Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brakes - How long are yours lasting?

Views : 778

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2019, 13:59   #11
andy_d
Premier Member

milage doesnt matter That much, How they are used and Are they still within tolerances DOES.
weight of car, How you use the brakes, town/motorway will all play a part in how long or not yours last
disks have a min wear thickness, 1mm PER Side, in most volvo cases, so a 25mm thick disk is DONE once it is 23mm thick, regardless of years/miles , if you use an aggressive pad you Will wear the disks faster

waiting for the MOT to say "failed",,despite the bleats Is not the way to go, as Galloot has said "needs doing as JUST had an advisory" ,
gen volvo pads/disks are not cheap BUT they last/work 100% as intended,
get on the phone to simon(rufe) of FRF and get a set of whatever you need BEFORE they fail and you plow into someone due to worn out brakes
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 14:36   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
You cannot judge by mileage alone. Someone might do a lot of motorway miles and therefore rarely use the brakes and they will last longer. The same mileage in city driving will clearly wear out the brakes faster... and track driving will wear them out even quicker.

It also depends on the pads you fit. I use the volvo police pads on the front which don't last as long as the standard volvo pads given the same amount/type of driving for example.
I agree , and also worth remembering that it is not compulsory to press that brake pedal all the time , there are other methods . One way of wearing them out i have seen many times . There is a one mile straight on a downhill slope going down to the motor way . Two lanes going down . 50 mph speed limit . every morning big new ( mainly German ! ) cars are hammering down there at 70 mph and brake for a long time before the roundabout . Every morning i try and count how many seconds they are braking at about 60% pressure . 30 seconds is common ! Multiply that by 360 times a year in just that one place and you can see where the brake material goes . Brake wear is directly proportional to useage.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 20:13   #13
Martin Cox
VOC Member

It's also possible the weather may have some bearing on how fast disks wear.
If the disks get wet and then stand, a thin layer of rust will form on the surface. The next time the brakes are applied, this layer should get rubbed off.

If the car stands for any length of time then the disks can start to pit so deterioration can be much higher on a little used car than one might expect based on mileage alone.

Since the rear brakes seldom work as hard as the front ones and with gentle braking, they probably do very little, this means any rust takes longer to wear off. so the rear disks tend to pit more rapidly than the front ones in my experience.

Martin
Martin Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 22:29   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
It's also possible the weather may have some bearing on how fast disks wear.
If the disks get wet and then stand, a thin layer of rust will form on the surface. The next time the brakes are applied, this layer should get rubbed off.

If the car stands for any length of time then the disks can start to pit so deterioration can be much higher on a little used car than one might expect based on mileage alone.

Since the rear brakes seldom work as hard as the front ones and with gentle braking, they probably do very little, this means any rust takes longer to wear off. so the rear disks tend to pit more rapidly than the front ones in my experience.

Martin
That is a valid point , you see cars which are seldom used with their wheels encrusted with iron dust as every time they are used the pads scrape off the rust . It is only in recent years that discs are rusting like crazy , back in the days of the 140 and 240 discs would last indefinitely they did not rust and pads would last 70,000 miles , there was certainly more chrome or whatever they use in the disc material . and yes , the volvos then were used at least as hard and as far if not more than current volvos .
Regarding the rear brakes not doing much , in fact it is the opposite since about 12 years ago when at light load the rear brakes do most of the work . That's why they are always shiny now, shedding dust over the rear wheels also, rather than a black pitted appearance on the 240 and 900 volvos .