Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Red Diesel

Views : 5898

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 15:37   #1
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

Default Red Diesel

Firstly,I own a petrol car so I've no intention of running on red,but my question is..........................will it knacker your engine?The reason is it is still a lot cheaper and I know of a least one bloke who runs his Transit on it,but will it really break your engine or is it a myth to stop you using it? Where I live petrol is £1.29 a litre and diesel,a scandalous £1-41 a litre!! I did run my old Citroen diesel on kerosene a few years ago,until it was impounded by the customs and excise and apart from being a bit smellier it ran fine ( about 3 years ) .I wouldn't do this now,older and wiser, etc,etc.
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 15:49   #2
Michael J
Master Member

It not only knackers your engine, it also makes your teeth fall out and gives you bunions.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 15:51   #3
dew1911
I've Been Banned

AFAIK, it does no damage (it is literally just normal diesel with a dye), but if C&E catch you, the damage they inflict is 10x worse!
dew1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 15:57   #4
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew1911 View Post
AFAIK, it does no damage (it is literally just normal diesel with a dye), but if C&E catch you, the damage they inflict is 10x worse!

SPOT ON THAT MAN^^^^ .. you should see the Trucks that get pulled over on their way to the Irish Ferrys here in Fleetwood ..... the amount of times I've seen a "Tractor" unit being hauled onto a Low Loader & the driver sitting in the back of a Plod Volvo with a SICK look on his mush ...

Seriously there is AT LEAST two a week here!!!!

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 16:01   #5
dew1911
I've Been Banned

Thought as much, and they do the same at Heysham quite regular (take it your up this way Claw???), Even the plod up here carry equipment to check in all patrol cars, my works vans been done 2/3 times now.

Last edited by dew1911; Dec 1st, 2011 at 16:02. Reason: learn to spell I must!
dew1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 16:08   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew1911 View Post
Totally Correct and if Customs and Excise catch you they WILL confiscate your vehicle and the fines are well, let's just say " Not Nice"

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 16:10   #7
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Exclamation as keith says but beware of laundered diesel

its just diesel for use off roads it has dye in it .only danger in the stuff is when its laundered ie the dye taken out this is a big money making business, then it has a lower lubricating factor and literally destroys pumps and injectors,you can buy this without even knowing from some dodgy filling stations.ps the green diesel is just the same as red.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david philips For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 18:23   #8
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Take it from me, it doesnt harm your engine at all, I can vouch for that

If you get caught, they will either fine you 500 quid or if you cant pay, confiscate your motor (first time offence) as I understand if you get caught a 2nd time or 3rd the penalty increases, but to answer your question, its just normal diesel with dye in it, if it was dangerous to engines, do you think farmers would be putting it in their brand new VERY expensive tractors that cost 5x what their car did?

Na, it dont hurt your car engine, I would NEVER put it in my recovery truck for fear of losing it, plus trucks, vans etc are far more likely to get stopped than your average family motor
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 18:29   #9
Daim
Brit in Germany

Edited as mistaken for something else

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)

Last edited by Daim; Dec 1st, 2011 at 18:33.
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 18:38   #10
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Not sure about it over here, I knew a bloke who worked in petro chemical delivery etc and apparently the red dye was added to ULSD at the end of the delivery from the refinery, ie when he went delivering it would all be white but the dye was added to various batches at the retailer to show it wasnt taxed, I dont know about heating oil, whether there are different grades of this but near me, the red diesel is sold as heating oil out the pump and I know loads of farmers round here that use it in their brand new "Ultra modern" diesel tractors, combine harvesters etc