Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1989 740 - Poor Acceleration

Views : 3526

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:16   #1
andyatvoc
Andy

Default 1989 740 - Poor Acceleration

UK spec 1989 740 GL Estate. 2.0ltr, K-jet manual fuel injection, Automatic. Pre Lambda Sond model with std (not catalytic) exhaust so no AMM. 123,000 miles and always regularly serviced by Volvo.

The car was never particularly good on accelleration, it used to do 0-60mph in about 12.5 seconds. The car has done only about 15k miles in the last 4 years and as my Son now has as his daily driver this is the first I have driven for the last 2 1/2 years.

The car feels very sluggish on acceleration but cruises along fine once the speed is up. 0 - 60 mph acceleration now a dismal 17 1/2 seconds (previously 12 1/2) so something is up.

Accelerate away from stop using the throttle gently (i.e. normal traffic speed acceleration) and the car appears fine. Put your boot on the gas pedel and the car hardly seems to acceletate any quicker. Engine revs ok (once it gets up there).

The engine had the cylinder head gasket replaced at 119k miles by Volvo which cures the water coolant loss but this according to Son did not make any difference to acceleration pre/post gasket change.

Car starts fine, ticks over fine and generally goes well enough. Aparently the car has lacked acceleration for quite some time now. Brakes do not appear to be binding - at least the disks do not seem to run hot when you put your hand by them after a run. Hand brake is not sticking on. The air filter is due for a change, has done 10k miles but it's not that mucky. No Lambda Sond or cat on this car (just before they were fitted in the UK. Fuel consumption has not changed and still does about 23 mpg around town and 25/6mpg (English) out of town which it has always done. Has always run on basic unleaded fuel, makes no difference putting in higher octaine petrol. Oil consumption is negligible.

When accelerating it feels as if either the engine is not getting enough fuel (the fuel filter was replaced at 100k) or it is being choked by not enough air going through the air filter. Removing the air filter does not appear to make a difference.

Could we be a sluggish fuel pump. I seem to recall that the older 740's had 2 fuel pumps, could it be one of these failing that is now starving the engine of petrol. How can I check?

Could the timing somehow have gone up the khyber somehow?

The Knock Sensor?

I really am open for ideas. I am struggling and totally stumped at the moment.

Many thanks

Andy
andyatvoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:26   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Default RE: 1989 740 - Poor Acceleration

really a case it needs to go on a Crypton to see what it is doing. A number of items slightly out can make a big difference. Certainly sounds as if it is running lean but you need to know what is going on. Find someone who knows what they're doing and you should see a marked improvement.
Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 17:33   #3
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

G'day, chaps.

Just a wild thought here, but could it be a gearbox related problem? Many years ago I had to ferry a 240 auto from South Wales (Empress in Newport) up west to Cwrtnewydd for Martin Whiteland, our (no longer living round here) local Volvo man. All the way the car was sluggish as f**k (technical term) which I put down to age and the gutless 2l lump; however after Martin drove it he informed me that the auto-box was stuck in top. I neither know nor care if he was bullsh*tting me, it seemed perfectly plausible to me. When stationary the engine would rev freely and smoothly but put it in drive and suddenly you were towing a supertanker blunt end first.

Good luck with the prob, Nick H.
Citizen.Agfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 07:34   #4
andyatvoc
Andy

Hi Nick

Definately not stuck in top or starts off in 2nd etc. Starts in first and changes gear fine, 1st through to o/d. If the gas pedel is floored gear changes occur at (when it eventually gets there):
1 to 2 4400rpm
2 to 3 5500rpm
3 to o/d when you ease back off the accelerator.

The kick down seems to be fine as well, as it has always been.

The AT Fluid has never been changed, Volvo service for some reason does not cover and they do not seem to recommend changing the ATF. However it is a light reddish brown colour as opposed to bright crimson red of new but does NOT smell burnt.

Andy

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 07:40   #5
andyatvoc
Andy

Correction.

The ATF WAS changed on 28 June 1996 at 74,000 miles - just checked the service records. It was an extra that I requested.

Existing ATF has been in then for 9 years but done only 50,000 miles.

Andy
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 08:25   #6
andyatvoc
Andy

Re the ATF. Volvo at the garage have ALWAYS told me that for both my 740 (and my V70 for that matter) that Volvo do not recommend having to change the ATF. I supplied and had them change at 74k miles on the 740. The Owners Manwell says 2 years/24k miles.

So what has been going on at Volvo?

How often should the ATF be changed in the real world on a 740/AW71 auto trannie ??

Andy
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 21:12   #7
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Wotcher, Andy, Nick again.

Peter is really the boy for this one, he runs the 7 series register. However, that two years/24000 miles advice seems to ring a bell- certainly all the guys I've dealt with over 27+ years of motoring agree that ATF should be crystal clear, so on that basis I think we all know what you next task is going to be. Whether or not you do the job yourself do make sure that not just the gearbox pan is drained, but also the torque converter and trans. cooler as well, by loosening the return pipe from the rad to the gearbox and using short bursts of tickover to pump out the old fluid, whilst maintaining the level in the box, of course!

A good place for info is on the pages run by the Cousins, http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/FAQSummary1.shtml

If I come across further info I'll let you know soon as poss.

All the best, Nick.
Citizen.Agfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 08:56   #8
andyatvoc
Andy

AND THE ANSWER IS:

It seems that when the cylinder head gasket was changed by Ovlov the timing belt was replaced one tooth adrift. I spoke with the mechanic who was the same guy who did the cylinder head gasket change.

The service manager at least said it was that the timing belt had 'slipped' one tooth but did/could not give an explanation as to how it could have happened. At least they did not charge.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 08:57   #9
andyatvoc
Andy

Default RE: 1989 740 - Poor Acceleration - SOLUTION

AND THE ANSWER IS:

It seems that when the cylinder head gasket was changed by Ovlov the timing belt was replaced one tooth adrift. I spoke with the mechanic who was the same guy who did the cylinder head gasket change.

The service manager at least said it was that the timing belt had 'slipped' one tooth but did/could not give an explanation as to how it could have happened. At least they did not charge.

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 10:32   #10
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: 1989 740 - Poor Acceleration - SOLUTION

Only way timing belt can be one tooth out is incorrect installation.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote