Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Charge" Button on Screen

Views : 680

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 10:41   #1
koolade

Default "Charge" Button on Screen

Morning Team

Potentially dumb Q here. The "Charge" button at the top of the screen on the right hand menu.

Does this use EXTRA petrol to charge the battery when enabled or not? If it doesnt use extra petrol, then why isn't this featured enabled in the background, as default (it seems silly to NOT charge the battery when using it in petrol / ICE mode). Driving along the motorway, I've also noticed it charges the battery WAY faster than plugging it in to a normal socket at home (waiting for a proper charger to be fitted)

I'm assuming it does use extra fuel, but wanted to check

Thanks all!

Last edited by koolade; Nov 11th, 2019 at 12:34.
koolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 11:18   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolade View Post
Morning Team

Potentially dumb Q here. The "Charge" button at the top of the screen on the right hand menu.

Does this use EXTRA petrol to charge the battery when enabled or not? If it doesnt use extra battery, then why isn't this featured enabled in the background, as default (it seems silly to NOT charge the battery when using it in petrol / ICE mode). Driving along the motorway, I've also noticed it charges the battery WAY faster than plugging it in to a normal socket at home (waiting for a proper charger to be fitted)

I'm assuming it does use extra fuel, but wanted to check

Thanks all!
yes you cant get energy for nothing so the cost is in fuel ...
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 11:43   #3
Milliner

Never used it myself, but would be interesting to know how much extra petrol is used to charge the battery on a long motorway trip and how that compares to the cost of electricity at home. The B mode and brake regeneration chip in too presumably which is 'free', kind of, depending on how you look at it.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 11:51   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
Never used it myself, but would be interesting to know how much extra petrol is used to charge the battery on a long motorway trip and how that compares to the cost of electricity at home. The B mode and brake regeneration chip in too presumably which is 'free', kind of, depending on how you look at it.
The charge function could be useful if you had a no diesel zone which is what will be happening in Bristol City Centre . They have not sorted out the finer details yet but they may let hybrids in if they are running on electricity only ...
You could use CHARGE about 10 miles from the city to get you home on electricity . it does charge pretty fast on this charge function . even better if your journey was down a 5 mile hill before home !
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 16:55   #5
koolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes you cant get energy for nothing so the cost is in fuel ...
...Hmm, I'm no scientist but I would argue the motion of the wheels going round would be energy to harness to re-charge the battery! (whether that motion is driven from battery or petrol, it seems ripe to be leveraged)

Anyhow, I'd love to learn more about this feature. The manual is pretty light here I think...
koolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 17:21   #6
Milliner

Harvesting otherwise 'wasted' energy lost through the braking or engine braking won't cost more fuel, but drawing power from the petrol motor to charge the battery will.

First law of thermodynamics and all that.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 17:26   #7
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolade View Post
...Hmm, I'm no scientist but I would argue the motion of the wheels going round would be energy to harness to re-charge the battery! (whether that motion is driven from battery or petrol, it seems ripe to be leveraged)

Anyhow, I'd love to learn more about this feature. The manual is pretty light here I think...
Well, the wheels going round use energy unless you can eliminate, for instance, gravity, drag and friction. It takes a certain amount of fuel to drive the car. It takes extra fuel to regenerate battery energy unless the aforementioned forces can be overcome.
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimNiceBut For This Useful Post: