Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar offer

Views : 2189

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 12:00   #1
cassell
Member since 1988

Default Polestar offer

I've had an email from Volvo to say they are offering the Polestar optimisation software for V90 at £695 (£140 saving) on the 14 day trial basis again.

Could anyone who has experience of the 'before and after' effects of the Polestar upgrade on a D4 comment whether it's a worthwhile consideration or not, and how is overall mpg affected?

Thanks, Paul.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 12:38   #2
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
I've had an email from Volvo to say they are offering the Polestar optimisation software for V90 at £695 (£140 saving) on the 14 day trial basis again.

Could anyone who has experience of the 'before and after' effects of the Polestar upgrade on a D4 comment whether it's a worthwhile consideration or not, and how is overall mpg affected?

Thanks, Paul.
I can answer a part of your question: According to Volvo the mpg and emissions remain unaffected.

The offer that you have quoted is also available on other Volvo models and the offer is valid till September 2018.

Last edited by lalith16; Apr 22nd, 2018 at 12:42.
lalith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lalith16 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 13:44   #3
MOzS90

I’d also be interested to know what “improvements” are gained. I’ve been very impressed with my car since Ive had it but if the gearbox can be smoother with Polestar that would be a bonus.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 14:13   #4
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
I’d also be interested to know what “improvements” are gained. I’ve been very impressed with my car since Ive had it but if the gearbox can be smoother with Polestar that would be a bonus.
Links to other threads on this forum that I can think of where users’ experience of Polestar Performance Optimisation upgrade has been discussed before:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=249670

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...lestar&page=14 (Post # 139-142)

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...light=Polestar

Hope this helps.

Last edited by lalith16; Apr 22nd, 2018 at 14:17.
The Following User Says Thank You to lalith16 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 14:41   #5
Quacker
Premier Member

It is still a ridiculously high cost for a software update and badge. It must be very profitable indeed for Polestar/Volvo and their dealer.
About £300 is my estimate of the true value of it and any uplift from that is an individual judgement as to whether the benefits, if any, are worth it to the individual consumer.

I wonder whether it adds or detracts from the residual value of the car? Certainly for a lease car, it must be justified within the duration of the lease, because it has absolutely zero residual value in that case.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 16:35   #6
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I wonder whether it adds or detracts from the residual value of the car? Certainly for a lease car, it must be justified within the duration of the lease, because it has absolutely zero residual value in that case.
Here is what Volvo say in their product sheet about the resale value of the P*’ed vehicle though and I quote “As with other Volvo Original Accessories, the Polestar Performance Optimisation can increase the resale value of your Volvo.”
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 16:46   #7
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
Here is what Volvo say in their product sheet about the resale value of the P*’ed vehicle though and I quote “As with other Volvo Original Accessories, the Polestar Performance Optimisation can increase the resale value of your Volvo.”
And I say that it can equally as well have zero or a negative effect. While it can have a positive effect [assuming the car isn't leased, in which case it certainly won't benefit the hirer] it is far more likely to have one of the other two effects. Obviously they don't spell that out, because they want your money.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 17:16   #8
lalith16

Assuming that PPO ‘will’ increase the resale value of the vehicle, I do not think it will increase the residual value of the same vehicle. The reason being, I don’t see the residual value the same as resale value.

Let’s suppose I add 2 or 3 chargeable options to the final spec of my car; IMO I don’t think that will increase the residual value of my car. However, IMO, the resale value of the same car will be higher than the residual value because I added 2 or 3 extras to the spec.

Even in Volvo’s wording that I quoted in my post they refer to resale value and not residual value.

Last edited by lalith16; Apr 22nd, 2018 at 17:19.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 19:43   #9
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
Assuming that PPO ‘will’ increase the resale value of the vehicle, I do not think it will increase the residual value of the same vehicle. The reason being, I don’t see the residual value the same as resale value.

Let’s suppose I add 2 or 3 chargeable options to the final spec of my car; IMO I don’t think that will increase the residual value of my car. However, IMO, the resale value of the same car will be higher than the residual value because I added 2 or 3 extras to the spec.

Even in Volvo’s wording that I quoted in my post they refer to resale value and not residual value.
Would you like to define the two terms and the difference between them other than the dealer's margin?
Good luck with that.

There's only a few things that increase the desirability and therefore the value of a certain used cars. Colour and trim, including leather on high end models. Engine and transmission choice. Some physical extras like a pano roof will add some, but only a fraction of the purchase price.

See any used car value site and figure out how much value extras add to a car's price. Near enough zero is the answer, whether you are buying or selling.

Ask yourself whether you would pay a significant amount extra for a car with a Polestar badge on its tailgate. If you would, I can assure you that you are in a very rare group of people indeed. Ask the leasing company how much they value it or any other extra when it comes to selling the car.

Last edited by Quacker; Apr 22nd, 2018 at 19:45.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 20:09   #10
apnicolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
I’ve found that the gearbox changes are smoother and more appropriate (if that makes sense). If you’re accelerating the gearbox seems to hold on to the gear for longer and change up later, but that’s maybe a little bit subjective.

I drove a rental non-Polestar V90 D4 back to back with mine a few weeks ago, and this just reinforced my perception of the normal gearbox being slightly dim witted and lethargic.

Regarding return on investment...who cares really. £800 is 2% of the cost of a £40k car. What irks me is that Volvo should really deliver the car as standard with an optimised gearbox not one that is not quite right.
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote