Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leasing using broker vs dealer

Views : 2453

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2018, 12:20   #1
sammyblackbaron

Default Leasing using broker vs dealer

Is there any disadvantage in using a broker to get a good PCH deal versus going through a dealer? Specifically, I'm worried that if I use a broker, they'll "get me" for excess wear and tear at the end of the deal!

The honest truth is that I'm not quite sure how it all works - if I use a broker, is the car still delivered & collected by a Volvo dealer or is it somebody from the broker's company that does this and therefore _may_ look for squeezing a bit more cash from me at the end of the deal?

Thanks for any personal experiences shared!
sammyblackbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 16:31   #2
redpizza

I was going to go via a broker for my new V90 R Design but could never get them to call back or even match their online quotes.

In the end a friend recommended a Volvo dealer near Manchester (Rybrook in Warrington) who gave me the best price. Volvo excess mileage is also incredibly cheap (7.5p per mile up to 5K over) which meant it worked out cheaper to ask for a lower mileage quote and pay for the excess at the end of the lease. No deposit or additional charges at all from the dealer and he delivered for free (200 mile trip).

I was under the impression a broker be cheaper, but if you get a price online and ask the Volvo dealer to match it you might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Also check carwow.com - they have a leasing section.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpizza For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 16:51   #3
Waggatron

I've leased both my XC60's (current and one currently on order) through Volvo dealers. Did my homework...and yes, I could have got it slightly cheaper per month through an online broker, but the deals through Volvo where competitive and you have the comfort of dealing direct with the people ordering your car (and I personally like that). There is also no upfront costs or deposits through the Volvo scheme and excess mileage tends to be cheaper too....
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 17:11   #4
Belmont84

If you use a broker you will pay a broker fee if you use a dealer you normally don’t. Brokers tend to be cheaper but some dealers are matching broker prices.

I used Clive Brook Volvo for my V90 and they were the same price as a broker but with no fees.
Belmont84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont84 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 19:54   #5
volvocamper
Master Member

I am on my 5th PCH leased car and my 2nd Volvo (1st one was 2009-2103 and latest Volvo Mar 18 on 4 year PCH). Used broker originally as they were way cheaper back in 2009 than main dealer. My experience is the brokers just put you in touch with the main dealer (and the broker receives an introduction fee from the dealer). For the last 3 cars I have looked on the contracthireandleasing.com website to find the model/spec/prices and then taken these to local dealers who have matched them without problem and have made it worth my while with mats/flaps etc at no additional cost. Also found it better with the main dealer direct as you can ring them directly with any updates/queries etc and tbh I would even pay slightly more for this ‘security’. As has been said excess mileage rates seem more favourable with main dealers too plus have never had to pay them any additional fees. All deals done via brokers or dealers have used the BVRLA fair wear and tear guidelines (these can be viewed on line) to assess condition and any charges on return. I have found the BVRLA assessments to be quite fair. Whether you use dealer or broker the car will almost certainly be collected by a 3rd party usually for an auction house such as BCA and wont go back to the dealer even if they organised the deal and serviced car etc - the PCH will be via someone like Lex or Santander with branded paperwork if via a dealer.
It is in my experience a good way to drive a car you want without having to stump up cash as you do when you are buying plus you know how long you will have it for and, condition excepting, no haggles come replacement time.
Whether via a dealer or direct I have paid nothing to the finance provider before car is delivered - usually abt 3-4 weeks after delivery you will pay the agreed ‘up front’ payment and then the monthly cost after that for the term.
Do consider Gap insurance though (not expensive) so that if the car is written off any shortfall is paid by the Gap insurers so you do not have monthly payments but no car if remaining payments are greater than the ‘normal’ insurance payment to the lease provider.
On my most recent pch deals there is also a ‘cooling off period’ even after car is delivered (to my spec), most been between 2 and 4 weeks. I made use of this when I ordered an incorrect spec in 2013 - I was amazed this was possible, but it was.
Do consider this method to get you into your next car, I have found this a cheaper route over the term than PCP but more costly to get out of than a PCP mid-term if situations change or you get fed up it’s the car.....so choose it carefully in the beginning!
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvocamper For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 19:59   #6
BigKahuna

I found the dealer prices weren’t that much different to the likes of Nationwide or Select but the terms were better. Excess mileage charges much less, also check the penalties if you have to relinquish the lease mid term for any unforeseen reason. Some finance companies expect you to pay up to 100% of the remaining lease payments. Volvo is 50% I believe. Also a bit more room for negotiating options etc with the dealer in my opinion.

