Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Project Thread - 1966 Amazon 121

Views : 18085

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2013, 00:30   #1
random_noise
VOC Member

Default Project Thread - 1966 Amazon 121

I guess it's time I start logging some of the work I'm putting in to my Amazon.

I'm pretty bad for forgetting to take any pics before I start things, but hopefully I'll get better.

The specs of my car are:

1966 Amazon 121 - 4 door, B18A single carb with M40 box.

Here she is:

Lovely picture of some bins

My first job was to replace the seat belts. Didn't like the fixed length ones & they didn't meet the WAF so they definitely had to go.

Not too keen on the anchor point bracket, but it is secure enough. Will change it to a better looking bracket in future.

I also fixed the horn which wasn't working (but forgot to take any photos). Problem was completely blackened rings, separated by a bit of foam which wasn't up to much. A polish up of the rings & some new foam got it up & running, although I think I might take Ron Kwas's suggestion of putting a relay in there once I've got the electrics in a better state.

Read online about polishing up chrome using water & some aluminium foil & there were a few wee bits which just annoyed me so gave it a try.

Right hand side before:

And after:

Quite a difference! Will give the bumpers a shine up tomorrow I think!

Until my mechanic mate gets his garage finished or I can get one rented in my area I'm not going to be able tackle anything too major mechanically. Got an order through from Brookhouse today with my next couple of projects though. 1st off I need to sort this situation:

Some grotty wood!

So that's what it was hiding!

Started to put the new webbing on, but have decided that the seat frame could do with a respray 1st, so wood went back on for now.

I've also been playing about with a spare instrument panel I have. As the grey paint on it was flaking off, I thought it would be nice to strip it back & paint it up.
It's turned in to one of these jobs you wish you didnt start.

Yesterday after picking off the worst of the flaky bits & a brief go at with a dremmel.

About another hour of solid dremmeling. I think breathing the paint dust started to make me go a bit loopy.

Once I get it finished I'm going to spray paint it & will put it in later when I take the dash apart.

Well, this post turned in to a monster so will save my adventures in electrics for another day

Dave
random_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 13:12   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Nice looking car. It's very satisfying getting these jobs done. You'll like the new webbing and you may like to consider just how tight you do it, maybe even different for driver and passenger side depending on how heavy each is. If it turns out too soft you can always pull it in a few inches but not the other way round.
If you reverse the bolts on the seatbelt mounts you can slip a piece of split rubber hose over them. Cheap, crude but neat and tidy if done right. Would be good to see what the reels look like fitted. Securon kit number #500/15?
Carefully prise the indicator lenses out of the speedo frame, cut the heat pressed bits off with a scalpel, and then use paint stripper.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=wrinkle+paint
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 14:02   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Dave,

The offer is open if you need a bit of workshop space to do a few jobs let me know, I have a pretty well set up workshop now as well.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 11:28   #4
random_noise
VOC Member

Derek-
Hose idea sounds like it would look much neater! I'll stick up some pics of the reels later on. The belts were from Amazon cars- cant remember the name off the top of my head.

Thanks for the link for the instrument re-furb.. that way sounds way easier than what I've done. Might just do that to finish off.

Mitch,

I'll definitely give you a shout soon.. I really want to see your Estate for some inspiration! Got a few busy weekends coming up but if an evening suits you will pop round. Will PM for your details.

Dave
random_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 12:28   #5
Tail
Master Member

I thought the new replacement kits were a bit dear and surprisingly short so went off to the scrappies and got MK2 Sierra seatbelts, did some mods to the brackets and they fit the original lower bolts cut the stitched bit at the end, threaded the amazon catch on so i could retain the original chromed one between the seats then got the belt restitched by a local auto upholsterer who did it for nothing as it took all of 30 seconds and they have been excellent so far and cost just £20 to do.
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tail For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 05:13   #6
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

That aluminum trick is pretty cool! I've no need on my Volvo, but that reminds me - I've got a very visible bit on my truck that might respond well to that.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 22:04   #7
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_noise View Post
Read online about polishing up chrome using water & some aluminium foil & there were a few wee bits which just annoyed me so gave it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 122 Canuck View Post
That aluminum trick is pretty cool!
Ditto & cheers for the reminder about this method - I can think of quite a few uses for it.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 14:15   #8
simonvolvo

Re the aluminium trick: How long do the results last?
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 00:06   #9
pez
VOC Member

Very nice looking amazon,love the colour as well.
Keep the updates and photos coming mate
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 12:13   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvolvo View Post
Re the aluminium trick: How long do the results last?
Not as long as doing the job with a good chrome cleaner. Will be quicker, easier and much less messy too. No contest................
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote