Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Danish embassy 940

Views : 24727

Replies : 247

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2022, 16:18   #121
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Just a quick pic of the new gates for those who are interested (and no I'm not a chippie - but I can navigate YouTube ).

They're a double palisade (hit n miss) style, made of reclaimed 6' tall vertical slats with new 4x2 treated frames and diagonal braces. Its roughly a 2/3 - 1/3 split (6'3 wide main gate and a 3'3" wide personnel gate).

Frame joints are glued and screwed lap joints. The diagonal braces are glued and have pocketed screws into the middle horizontal runner. The slats are secured by nailgun fired brads - that was great fun

Nip down to Toolstation and pick up Barrettine cut end wood preserver, it's not cheap but you'll never need to do anything to them again, £20 a tin iirc,it will also give it a slight green tinge when it dries.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 09:46   #122
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Spent a few hours on the 940 yesterday as a prior engagement was cancelled at the last minute

So I drained the old coolant, replaced the reservoir, (and fitted the level guard which will be wired up later), replaced the thermostat, and all the radiator hoses. The last one to be replaced was the top hose - which gave me a bit of a sinking feeling

Yes, it looks like I need a new radiator. The PO obviously knew about it, and had repositioned the hose clips over the crack to stop the leak So I'll need to redo all that work when I replace the radiator - I'll get a Nissens one rather than Volvo as I think they're a better part. At least its not as involved as on the 850 radiator - where the engine oil, transmission fluid and coolant all pass through a single radiator, so every system has to be disconnected!

I then went on to do the oil change. Now usually thats a straight forward job, but a pattern is developing here... the filter was on obscenely tightly. Utter madness! I'd put the car on ramps, so had some room, but not much, and of course the position of the filter doesn't help much. Anyway, I eventually released it, but ended up pulling a very strange muscle indeed!

Now I was really straining - REALLY straining, but I've still never pulled this muscle before. I bet Roger Moore would never have this problem as his eyebrows are well honed. Yes, I pulled a muscle in my eyebrow!!! I actually felt it ping as something snapped lol. At least it wasn't a hernia

So, with a sore forehead and an oil filter in hand, I had a break for a cuppa. The filter replacement (a Mann filter) went well fortunately - I hadn't broken anything in the oil filter housing.

I'm refilling with Valvoline Max Life 10W40 this time - its something I used in my S70 T5. It has lots of gentle cleaning agents, plus seal conditioners to help rejuvenate the engine oil seals to stop/prevent oil leaks. As the 940 hasn't been used much over the last 10 years I want to give the engine internals a good clean over the next 4k miles (ie until the next oil change).

I was getting quite wet by this point so I called it a day. But at least one eye was getting some rain protection - my eyebrow had started to swell up
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 10:03   #123
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I'm sorry but that made me laugh!

Do you look permanently inquisitive or like Rocky Balboa?

I would buy a pair of oil filter pliers from Halfords, one of the best tools I've ever bought.

I hope the rest of the oil change goes well Mr Moore.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 10:36   #124
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm refilling with Valvoline Max Life 10W40 this time -

I was getting quite wet by this point so I called it a day. But at least one eye was getting some rain protection - my eyebrow had started to swell up
Is Valvoline oil available again? I used to use it years ago, very good oil then it disappeared.

Hope your eyebrow hernia subsides quickly..................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 21:24   #125
Forrest
VOC Member

Replacing the radiator on a 940 should be a simple job. I did one recently in about an hour. If you have just replaced the coolant then drain it first into a clean container via the drain on the end of the radiator. That way you will be able to reuse it. If it is an automatic, you will lose hardly any transmission fluid.

I’ve used Nissens radiators for replacements recently. They are about half the price of Volvo ones and the last Volvo one I used only lasted ten years.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 21:25   #126
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

No, fortunately it went down overnight Its just a bit sore today. Still can't believe that of all the muscles that I could possibly pull, it was an eyebrow!!! That must have been one heck of an expression

I was actually using a filter removal tool - the pliers type with the claw grips/teeth. I've just never come across a filter that was so stuck solid, its as if they'd used thread lock on it! Absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Is Valvoline oil available again? I used to use it years ago, very good oil then it disappeared.
I didn't know that it had disappeared tbh - I've tended to use Fuchs, Mobil One or Valvoline over the past 20-30 years. My Discovery V8 was run on Valvoline, as was my S70 T5, but my previous 940s were treated to Fuchs or Mobil One depending upon which I found at a decent price, but I think they're all top notch oils.

