Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre Wear

Views : 4002

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 21:14   #11
familymangreg
Premier Member

We are on 20s and air. First set of tyres were replaced by the dealer to provide conti silent sat 7k, the tyres had a lot of tread left but were replaced due to my complaints of excessive road noise. We are now at 23k and the set of conti silents they installed will need changing soon, probably another 1-2k left in them. So that’s 16k + from a set of conti silents, driven on 70ish % A and B roads, not so much motorway miles.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 23:31   #12
Phil117

Speaking of tyres, does anyone run 275/40 R21's which are used on the Inscription Pro 21" Wheels.

I was recently looking online and the only manufacture of this tyre is Pierelli from what I can see. From previous use, Pierelli is the last tyre company I'd usually choose as great and sticky in the heat, but otherwise wear is poor and grip is so so (especially on a motorbike). Would far prefer a Michelin or Bridestone.
Phil117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 09:24   #13
Haldex
Premier Member

You can get a Conti Crosscontact Sport or Conti Premium Contact in this size but also Dunlop SP Sport. I'd personally take any of these over Pirelli..

Back on topic- these are heavy cars but one should be able to get AT LEAST 30-40K kms out of a set of tires. I just removed my winter Michelins - done about 7K kms on them- and the wear is barely noticeable..

Driving winters in 20+C temperatures will wear them fast, as will parking/driving on oil/diesel soiled surfaces..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 19:41   #14
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil117 View Post
Speaking of tyres, does anyone run 275/40 R21's which are used on the Inscription Pro 21" Wheels.

I was recently looking online and the only manufacture of this tyre is Pierelli from what I can see. From previous use, Pierelli is the last tyre company I'd usually choose as great and sticky in the heat, but otherwise wear is poor and grip is so so (especially on a motorbike). Would far prefer a Michelin or Bridestone.
My XC90 was originally fitted with Conti 20’’, which I removed at 12000 miles. Not much tread left but would probably reach 15k or maybe 16k at a push. This is heavy tyre wear but better than the 10k miles that premium tyres lasted on the Audi Q7. Cheap tyres lasted better but were very much more skittish and horrendously noisy past half worn. Maxxis MorrauderII were the best of the cheapies. I went through a lot of tyres in 70,000 miles.

In contrast the Range Rover managed 35k per set. My current Honda, 40k per set of Michelins.

Assuming that the standard tyres have a particularly soft grippy compound, it’s quite possible that alternative brands might last longer, possibly at the expense of grip. I think that the Volvo requires XL rated tyres, which limits choice somewhat.

10,000 miles is not normal for this Volvo though. Check that there is no binding, scuffing or hopping when turning on junctions or sharp bends. If there is, there could be an issue with the Haldex unit or sensors.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 06:58   #15
MOzS90

How do you drive?? How fast do you take bends and roundabouts? Are you heavy footed and accelerate hard frequently? Do you drive on high grip surfaces a lot on your commute? What about climbs and descents? If Volvo say the car is fine get second opinion, try a different brand of tyre (with a longevity compound) and also consider your driving style if necessary. You’ll be surprised the difference that can make to tyre wear.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 17:53   #16
pagan8c
Master Member

I have done 5500 miles on my XC90 Momentum D5 (standard 19" wheels and suspension)and when last checked a couple of weeks ago still had 7mm tread on all the tires. They are Pirelli Verde so can't really complain about wear. I suppose I am not a race driver type but like to do around 70 on motorways/dual carriagways so not driving miss daisy style. They are fine on the road for grip etc and no braking problems.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 18:35   #17
Sceptre123

I swapped my Conti 20" for Pirelli All season at 15k miles. There was 3.5mm left on the Conti, but I had a bad puncture in one tyre. The Conti were either quiet or noisy depending on the road condition.

I swapped to the Pirelli, the Volvo dealer gave me funny look when I made my choice (they now stock them!). I've now used them for 3.5K miles and they have 7mm left. They are louder than the Conti on quiet roads but much quieter on noisy roads. Overall much better in my opinion. The dealer priced matched the tyre to tyre leader.co.uk which made this a value tyre choice. I'm hoping for 20K from this set of tyres.
Sceptre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sceptre123 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 12:49   #18
Goodshot

On the topic of tyres and wear, what tyres should I expect on my just ordered XC60 Inspiration Pro T8 with 20" wheels? Never had a car without a spare wheel and understand the reasons I can't have one in a T8 - does the gunk they give work? Presumably ok for small punctures/holes but a call out for any significant holes/rips?
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 14:34   #19
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodshot View Post
On the topic of tyres and wear, what tyres should I expect on my just ordered XC60 Inspiration Pro T8 with 20" wheels? Never had a car without a spare wheel and understand the reasons I can't have one in a T8 - does the gunk they give work? Presumably ok for small punctures/holes but a call out for any significant holes/rips?
You will probably get the Contisilent tyres.
You got it right with the sealant. You will have the On-Call facility to get someone to rescue you should it be necessary. Personally I would not bother changing to a spare wheel these days anyhow, even if I had one, when the OnCall thing is there to be used.

Must say that if I had a puncture and it was discovered at home and it was in the tread area, I'd repair it myself using a plug, like the Americans do. Have done this many times on different cars and never had an issue with it. The worse that can happen is that it loses air again, but I've never had that issue.
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 09:51   #20
uro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodshot View Post
After having a lot of bad experience with road noise on Contis I insisted to get an other brand on my new XC90. The dealer told me that he has no influence on which brand new cars will be delivered with. But he agreed to swap them to an other brand on his own if the new car had Contis. I am driving Michelin now.