Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bought an XC90 with (don't laugh) no keys

Views : 4348

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2020, 17:33   #11
DaveL485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I'd be interested to know how the OP gets on with the AA as I don't think they can help. With Volvo the keys are programmed to the car and they need to be new virgin keys with the documentation (codes) that came with them, there isn't a means of "learning" keys like on some JRL models.

Also it's only possible to program keys with VIDA if the system is correctly subscribed and online to Volvo's central database.

I doubt very much that they have released that security/technology to third parties.

So whilst I'm not sufficiently confident to say no they can't - I would be surprised if they can (without triaging through a dealer).

Still worth a call though...
I will give it a go. worth a phone call isnt it (and if I didnt have to move the car to a dealer that would be nice). Will let you know.
DaveL485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 18:54   #12
BorderVolvo

Quote:
I'd be interested to know how the OP gets on with the AA as I don't think they can help. With Volvo the keys are programmed to the car and they need to be new virgin keys with the documentation (codes) that came with them, there isn't a means of "learning" keys like on some JRL models.

Also it's only possible to program keys with VIDA if the system is correctly subscribed and online to Volvo's central database.

I doubt very much that they have released that security/technology to third parties.

So whilst I'm not sufficiently confident to say no they can't - I would be surprised if they can (without triaging through a dealer).

Still worth a call though...
They will likely have to get some info from the dealer but as they are an accredited organisation the dealer is obliged to help....for a small fee obviously !!
I worked for The AA back when they introduced key assist and got shown the kit they had by one of the key techs....I was impressed.
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 19:11   #13
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post
Hi everyone - after taking my S60 D5 to the moon and back over the last 9 years my growing family (Me, her, 3 kids and we are super-tall) is forcing me to consider an upgrade. I very much like the D5 lump and the astounding reliability of my current Volvo so after a sniff around I decided to give an XC90 a try as it ticks all the boxes. Size/space, tow capability, leg room (i'm 6'6") and comfort.

As a keen home mechanic I have a (bad?) habit of buying things in need of a bit of love (you can see where this is going right )

So anyway, long story short I have bought an XC90 D5 Auto, 2009 in grey. It's got a flat tyre and no keys, at all. No fob, no emergency key, I have literally nothing key wise.

What are my options? I could just dump it at a local Volvo dealer when they re-open and take the hit on the cost, I am prepared to do this if need be but has anyone else found alternatives?

Gratuitous pic attached of my S60 'Frank the Tank' with some of the rest of the fleet, 246k and still going strong!
before you charge in to buying any thing for your car.check it has an intact cambelt and it has oil in the engine try contacting any previous owners they just might have the key good luck with your new purchase
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 20:38   #14
Bits

And check the tyres - I bought an 06 in Jan this year and had to replace all 4. It transformed the car.
Glad to hear you do your own work - same here. Luckily the u/s of my car is like new which, as you will know, is a big help when you come to undo things - so check underneath before you buy.

Last edited by Bits; Apr 16th, 2020 at 20:43.
Bits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bits For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2020, 12:11   #15
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:

I don't know how well this works, and in the video description only the later car years appear to be compatible. The XC90 does not appear in the list. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kzvAp0wc0
Old Apr 17th, 2020, 14:59   #16
Whyman
Premier Member

If you do get it done at the dealer don’t forget to have the previous keys disabled to prevent anyone coming along and taking the car away.
Old Apr 17th, 2020, 17:04   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
I don't know how well this works, and in the video description only the later car years appear to be compatible. The XC90 does not appear in the list. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kzvAp0wc0
Interesting... I might stand to be corrected...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 11:58   #18
SwissXC90
Premier Member

That video shows a classic brute force attack on the vehicle to crack the vehicle's security code. Once the code is known, keys can be programmed.

You know it's a brute force attack because they state it can take up to 4 hours to get the security code.

The XC90s also have a CEM protected by a security code (PIN). The PIN can also be cracked, but it can take up to 24 hours to crack it. During this time the laptop and the car must be turned on, thus external power is required.
Vdash has the ability to crack the PIN of the XC90.

What I do not know is if, once cracked, a new key can be programmed for the XC90....

the software package in that video costs 500 EUR, and you need an interface as well. So new keys at a dealer may be actually cheaper

And honestly, it is a lot simpler to ship the car to a dealer and get 2 x new keys added, and the previous keys removed. The dealer orders the keys from the factory and they come pre-cut to your vehicle's physical locks.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Apr 18th, 2020 at 12:17.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 12:30   #19
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
this video shows key programing at the dealers connected with volvo main computer cant be done at home with cloned vida dice
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 23:11   #20
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
this video shows key programing at the dealers connected with volvo main computer cant be done at home with cloned vida dice
The video linked to shows non volvo software being used to "hack" into the cars computers to gain the usernames/passwords needed to program keys. That's not Volvo's VIDA.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote