Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Used XC90 Buying advice and preventative maintenance

Views : 1465

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 15:02   #1
Rich118

Default Used XC90 Buying advice and preventative maintenance

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at buying my first Volvo. The car I am looking at is a 1 owner full Volvo service history 2005 (55) 2.4D that has done 150K miles. The road tax is £315 so i think it a EURO 3 car without DPF?
The car is an auto Would this be the 5 or 6 speed box?
Being a Volvo service history car would the water pump have been replaced with the cambelt?

Another question I have is whats the best way to test the AWD system, I'm not sure the finding some grass etc to spin the wheels on will be an option.

If i do decide to purchase the car what are some of the things i should look at renewing that may not have been done under normal servicing bushes etc.

Thanks for your help
Rich
Rich118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 15:15   #2
Rich118

I forgot to mention the car I am interested in is 163BHP i think i would be looking at having this remapped in the future. my understanding is the engines are the same with slight alterations to compression ratio etc.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 15:59   #3
davidsmith1307

A 55 plate 2.4D could be a Euro4 engine limited to 163bhp.

The E4 engine was offered as 185hp (D5) or 163hp (2.4D) so buyers could chose between power and tax band.

The 2.4D can be mapped back to 185hp (and above) as long as you tell your insurance company.

The E4 also has swirl flaps - not just compression ratio differences. It tends not to drop its core plugs though.

Genuine Volvo water pumps are a quality item and tend to be replaced only if needed, so it is probably original.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 15:59   #4
john langrick
Master Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280560

Have a look at this thread,

Same questio n asked last week. It covers awd. The gearbox in this model is (I understand) five speed.

Hope this helps. Cheers
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 20:31   #5
Rich118

Thanks for that John I did search but didn't find that post. Sounds like you've done a fair bit of work on yours. I will try the laying under the car method for the AWD if I can't take it off road to spin the wheels.
You mentioned the sunroof drains blocking. the car I'm interested in has a sunroof so I'll get searching.
That's interesting about the engines I thought all euro4 were all higher tax. I havent seen posts about the swirl flaps mentioned so I'm guessing they are reliable compared to the time bombs on my BMW?
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich118 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 20:40   #6
4x4
Premier Member

D5 swirl flaps don't lunch the engine when they fail, the arm drops off rendering the flaps useless and it can cause the EML to come on, but not always. If you lie under the car and twist the prop shaft it shouldn't turn, if it does then the AWD has failed. 2008 onwards the VED prices dropped down again due to lower emissions 2006-2007 were the high prices
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 21:29   #7
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
D5 swirl flaps don't lunch the engine when they fail, the arm drops off rendering the flaps useless and it can cause the EML to come on, but not always. If you lie under the car and twist the prop shaft it shouldn't turn, if it does then the AWD has failed. 2008 onwards the VED prices dropped down again due to lower emissions 2006-2007 were the high prices
Unless you get a Manual D5 185, which is £315, not £500+, as the auto is.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 09:24   #8
john langrick
Master Member

Hi again Rich, I guess my point is that the car will definitely need work, parts will certainly be wearing out and if OK when you purchase may well be about to fail. These cars are expensive to run, so keep back money in reserve. My first task when I purchased mine was to take it to my local independent volvo garage, luckily there is an excellent one local to me. I used him for my earlier volvo v70s (I have had three, two from new).

He diagnosed new wishbones, new exhaust and new front disks., which were done at first full service immediately. Car had 150k on clock, cambelt changed at 90k so replaced that anyway at next service.

Since then had rest of pads changed, reluctor rings and sensor, rear break shoes and of course the transfer box and spline gear, plus a/c condenser. Also replaced alarm module. The nearside wing mirror cradle had broken but got a complete replacement from ebay and sold the case to another member.

I did not mind paying £2500 for the car but have spent at least that in the last year. This could have been less if I had made the repairs myself, but a tad old for that and my garage is full of sailing dinghy in amy case!

As I said in other thread, if the bodywork and internal are acceptable to you and the options on the car are to your requirement, then go for it.

Essentials for me were a simplistic ODB scanner (autel maxidiag in my case), which can reset SRS, transmission, engine management codes etc), and a good independent volvo garage (with Vida dice). Plus of course advice from this forum!

I hope this all helps and good luck
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 22:42   #9
Rich118

Hi thanks again for this knowledge, It will really help when purchasing a car.
I'm glad to hear that when the swirl flaps fail it does not write-off the engine and can be repaired.
It may sound a stupid question but is there anything that can be done to prolong the life of the AWD system if it is in good working order or is it a "luck of the draw" to when it will fail?
Thanks for the expiation of the tax I didn't realize that the tax dropped again.
Thanks again John I will try and get the best example I can but like you say parts of that age will always be wearing out. Its been very useful to hear what issues you have had. I'm lucky in the respect that I have ramps a pit and a good selection of tools at home. That said I do want to start to use a good independent garage my problem is I like knowing exactly how the job has gone and the reassurance of knowing exactly what I have done.
I have a fairly simple old ODB reader so it might be time to replace this.
This is going to be our family car so even though I may not like the running cost its a price I'll happily play if it keeps my family safe.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 07:40   #10
john langrick
Master Member

Just to say re awd, that a new spline drive will be uprated. My understanding is that the earlier xc90 had a weaker unit that was prone to fail. The suggestion by this forum is to try and keep tyre tread depth the same and change wheels in pairs (on same axle ). in an ideal world I guess this puts less strain on the drive train, but that being said it is designed to cope to an extent with irregularities in wheel rotation.

Again, good luck with your purchase.