It’s worth going through Carwow and enquire about PCH when the best offers come through.

Condition at the end of lease will be the same whoever you go through. My Mercedes went back last week and was inspected by BCA. They all use the similar parameters and guidelines and you will be charged for anything over and above those.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 20:39   #7
anotherv60
Master Member

Stoneacre chesterfield had a fantastic deal when I went down the PCH route for the V90. I wanted it to be through a Volvo Dealer as I thought it would offer more protection if anything went wrong. My friend told me that chesterfield bulk order and that is how they get such good PCH deals. They have just ordered 200 XC40s, so should be some deals appearing closer to the delivery date of those vehicles!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 00:12   #8
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
I am on my 5th PCH leased car and my 2nd Volvo (1st one was 2009-2103 and latest Volvo Mar 18 on 4 year PCH). Used broker originally as they were way cheaper back in 2009 than main dealer. My experience is the brokers just put you in touch with the main dealer (and the broker receives an introduction fee from the dealer). For the last 3 cars I have looked on the contracthireandleasing.com website to find the model/spec/prices and then taken these to local dealers who have matched them without problem and have made it worth my while with mats/flaps etc at no additional cost. Also found it better with the main dealer direct as you can ring them directly with any updates/queries etc and tbh I would even pay slightly more for this ‘security’. As has been said excess mileage rates seem more favourable with main dealers too plus have never had to pay them any additional fees. All deals done via brokers or dealers have used the BVRLA fair wear and tear guidelines (these can be viewed on line) to assess condition and any charges on return. I have found the BVRLA assessments to be quite fair. Whether you use dealer or broker the car will almost certainly be collected by a 3rd party usually for an auction house such as BCA and wont go back to the dealer even if they organised the deal and serviced car etc - the PCH will be via someone like Lex or Santander with branded paperwork if via a dealer.
It is in my experience a good way to drive a car you want without having to stump up cash as you do when you are buying plus you know how long you will have it for and, condition excepting, no haggles come replacement time.
Whether via a dealer or direct I have paid nothing to the finance provider before car is delivered - usually abt 3-4 weeks after delivery you will pay the agreed ‘up front’ payment and then the monthly cost after that for the term.
Do consider Gap insurance though (not expensive) so that if the car is written off any shortfall is paid by the Gap insurers so you do not have monthly payments but no car if remaining payments are greater than the ‘normal’ insurance payment to the lease provider.
On my most recent pch deals there is also a ‘cooling off period’ even after car is delivered (to my spec), most been between 2 and 4 weeks. I made use of this when I ordered an incorrect spec in 2013 - I was amazed this was possible, but it was.
Do consider this method to get you into your next car, I have found this a cheaper route over the term than PCP but more costly to get out of than a PCP mid-term if situations change or you get fed up it’s the car.....so choose it carefully in the beginning!
how do you find the way they check the vehicle at the end of the lease. Are they very picky and charge for any little marks etc. I am considering this route when I change my XC90,which at the moment is on a PCP, but I am a bit worried it will cost me loads at the end. I do look after my cars and don't do a lot of mileage but I don't know how they look at things.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 01:08   #9
encroute

I have ordered an XC60 (leased) through a Broker.

I used 4 different Volvo dealers, but could not get close to Nationwide Vehicle contracts price. Based on a 4 year deal - total cost was £1300 - £1900 cheaper over 4 years than the dealerships.
Mileage is cheaper w/Volvo - by a few pence.
If I was getting an in stock item, there may have been more flexibility - but it's a factory order. Not due till July unfortunately. :-(

2019 T5 Momentum, Xenium, Intellisafe Pro, Smartphone Integration, Keyless Drive & Spare wheel.
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 06:10   #10
BigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan8c View Post
how do you find the way they check the vehicle at the end of the lease. Are they very picky and charge for any little marks etc. I am considering this route when I change my XC90,which at the moment is on a PCP, but I am a bit worried it will cost me loads at the end. I do look after my cars and don't do a lot of mileage but I don't know how they look at things.
The inspection guidelines are exactly the same wether PCP or PCH. There are allowances ie dents up to 25mm allowed but no more than 1 per panel, no cuts or tears in internal trim, bumper scuffs up to 50mm, no damage to alloys bigger than 25mm etc etc I had a mobile company out to refurbish the alloys on my Merc last week (£300] as I suspect it could have been a much bigger charge. I was also charged £115 for a missing manual. Fortunately I found it so that charge was cancelled. You should be able to find the BVRLA guidelines online. You will be asked to sign and agree with their report and you can record as disputed if you disagree.