Winner

That way then the BKV judges will have strict guidelines to follow and then the members can have their decision too. Should help to ease some of the comments you hear about judging not being fair. Be interesting to see the differences in what the judges think to the rest of the members.

Just an idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_C View Post
We tried the above idea at the V3M national 18months ago, I thought it worked very well. No idea on the larger scale, but there is normally only one way of finding out!
Seems simple enough to produce an A4 sheet with all the classes and a space to write down the reg of your favourite for that category. It should be compulsory for each showing to vote and encouraged for the public to join in.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
The Following User Says Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 14:04   #239
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbrianmale View Post
The figure I was quoted on the weekend was circa £20000

I think a sponsor could cloud the issue with their own interests, the club is able to manage the cost through membership subscriptions so for as long as it's practical should stay that way.
Criikey thats quite a lot!

We have had Volvos for years, although until this forum had never heard of the BKV or any rally, so reckon awareness creation and greater promotion would be helpful, as there are probably loads of people with Volvos,not on this forum, that would attend such an event.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 14:36   #240
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

"We have had Volvos for years, although until this forum had never heard of the BKV or any rally, so reckon awareness creation and greater promotion would be helpful, as there are probably loads of people with Volvos,not on this forum, that would attend such an event."

Comment made slightly tongue in cheek but I suspect that you've always had new Volvos and changed them fairly frequently for another new one. Maybe that's why you never been aware that a club existed for "new" Volvo cars. The VOC caters for all Volvos from 1927 to now and beyond. I hope you will be joining the club soon? Your membership fee helps to fund all of the events and other club expenses. The fee isn't large. Being a member does give a little weight to opinions and suggestions made here on the forum as it will be "your" club that you are praising, or criticising..........................
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: