Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering box adjustment

Views : 1236

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2019, 13:27   #11
arcturus
arcturus

Thanks Derek. i know that the arm is off by one spline. very difficult to see at the time as the marks are to the rear.Quite difficult to line up, lying on your back. I do allow for that. At some time I will try to re fit. I know what you mean by the tight center spot.Re' lid, is it just suction? If so I will try again to prise it off. Will check steering arm position. I can live with an "off center" steering wheel.

Adendum. With steering wheel and wheels more or less in straight on position I checked underneath and as you can see the steering arm is pointing straight ahead, as close as I can see. I know that the steering arm is out by one spline (after struggling to fit it i hadn't the energy to re fit) From the photos I think that you can see the position.
A picture is worth one thousand words
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190601_01_03.jpg (256.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20190601_02_01.jpg (257.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Jun 1st, 2019 at 14:35.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 22:30   #12
Derek UK
VOC Member

Can't see anything in those pictures because the nut has to be off to see the long mark on the arm itself. Unfortunately, I didn't get to the garage this afternoon to take pictures but will be there tomorrow as I have a show to go to. Pic shows my puller with a PV arm, actually from a Duett. Mine works fine and they are available cheaply on eBay but the ends that tuck behind the arm have to be quite slim. I was lucky and if you buy one you might have to slim them down a bit with a grinder. Take the minimum off to make it work or it might weaken it too much. Like this one, prices vary.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-27...EAAOSwCi9ZwYXU

Pics added, forgot I had these. Marks do show with nut on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pitman arm puller.JPG (308.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg PC141787.jpg (155.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PC141786.jpg (145.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Derek UK; Jun 1st, 2019 at 23:10. Reason: Added pictures
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 09:10   #13
arcturus
arcturus

Yes, checked. If you blow up this pic' you can see that the marks line up. The mark on the steering arm has been highlighted with white paint. As before they are only one spline out.The position made it impossible to get a square on pic' But you can take my word for it
Re lid.do I need to completely unscrew the adjusting screw to lift the top off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190602_01 (2).jpg (286.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Jun 2nd, 2019 at 09:12.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 18:19   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

Re lid: I wouldn't have thought so. If the filler plug is out you are unlikely to have any problems with suction. The parts cat pic appears to show a small section on the end of the adjuster that fits into the top of the "screw". That might cause a bit of suction due to the oil in it, similar to when you pull a push rod out and it lifts up the cam follower.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 21:48   #15
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Re lid.do I need to completely unscrew the adjusting screw to lift the top off?
Long time since I have done this but, yes, I do think you do have to “unscrew” the adjusting screw fully (after removal of the lock nut) before you can remove the lid. By “unscrewing” I mean turning it clockwise, down into the box, until the screw is completely free of the lid. Before you do that remove the four screws that hold the lid down onto the box, so that the lid can lift if necessary.

Look at the diagram in Derek’s post #7. The diagram is an exploded view, so doesn’t really show this, but he head of the adjuster screw 26 is captive in the top of the shaft 25. In other words, the shaft hangs from the adjuster screw.

You cannot remove the adjuster screw via the top of the box unless you also pull out the entire shaft with it. And for that to be possible you would first have to remove the pitman arm.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post: