Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc90 gearbox issue fixed !

Views : 2430

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 11:04   #1
Thewebster

Default xc90 gearbox issue fixed !

Hopefully this is a helpful fix post to anyone else having the issue of a gearbox that sounds like a bag of spanner sand bad selection (if any)...

Before you spend large sums, check the injectors...Specifically no5 (on a D5)

A week ago I changed the swirl flaps which requires the removal of pretty much everything around the rocker cover, inc the injectors.

Everything was running smoothly afterwards(best its run in a while) and then, just after joining the A1, at a steady speed, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and the car lost power and I only had 3rd gear, limped home (18 miles took nearly 2 hours..)

All the journey home I only had 3rd and the car shook when setting off (which I tried to avoid as best as I could).

All indications were a broken gearbox as I only had reverse and when put into drive, it jumped straight to 3rd gear.

I plugged in VIDA this morning and it showed TCM faults but it also showed communication problem to No5 cylinder. The engine didn't seem like it was mis-firing though.

I opened up, checked No5 and sure enough, the connector was about .5mm out of the injector, just off the retaining lug ...

I unclipped it fully and pushed it back on, cleared the faults on VIDA and re-started the engine.. All faults cleared and could select any gear and drove without any fault !

If any members have any idea why a loose connection on an injector can cause such severe gearbox issues I'd be really happy to know.

I mean, if I had severe tooth-ache and it went because I clipped a toenail.. you'd want to know why, right ?

Hopefully this will help anyone else... Sweating on the A1, in limp mode, stuck in gear, with 3 dogs, the missus and your eldest, on the way to Scotland...

Cheers Gents
Thewebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 13:39   #2
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I too would love to know! Thank you for sharing as can easily happen to anyone of us who is brave enough to tackle their own maintenance and this type of event could put me off for life and end my marriage!
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 15:27   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Be good to use contact cleaner on the injector connectors, keep them clean

I fixed random misfire errors on cylinder number 4 by cleaning the connector contacts
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 21:14   #4
spokoluzik
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewebster View Post
Hopefully this is a helpful fix post to anyone else having the issue of a gearbox that sounds like a bag of spanner sand bad selection (if any)...

A week ago I changed the swirl flaps which requires the removal of pretty much everything around the rocker cover, inc the injectors.

Everything was running smoothly afterwards(best its run in a while) and then, just after joining the A1, at a steady speed, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and the car lost power and I only had 3rd gear, limped home (18 miles took nearly 2 hours..)

All the journey home I only had 3rd and the car shook when setting off (which I tried to avoid as best as I could).

All indications were a broken gearbox as I only had reverse and when put into drive, it jumped straight to 3rd gear.

I plugged in VIDA this morning and it showed TCM faults but it also showed communication problem to No5 cylinder. The engine didn't seem like it was mis-firing though.

I opened up, checked No5 and sure enough, the connector was about .5mm out of the injector, just off the retaining lug ...

I unclipped it fully and pushed it back on, cleared the faults on VIDA and re-started the engine.. All faults cleared and could select any gear and drove without any fault !

If any members have any idea why a loose connection on an injector can cause such severe gearbox issues I'd be really happy to know.

I mean, if I had severe tooth-ache and it went because I clipped a toenail.. you'd want to know why, right ?

Hopefully this will help anyone else... Sweating on the A1, in limp mode, stuck in gear, with 3 dogs, the missus and your eldest, on the way to Scotland...

Cheers Gents
Your injector plug(incl pins) has to be replaced. Pretty common on 2007-on...
I assume had faults related to wrong torque output etc. anti skid, engine and gearbox service on dash.

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 23:12   #5
cchidzey

Howdy gents, I had something not dissimilar when my DEM unit on the diff gave up. Basically, there was some water ingress into the DEM unit that caused it to throw a wobbly.
The actual DEM unit didn't do it's job, but the haldex coupling wasn't locked, it just didn't work, so only front wheel drive.

But....... at the same time I started getting all sorts of completely random faults thrown up, ABS failure, Brake Failure, Transmission Failure, Engine Service Due, Steering Fault all came up on the dashboard. Car went into limp mode. Changing gear was awful, pulling away the gear engaged with a harsh crash and jumped forwards with a bang.
Got off the A90 in Dundee and checked everything out (at this point I didn't know anything about the DEM fault). Engine wouldn't re-start, Immobiliser fault came up on the dash.

Got recovered home (200 miles + AA = about 3 days )
Blasted through it with the VIDA, cleared everything out, all modules back in the green.
Started up, DEM module went into fault straight away, but the car drove ok. Short test drive all the faults started coming back, this time I unplugged the DEM module at the side of the road, cleared the faults again, DEM straight into fault, everything else stayed fine for a 40+ mile test drive.

So the DEM was at fault.
The other, non-related faults? Because of the way the DEM module communicates on the CANBUS network, with its failure it was putting a lot of noise / spurious signals onto the network, this was confusing all the other modules, ultimately leading to the other modules not working properly.

A long way of saying, the other faults you experienced were caused by the dodgy injector connection causing noise on the high-speed CANBUS network

Last edited by cchidzey; Apr 25th, 2018 at 23:16.
cchidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 20:51   #6
thugusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewebster View Post

Cheers Gents
Hi. I have a similar problem on my xc90. How do I access the injector. Where about is it? Thanks
thugusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 06:54   #7
thugusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugusher View Post
Hi. I have a similar problem on my xc90. How do I access the injector. Where about is it? Thanks
hi any update with this
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 09:19   #8
gmonag
Premier Member

I do not wish to sound harsh, but if you ask a question like that you should not be trying to DIY. If you have an issue take the the car to a competent mechanic who can perform a proper diagnosis. Then you can decide what to do.
It is the ONLY way to fix issues like these. Guessing and swapping parts on spec usually does not work and gets expensive quickly.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 15:46   #9
thugusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
I do not wish to sound harsh, but if you ask a question like that you should not be trying to DIY. If you have an issue take the the car to a competent mechanic who can perform a proper diagnosis. Then you can decide what to do.
It is the ONLY way to fix issues like these. Guessing and swapping parts on spec usually does not work and gets expensive quickly.
You have not actually answered the question i asked or found out the reason why i asked the question. Good thing the question was not directed at you in the first place.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 16:43   #10
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Maybe not but it's a forum and we contribute.

As it happens I agree with gmonag.

But, go on, I'll bite, "why did you ask the question?"

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd d5, gearbox, injector, xc90