Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 602611

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 08:31   #2001
Miyo360

+1 here.

Had the warning light pop up last week. It's booked in to the main dealer for Monday.

It was registered Jan 2015 and had done 107,000 by the time I had bought it in May 2018. It had just had it's 6th Volvo service a month earlier. Mileage today is at 114,000.

Here are pics of the fault codes read by a friendly mechanic https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnU8OU7NvpdMg12FZIvaAuoGtLo3

Here are pics of the engine bay showing, what I believe, is the fixed pipe work
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnU8OU7NvpdMg14iXmd6MDVlVVqD
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnU8OU7NvpdMg1xGL5In7yMsCCsc

As advised, I have read the last few pages of this mammoth thread. And encouraged that some have got this fixed at Volvo's expense.

I'm hopeful the latest software upgrade might fix the O2 sensor issue. But what about the EGR? Should I expect this to be fixed FOC? Or does it depend on when the last EGR 'fix' was done? and the mileage covered since?

Many thanks in advance.
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 10:21   #2002
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I'm unable to open these linked pictures, not sure why but it might have been better if you'd used the tool to embedded them in your post in the usual way.

Regarding the oxygen sensor problem, I did suffer a repetitive warning light on this issue for several months (I deleted the stored P014c diagnostic trouble code each time) but the problem cured itself before the dealer service. I discussed this with the technician who suggested that an active DPF regeneration probably burnt off the soot build-up. In any case, he informed me that the batch software updates, installed during the service, would cause the ECU to become more tolerant of a slow response from this sensor in the future.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 11:38   #2003
Miyo360

Hopefully these work

codes:

https://imgur.com/a/IFNpkiP

pipes:

https://imgur.com/a/Qo4COWZ

https://imgur.com/a/s5i9p02

Thanks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 14:23   #2004
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I'm now in the office, rather than using my phone, and can now open the linked photos. But can't you embed them into your post using the 'insert link' button?

The hoses look to me as though the necessary work has already been done, but others who are more experiences may spot some subtle clue to the contrary.

I think you need to discuss the EGR fault code with a Volvo garage and hopefully you'll get a generous goodwill contribution, despite the high mileage. It's a well-established problem.

For interest, does the engine engine suffer from a high engine oil consumption?
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 17:24   #2005
Miyo360

Re attachments. I tried but it only gave me the IMG tags to insert a link between. Perhaps I was using the wrong button?

Re oil usage. I have seen the “top up 0.5l oil” message 3 times since owning it - 10 months, approx 7000 miles. Mostly urban, with once-fortnightly long motorway trips of 100+ miles

Does that oil usage sound high? And how is the oil usage related to EGR?

Many thanks. I’m learning lots.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 17:33   #2006
smudgers

so got the car back today and this is what has been done.

egr cooler and valve
Volvo paid 100% of the cooler
I paid 50% towards egr valve £266.40
also had an ecm diesel upgrade, not sure what that is ?
am I happy about paying 50% towards it, not really but the fact they picked up most of the cost stands for something I guess especially with it being out side of the warranty.
how Volvo haven't done a recall is beyond me, I mean I heard Bmw have just done recall on it and they never admit to anything normally

Last edited by smudgers; Feb 22nd, 2019 at 17:36.
smudgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 17:57   #2007
Miyo360

@smudgers, sounds like I’m in the same boat with the fault codes. I would be happy with the result you got so here’s me keeping my fingers crossed.

Do you have any paperwork or anything saying what Volvo covered on that repair, that you’d be willing to share? It might be helpful to have with me as leverage if they play hard ball.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 18:29   #2008
smudgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
@smudgers, sounds like I’m in the same boat with the fault codes. I would be happy with the result you got so here’s me keeping my fingers crossed.

Do you have any paperwork or anything saying what Volvo covered on that repair, that you’d be willing to share? It might be helpful to have with me as leverage if they play hard ball.
yeah no worries at all. do you have a smart phone ?
pm me your number and I'll send you picture
unless there's an easier way ?
smudgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 18:30   #2009
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
Re attachments. I tried but it only gave me the IMG tags to insert a link between. Perhaps I was using the wrong button?

Re oil usage. I have seen the “top up 0.5l oil” message 3 times since owning it - 10 months, approx 7000 miles. Mostly urban, with once-fortnightly long motorway trips of 100+ miles

Does that oil usage sound high? And how is the oil usage related to EGR?

Many thanks. I’m learning lots.
I'm not sure there is a link between EGR problems and oil consumption, other than some have mentioned having both problems. I'm not sure what an 'acceptable' oil consumption figure might be, sorry.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 19:59   #2010
Miyo360

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgers View Post
yeah no worries at all. do you have a smart phone ?
pm me your number and I'll send you picture
unless there's an easier way ?
Thanks! However, I just tried but got the message
Quote:
Sorry, you can only send messages to the Administrators group until you have 30 posts.
If you DM me, perhaps I can reply to that??