Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 LPG conversion in Scotland ?

Views : 1935

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2010, 14:42   #1
Jules_V70R

Default V70 LPG conversion in Scotland ?

Has anyone had a V70 done in Scotland ?

Does anyone know of a garage that does conversions inexpensively ?

I've found a garage in Wales offering a convert for £1100 inc VAT, but it's a long drive

Cheers

Jules
Jules_V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 16:51   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If that is the south wales outfit "done in a day" then you will be done !!

I see a lot of there conversions to put right and so do lot of installers I deal with but at least they give you the software and programming lead so you can improve the mapping beyond what they can do. Noconversion should be done in a day regardless of how many fitters are working on it.

The stag system they fit will not be capable of delivering enough fuel for a V70R under hard load and will either run lean or switch back to petrol.

Do some research on them don't just take my word for it.

Regards

Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 17:05   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Default LPG conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_V70R View Post
Has anyone had a V70 done in Scotland ?

Does anyone know of a garage that does conversions inexpensively ?

I've found a garage in Wales offering a convert for £1100 inc VAT, but it's a long drive

Cheers

Jules
Well it's almost Scotland! Autogas 2000 in Thirsk, North Yorks, did my conversion (a 1997 v70 auto) 6 years and 160,000 miles ago. I've been absolutely delighted with the work, the service has always been excellent and I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

As Dai says, it's a 3-day job, so rather than rush it, why not take the car to Thirsk, get the train home then 3 days later take the train back to Thirsk!

They'll probably be a little bit more than £1100 to be honest, but you'll know it's been done 100% right!

One tip, before you get the work done get the car serviced and fit new plugs and leads, and (if the car is pre-ETM) a new dissy cap and rotor!

Telephone Chris or John on 01845 523213.

Other than being a very happy customer I have no connection with Autogas 2000.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 20:46   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

When changing the plugs make sure you fit copper core ones. If you have an early car with the leads rather than coil packs fit volvo leads only after market ones will not do.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 22:07   #5
jason77
Monkey

there's a garage in scotlandwell - fife that does LPG conversions

father-in-law has had 3 cars done there, last one was a couple of years ago.
jason77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 22:10   #6
JIM C
Forum Support Team

One of my friends does gas conversions in Arbroath. He has recently done an S80 which was a very neat conversion.

http://www.angusautogas.co.uk/

Jim
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:54   #7
Jules_V70R

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've had a quote from Dai (ClassicSwede) that's far too good an option to pass up.

So I will be arranging a little break in Anglesey in the near future
Jules_V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 20:16   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Good move that man!
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:54   #9
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_V70R View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've had a quote from Dai (ClassicSwede) that's far too good an option to pass up.

So I will be arranging a little break in Anglesey in the near future
Dai does a brill job . and can give a good B&B near them [ used it twice ]
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 08:39   #10
ambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
If that is the south wales outfit "done in a day" then you will be done !!

I see a lot of there conversions to put right and so do lot of installers I deal with but at least they give you the software and programming lead so you can improve the mapping beyond what they can do. Noconversion should be done in a day regardless of how many fitters are working on it.

The stag system they fit will not be capable of delivering enough fuel for a V70R under hard load and will either run lean or switch back to petrol.

Do some research on them don't just take my word for it.

Regards

Dai
Ive used profess on a couple of cars including BMW X5 and a S60 2.4T. and I have to disagree with the the comments above. What you find is that the conversion is done in a day. With most people travelling a fair distance, hanging around for the car, then coming back to pick it up later. Then travelling all the way home with the car. Every car is different and may require a little more set up on the management side to get the LPG running how the owner wants. My X5 ran geat on LPG but went back up for a little tweak a few days later and ran fine forever after, same was the case with the S60. Both cars gave massive improvements on LPG and at around £1200 for the cost of the conversion, no wonder people are prepared to travel a long way for a profess conversion when others are clearly overcharging and offering conversions between £2000 and £3000! Fortunately he's just up the road from me, all I will say is that any LPG conversion will most likely need to go back for a further set up. Ive used other LPG installers and paid for new conversions with other companies and guess what ,.. they all went back for a further management adjustment after the initial installation. Just bring the car down a make a trip of it. You could drop the car off day 1, pick it up & use it day 2, and ensure that everything is as it should be before you head for home. I can guarantee that its got nothing to do with the quality of the systems he fits, as mine ran like clockwork afterwards. As a matter of fact I had more issues with another company who were charging a lot more on a previous car I owed. And spent a whole lot more on the cost of the initial conversion.
ambit is offline   Reply With Quote