Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faulty ETM despite Sacer kit

Views : 547

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2021, 21:50   #1
Drumeo

Default Faulty ETM despite Sacer kit

Hi everyone

I've been trying to fix an issue with the original white label ETM on my 2000 P80 V70 with a B5244S2 engine (manual).

After reading codes ECM-91A7 - faulty control and ECM-91F0 - faulty current, I ordered and fitted a Sacer kit in the hope it would fix the issues.

I deemed the install a success as I tested the voltage outputs as per another forum with a multi-meter from the new sensor and it was all within the correct limits. The unit also fires up and does the usual whine, then powers down after a few seconds with the ignition on position 2. It drives fine except for some other issues to do with the CVVT (had a code ECM-640A so have ordered a new pattern part one in the hope it will resolve that issue).

However, I still have the ETS light on with ECM-91F0 - faulty current showing on the VIDA read out. Is this the motor drive on its way out or could there be other related or unrelated issues I should look at? I've tried to find similar situations out there but had no luck and it's a total minefield with information.

I'm hoping to go to Lakes Autos at the weekend to see if they have a newer working yellow label ETM that I could swap over with the Sacer sensor too. I understand that if get an ETM for an N/A 2.4 engine like mine I should be golden?

Also would be great to have any other recommendations for parts to look for whilst I'm at the breakers...

Thanks in advance
Drumeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 21:54   #2
Drumeo

Oh and I'll add in this car has done 220,000 miles on what I believe to be the original ETM, which is unheard of?! I bought the car this April and it's only just coming up with these faults...annoyingly
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 23:11   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you swap in another ECM you will need to get it recalibrated at Volvo. When you fit the Sacar to your own unit no calibration is needed. If you fit this Sacar to another ECM it will still need to be recalibrated. I had the ETS light and fitted the Sacar unit and it was fine after sorting out some non related problems with vacuum pipes. The ETS light went out after fist start with the Sacar. Mine is also a 2000 V70.
I'm guessing that the codes you read don't actually relate to the ECM as far as it being faulty goes. Do you or did you have the ETS light?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 23:39   #4
Drumeo

Hi Derek UK

Thanks for the reply, yes the ETS light has been on continually. After I installed the Sacer sensor I only get the 'faulty current' code now but the actual unit seems to be functioning ok and the car drives alright. But there's obviously an underlying issue somewhere surely?

I've also read across multiple forums that re-programming isn't necessary as long as you get a unit from the same engine and gearbox setup. Someone said that the apparent need for re-programming only came about because the units people were swapping in were faulty to begin with. So it was thought they weren't compatible when actually they were but they weren't working for other reasons. I'm not saying you're wrong but was wondering why a few others have said you don't need reprogramming...for example here:

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=58043

What do others reckon?

Cheers
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 11:55   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

As far as I can see the Matthews site relates to P2 cars and they already have the electronic ECM so compatibility may be less of an issue.
The P2 forum here has a seperate sticky for ECM and there is quite a bit of extra info there. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132443

As part of my process I did clean the throttle body (surprisingly clean) and gave the MAF a good clean, both with the correct fluids. Don't know if it helped though. Both should be done to eliminate them from the possible faults.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 13:25   #6
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumeo View Post
Oh and I'll add in this car has done 220,000 miles on what I believe to be the original ETM, which is unheard of?! I bought the car this April and it's only just coming up with these faults...annoyingly
You're not alone here, 246,000 miles on original white sticker ETM. So I am expecting problems at some stage.
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 16:26   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Be aware, there's many issues that give codes indicating the ETM. I've had ETM codes whn I know for fact it isn't ETM. Careful out there.

Tags
ecm-91a7, etm throttle, fault, v70