Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc60-mass airflow meter problem

Views : 5906

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2015, 10:20   #1
geoff brown

Default Xc60-mass airflow meter problem

Hi,

I have a 2010 XC60 D5 which has covered 99,000 miles so far problem free. . I had an amber warning light "Engine System Service required" recently, and the car after about 20 miles/20 minutes the car went into "Limp Mode". A visit to the Local Volvo dealer highlighted a Mass Airflow meter fault. They did a smoke test to check for air leaks etc. As the new Volvo part is £275.00 +VAT I sourced a part from a 2012 D5. Unfortunately the fault has not been rectified. Volvo are saying that the used part may be throwing up the code, as it's been receiving messages from a different engine and these parts are notoriously sensitive. The dilemma is whether I should buy another new Mass airflow meter, or whether there could be a related problem. Also considered DPF , as had problems with my last XC90, but Volvo are adamant that they have a "hard" code for the Mass Airflow meter fault. Apparently there is only one type of Mass Airflow meter fitted to D5 Volvo's, and believe they are manufactured by Bosch. I could buy a Bosch part for nearer £200. Any help much appreciated!
geoff brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:38   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

What is the part number printed on the meter/sensor?
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:03   #3
geoff brown

Hi, Thanks for your reply. It is 31361223.
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:27   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

I can't see why a MAF from another vehicle wouldn't work and I can't help feeling you're being fed some untruths from the garage.
Unless things have changed radically and put very simply, a MAF receives a voltage from the computer and returns variable voltages which the computer interprets as airflow data. There's nothing coded about it.
You're right to only be considering Bosch and used Bosch MAFs can be picked up relatively cheaply like here for example http://www.volvobreakers.co.uk/volvo...irmass-meters/
I bought a professionally reconditioned one for £30 so new isn't your only reliable option.
You must establish that your MAF is actually duff though and the fact that a second MAF hasn't worked for you suggests to me that your fault is elsewhere.
A cheap ELM327 diagnostic dongle plus an Android app will give you all the MAF data you need.
The exact wording and code of the fault found by the dealer would be great if you can get it.
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:46   #5
geoff brown

I think like you that the Mass Airflow filter isn't the problem. If it isn't the MAF, are there any other components that might be linked? I've had a local garage try to look at codes, but no luck. Think I need to get the local Volvo dealer to dig deeper into the problem and cough up another 100! Many thanks for your help and will let you know how I get on.
Old May 11th, 2015, 12:16   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff brown View Post
I think like you that the Mass Airflow filter isn't the problem. If it isn't the MAF, are there any other components that might be linked?
It depends on the nature of the specific fault.
As you're taking it back to a garage, I'm sure they can narrow it down.
Old May 12th, 2015, 00:01   #7
Backhill1
Master Member

I bought a Bosch MAF once diagnosed by Volvo as from memory it was over £100 cheaper and it worked no problem. As Cherished has already said its just a measuring devise and has no facility for communication so I think this is a bit of a red herring.

One thing when mine was faulty was you needed to drive for I think 30 miles for it to re-calibrate and re-set itself before the yellow triangle went out.

I remember after I fitted mine thinking what a **** you've saved nothing then the light went out and never returned.

Not sure how far you've travelled but might be worth a run, oh and also many people suggest cleaning with brake cleaner / contact cleaner as the material is extremely sensitive to dirt and oil. Might be worth a try on the new one?
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 20:01   #8
Rooster
Speed freak

Check wiring where it runs down side of airbox into main loom, had a couple of xc60's with broken wiring for maf where it joins main loom
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 12:14   #9
geoff brown

Default Mass airflow meter/Inlet Manifold 2010 XC60

Update regarding Mass airflow filter: Still been having problems with car going into "Limp Mode" The Volvo garage have now said the car needs a new inlet manifold. I've read previous posts about problems wit the swirl valves- any ideas, or is it bite the bullet and fit new inlet manifold for £538.00?

Thanks all for your help to date,

Geoff
Old May 19th, 2015, 12:39   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff brown View Post
Update regarding Mass airflow filter: Still been having problems with car going into "Limp Mode" The Volvo garage have now said the car needs a new inlet manifold. I've read previous posts about problems wit the swirl valves- any ideas, or is it bite the bullet and fit new inlet manifold for £538.00?

Thanks all for your help to date,

Geoff
I suggest you try a different volvo dealer ! you should have left the car with them , let them sort it whichever way they do and paid just for whatever is faulty , it isnt going to be TWO things faulty for sure ... they would need to give it a 30 + mile road test afterwards ...

why does it need a new inlet manifold ? What's wrong with it?
Swirl throttle not working properly will give air mass fault codes , is the swirl working ?