Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spend Money On Keeping A High-Miler On The Road, Or...?

Views : 26861

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Spend Money On Keeping High-Miler Going, Or On Replacing It?
Keep It Running, Regardless Of Costs 118 63.10%
Keep It Running, Till Costs Start Exceeding Value Of Car 63 33.69%
Replace Every [XX] Year(s) 6 3.21%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 1st, 2017, 15:50   #131
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
When I moved to the UK in fall of 2009 I had to sell my '90 940SE (US edition with a wing on the back which certainly not made it faster)..=*^)

310K miles, engine had never been apart, regular services like cam belts etc., only, A/c worked, sunroof worked, interior like new, auto smooth. The only thing attesting to the age was the metal grey paint which was getting sunburnt on the top - Arizona sun - and of course rust free.

I've regretted ever since not shipping it over, despite the costs.

Now we have a W reg C70 with 82K miles bought three years ago for £1100 with 68K on the odometer. Perfect interior, looks like new when polished up and the running costs have been basically nothing apart from belts.

The other one is a 2002 V70 Euro3 D5, 209K when I bought it in August - £800K. Cambelt changed three times, turbo replaced 50K miles ago and impressive service history.

This is my third V70 in three years. First one was a 2000 (2nd gen) 140 hp auto which cost me pretty much nothing apart from belts and transmission change. Bought it for £1,100 and sold it for £1,000 three years later.

Second one was a 170 hp auto 2002 - needed a hitch which the 140 didn't have - bought for £510, fixed the problem - EGR was clogged and created a screaming dervish once it was warm (about 5 miles driving). Then I came across the D5 and decided it would be better for towing and sold it for £1,100.

Since then we've put 4K on the D5, trip to Sweden, came back with 52.3 mpg.

It was specced with the "sport" suspension, including Nivomats in great condition and hitch. I felt the front end suspension was too hard on the roads around here and changed it with softer springs (Lakes Auto - great guys!) which improved the ride a lot. The car goes like stink when I stomp on it - doesn't smoke and everything works apart from the headlight washers which I aim to fix soon. Transmission is silky smooth and I just love the car - prefer it to the C70 - which is good as Jess prefers the C70.

I can see us keeping this V70 for some time..=*^)
Pretty typical of the good old volvos :-) even the 340 series do that ...
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 14:48   #132
Watchnut

Hi all,

My first post on this forum, i have a 1999 V70 XL I bought it in Belgium, to UK spec, and saved a shed load on a UK car. On saturday it went over 201000 miles. In it's first 10 years it's miles were low, but since then a daily user by the wife. it had a tough time towing a heavy caravan around france for 5 years
It is still on it's original clutch.
Had a replacement rear window when the alarm was faulty (£350)
Recently had a new oil pump (£700 plus 2 weeks for the main dealer to fix it, with my wife putting on 1200 on a brand new v40 whilst they had it).
the erg valve played up and was eventually replaced a few years ago (went to 4 places to try and sort out, in the end an "Old school) mechanic at Volvo Winchester sussed it out and i think it was about £150 to sort....all power back!)
Other than discs and pads, the occasional anti roll link thingy, and tyres this car has been a dream. the last MOT suggested it is getting a little smokey, and i am worried about it's next one in May 2017.
I even get it serviced at Snows in Southampton as they give us Volvo breakdown cover for the year as part of the service (to date it has never broken down)
going back to the OP's original question....for me to keep this car is a no brainer, it still looks great, rides great returning 40-50 mpg. I have had my monies worth, and even at 300-400 pound a year to keep it on the road would be cheaper than buying a newer one over the next few years. I always get it MOT'd early so as to decide if any bill would be worth payiong...last MOT...no advisories sweet1
Watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Watchnut For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 16:30   #133
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

Smile

Only just spotted this really good thread, but then again there is soo much here that's not surprising.
I've owned nearly all of them, back to a Daf 66, always old and preloved, then I got lucky and was able to start buying newer. I went from a 765 GLE to a 2001 V70 Ph2 with 89k on the clock.
Kept it 3 years, and collected an new autobox, loads of electronic issues and a new turbo in that time. Swapped it for a '54 T5 V70, that was nice but I wasn't able to keep it long as company funded car rules changed.
Went for an almost new '57 Ph3 V70 D5. What a pig. 3 recalls, dreadful on Derv, bits fell of it. Part Ex'd at 48K miles where the drivers seat was coming apart at the seams. Dealer serviced from word go, got totally ripped on the PX against a 2010 V70 T6 AWD. The T6 was sex on wheels, had a Polestar done, Dealer serviced only even with the silly 2500 miles a year I did.
Loved the car, but decided I could live without £500 road tax, £500 service cost, £500 insurance, £500 warranty renew every year. Many tears but head rules heart for once. _ Wallet had a little to say too.