Opie Oils have always stocked Valvoline AFAIK? I got my Max Life from there - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-87258-v...ngine-oil.aspx
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 21:32   #127
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Replacing the radiator on a 940 should be a simple job. I did one recently in about an hour. If you have just replaced the coolant then drain it first into a clean container via the drain on the end of the radiator. That way you will be able to reuse it. If it is an automatic, you will lose hardly any transmission fluid.

I’ve used Nissens radiators for replacements recently. They are about half the price of Volvo ones and the last Volvo one I used only lasted ten years.
Thanks Forrest, its been quite a few years since I've replaced a 940 radiator. I don't think I've ever done one that quickly mind you! I'm expecting it to take at least a morning - I always come across a few stubborn bolts with rounded or crusty heads...!

I'm a big fan of Nissens - I've used their radiators in 2x Discovery V8s, a Discovery Td5, the S70 T5, and my last 850R... as well as the heater matrix in my current 850R. They've always fitted perfectly and have been excellent quality. Comparatively cheap too, as you say, which is always nice
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 22:06   #128
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
No, fortunately it went down overnight Its just a bit sore today. Still can't believe that of all the muscles that I could possibly pull, it was an eyebrow!!! That must have been one heck of an expression

I was actually using a filter removal tool - the pliers type with the claw grips/teeth. I've just never come across a filter that was so stuck solid, its as if they'd used thread lock on it! Absolutely ridiculous.

I didn't know that it had disappeared tbh - I've tended to use Fuchs, Mobil One or Valvoline over the past 20-30 years. My Discovery V8 was run on Valvoline, as was my S70 T5, but my previous 940s were treated to Fuchs or Mobil One depending upon which I found at a decent price, but I think they're all top notch oils.

Opie Oils have always stocked Valvoline AFAIK? I got my Max Life from there - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-87258-v...ngine-oil.aspx
Glad to hear you no longer look and feel lopsided!

I use a Boa Constrictor for most oil filters, i also have a three-legged Mac Tools one that grips tighter the more it needs to - not come across a filter that doesn't yield to one or other of those.

Last time i used Valvoline it was BP Valvoline in the late 80s then BP stopped doing oils and Valvoline disappeared.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 00:39   #129
Forrest
VOC Member

Quote:
I always come across a few stubborn bolts with rounded or crusty heads...!
It’s primarily hose clips and small self-tapping screws. A bit of suitable easing oil beforehand will help. If the plastic air-guide below the radiator is still in place the screws which go into the bottom plate of the radiator are likely to be corroded. You might want to get some 4.8mm x 32mm stainless steel self-tapping screws with a torx head to replace these. Easy to find on eBay.

The transmission lines should come undone quite easily and, being a flared joint, will not need any sealant when you reconnect them. However, if you do encounter any resistance use a suitable backing spanner on the larger nut on the radiator and make sure both spanners are a good fit to avoid damage to the fittings. I have at the back of my mind an imperial spanner is a better fit on at least one of these nuts but I cannot remember the details.

Good luck!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 01:13   #130
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
The transmission lines should come undone quite easily and, being a flared joint, will not need any sealant when you reconnect them. However, if you do encounter any resistance use a suitable backing spanner on the larger nut on the radiator and make sure both spanners are a good fit to avoid damage to the fittings. I have at the back of my mind an imperial spanner is a better fit on at least one of these nuts but I cannot remember the details.

Good luck!
I believe you're correct on the line union nuts and backing nuts on the ATF cooler on the rad, 1/2" AF and 3/4"AF come to mind for those respectively. However i may be thinking of a different car but fairly sure that's correct.

I simply sliced through the ATF cooler lines with a pipe cutter as i was installing a separate ATF cooler in front of the rad and behind the AC condenser and a manual heavy duty 940 rad into my 760 as 760 rads semed to be NLA when i had to do mine.
Found everything was easy from above, unbolt the slam panel (4 bolts with 10mm heads), lift it up, undo the top and bottom hoses then remove them and lift the rad up and out.

Maybe i was lucky with that method but including mounting the new ATF cooler and removing the original auxiliary cooler, modifying the ATF cooler line pipework and replacing the rad including filling etc took just over an hour taking it easy.

A like-for-like replacement should be quicker and easier though!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: