Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Ipod connection?

Views : 1229

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:12   #1
cjboddy
cjboddy

Default Which Ipod connection?

Hi All,

I've just bought a 2006 model with the 6 cd changer unit but no aux. I want to be able to link my ipod/iphone for playing music. I checked with the dealer and it was going to cost me approx £350 for the volvo kit.

I have come across the Denon 100 unit about £130 that I think will fit. Does anyone know what other options there are, where I could get one from and how much?

I did a search on the forums here but didn't seem to find much.

Cheers,

Craig
2006 XC90 D5 AWD SE Manual
cjboddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 18:34   #2
chf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjboddy View Post
Hi All,

I've just bought a 2006 model with the 6 cd changer unit but no aux. I want to be able to link my ipod/iphone for playing music. I checked with the dealer and it was going to cost me approx £350 for the volvo kit.

I have come across the Denon 100 unit about £130 that I think will fit. Does anyone know what other options there are, where I could get one from and how much?

Cheers,

Craig
I believe that what you need is the Dension gateway 500 which retails about the price quoted by Volvo.
chf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 19:30   #3
JimmyB

be careful to ensure that the kit you choose is compatible with your ipod. Whilst all will play the ipod, not all will charge it - a slight problem if on a long journey and the battery runs out.

I have a volvo kit, installed pre the new generation ipod. I bought a new ipod only to find it does not charge. This is not a volvo issue but a general ipod one as my new ipod does not charge in my bose sounddock from 5 years ago.

Luckily I had an old ipod to leave in the car...so be careful...
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 19:51   #4
owenfackrell
Premier Member

We have a denson 500 and would highly recomend it. It is updateable and works with my iPhone. Also you can chose either a play list or by track or by album or even by artist. It also gives you control from the steering wheel. Not only can you cone t an iPod but it also has a USB connection as well as a phone connection. Yes it's not cheap but well worth it plus you can always take it with you.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 16:29   #5
cjboddy
cjboddy

Seems to be quite a difference in price between the gateway 100 & 500 though. Best part of £180. Can anyone recommend a car audio place I can get in touch with?

Cheers.
cjboddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 17:01   #6
berkshire

Suggest you give the nearest branch of sextons.co.uk a call. I found them to be reliable, knowledgeable and professional and much cheaper than Halfords.
berkshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 16:20   #7
Gurj

Did a Dension Gateway 500 + BTA1500 (Bluetooth Adapter) install in my 2005 XC90 yesterday.

Took me a few hours mostly due to difficulty getting the centre console back in after attaching the GW 500 under the CD changer. Had to tuck it in at the back of the opening instead.

Sound quality is excellent! :-) (tested with Ipod Nano, USB, AUX and BT Audio sources).

User Interface is very difficult to use, but I'm hopping I'll learn to use it blind, since the CD and Track number scrolling text is slow. Also took me a while to realise I needed to hold down the NEXT track button to make things happen.

Bluetooth:

My Nokia N95 8GB is able to play high quality audio over A2DP profile - very nice feature.
However call handling (Hands Free Profile) quality is not so good. Microphone and Speaker volumes need adjustment - Support ticket opened with Dension.
Also the calls must be made/answered using the N95, since Dension do not support call handling on the XC90 using the cars buttons (yet?).
I haven't tried another phone yet.

Compared the FM modulator I was using there is no comparison in quality.

Solution is pricey but the way I see it it is also re-sellable on ebay for not much less than I paid for it - when I sell the car.

... just need to sort out hands-free call sound quality now.

Gurj
Gurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 16:29   #8
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post

User Interface is very difficult to use, but I'm hopping I'll learn to use it blind, since the CD and Track number scrolling text is slow. Also took me a while to realise I needed to hold down the NEXT track button to make things happen.
Gurj
You will get used to it though I only tend to use track one as it the playlist option and then use the next track button on the steering wheel to pick the one I want.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 13:04   #9
King jaffi juffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjboddy View Post
Hi All,

Cheers,

Craig
I'd get a USA-SPEC IPOD INTERFACE for you type of stereo.. about £75.00 on ebay..
King jaffi juffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 22:22   #10
BroadstairsMatt

Where abouts would I find the ipod adaptor you have mentioned I couldn't find it on e bay? Matt
BroadstairsMatt is offline   Reply With Quote