Bought? 1995 850 GLT. Seriously mint condition, 200,000 miles for .................£25. Replaced the knackered gearbox, £175.
I love it. I can fix it myself, it's soooo comfortable even if it doesn't corner like a T6 AWD, and the insurance is £100 a year.

NO CONTEST.

I still have a car that looks great, I can still open the tailgate and lob a wardrobe in, I'm still comfortable, and I can still wipe the smile off the face of yer average Oik in a Peugeot.

And I still have some money!
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 17:18   #134
Squealey

I think I've got a pretty good experience when it comes to keeping a high miler on the road, not a good experience though.

I purchased my neighbours 2003/03 S60 D5 a couple of years ago for the princely sum of £500. It had 319k miles on it and needed suspension parts, tyres and an intercooler in my time with it. I loved that car. It was everything to everyone, but most of all extremely dependable. That was till it reached 346,000 miles. Then the plug behind the flywheel blew and needing a dmf and clutch made it a £1200 job which I just couldn't justify spending on a car with that mileage.

Skip forward to today and I have replaced it with a 2005/55 S60 D5 (183bhp) with the geartronic gearbox, purchased from a fellow forum member. It has a paltry 178,000 miles, looks really smart, has every conceivable extra and is a complete pile of crap.

I hate it. I would rather drive my work Citroen Berlingo Van.

The gearbox valves are shot causing serious flaring. I always wonder if it's going to start as it can turn over for 10 seconds plus before firing. I've had to fix the intank fuel pump but now the cabin reeks of diesel. It creaks, it's rattles and the stereo is not as good as the one in my old S60 (I think because it has the sat nav).

It just 'feels' so inferior to my last one and if I could go back in time and repair my last one, I would without hesitation!!!

By the same token, if I could sell it without losing a serious amount of cash it would be gone straight away!!

That's my two penneth worth!!

Cheers all

Wayne
Squealey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Squealey For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 11:28   #135
Tidgy

At the min I'm seriously thinking of selling mine on, had nothing but problem after problem after problem. (2006 V50D)

Nothing that a DIY mechnic couldn't sort, alternator, battery, leak off pipework etc etc but im not so its anoying to say the least
Tidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 20:43   #136
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
At the min I'm seriously thinking of selling mine on, had nothing but problem after problem after problem. (2006 V50D)

Nothing that a DIY mechnic couldn't sort, alternator, battery, leak off pipework etc etc but im not so its anoying to say the least
They're all the common problems - the V50 is a great car with few inherent problems other than the ones dialled in by Ford - i.e. the crappy alternator and starter motor of which failure seems to be inevitable circa 100-150k miles. The other one is the vacuum pipework, and anti-shudder valve on the inlet manifold. The 2.0D suits it well and if maintained correctly, 200k+ is routine.

I bought my wife a V50 and we put 70k on it in 2.5 years, only sold it because she got a company car.

The other issue with them is it seems easy to knock the front wheel alignment out by kerbing it.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 19:28   #137
BrianH
VOC Member

Default Miles 714085 from new, a working car.

245 GL 1986cc to 2362cc. First engine 500k. Gear box 556k £480 plus vat. rear axle similar. Rust is the main cost, 6k for a rear end rebuild. Don't use soap, only tap water every week. Not forgetting under the wheel arches. Expensive wax only.

I do like the idea of keeping a car that suits all your requirements.

It easily does speed limits, is always comfortable and is safe as the first car to be designed with safety as the main requirement.

My manufacturing foot print disappeared years ago.

To keep green aspects the car runs on LPG, currently 59.9ppl, giving 42mpg.

Currently doing up to 1000 miles a week as a volunteer.

BrianH
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianH For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 17:43   #138
Dastardly Diesel

How much would the monthly repayments be on HP for an equivalent new car? 4 or 500 quid every single month? When the amount your spending regularly meets that amount t every single month then you have financial justification for a new one. Anything g less and you buy a new one simply because you fancy one, and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 22:49   #139
Black dog

2006 s60 2.4d bought 5 years ago for £1900 at 172k. Timing belt kit 1set of discs all round 3 sets of pads all round, 1 set of top mounts, 1 set of drop links, 1 brake caliper, 2 handbrake cables 3 oil changes 1 air filter 1 fuel filter and quite a few tyres. Now at 242k.
I'd guess the car purchase and maintanance cost around 3k in total of ownership. Roughly £12 a week.
Not bad for a comfortable relayable safe workhorse returning 40+ mpg and heated leather seats!
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 20:02   #140
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
How much would the monthly repayments be on HP for an equivalent new car? 4 or 500 quid every single month? When the amount your spending regularly meets that amount t every single month then you have financial justification for a new one. Anything g less and you buy a new one simply because you fancy one, and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that.
A good point.

I was recently impressed by the space-age looks of a brand new white V90 gliding past the other day ... so I went into my local Volvoist showroom to examine one and sit inside it.
Big on the outside, TINY on the inside. There's no way I'd get half a ton of oak planks and an anvil in that thing ...
I guess I'm sticking with this old shed a while longer ...