Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Missing oil

Views : 616

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2019, 23:29   #1
Timme

Default Missing oil

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum so thanks for having me. I have a 2005 V50, 1.8 petrol and owned it for about 6 months. About a month ago I checked the oil and found nothing showing on the dip stick. No oil light showing or any sign of leaks, or burning excessive oil. I put oil in, nothing seem to show so kept topping up and then suddenly it was over filled. Checked it today and no oil showing again, not a drop on the stick. Can't understand it. I don't want to put more in in case its still full, but don't want to drive it in case its dry. Still no leaks or blue smoke. Any ideas? I'm at a loss.
Timme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 18:27   #2
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

I'd be tempted to drain it out, see what's in. Then top up with specified amount of new oil and see where (if anywhere) it goes up to on the dipstick.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 19:25   #3
phil1968
Master Member

You are checking with the car on level ground & the engine cold, or shut off for at least half an hour I take it?

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 20:31   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default What Rossi-fan says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
I'd be tempted to drain it out, see what's in. Then top up with specified amount of new oil and see where (if anywhere) it goes up to on the dipstick.
Agree with above.
Reminds me of the old joke about the dip stick not being long enough but it is rather strange.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 12:28   #5
alcashj94

I have a 1.8 petrol and see the same thing, pull the dipstick and it's just showing on the bottom but wipe off and re insert it shows the correct level. I've got used to doing this and just put it down to the way the dipstick tube is fitted in this engine, maybe due to the O ring seal at the top not letting oil up the tube until open to atmosphere????
alcashj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alcashj94 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 13:31   #6
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I must admit with the V70 I'm pretty lazy and just pull the dipstick and look, after years of ownership I know what's going on without wiping it, redipping it, wiping it, rechecking etc.. But going back to what I was taught years ago and adding experience from years of driving many types of trucks-

As already said you should check it on level ground and either before you start the engine up for the first time that day or after it has been switched off for at least half an hour, this allows the oil to drain down from all the nooks and crannies in the engine.
Similarly if you're topping it up you need to give the oil time to drain down through the engine from where you pour it in at the top to where the dipstick is measuring in the sump at the bottom.

You should pull the dipstick, wipe it clean on a clean non fluffy rag (paper kitchen towel is OK as well) then reinsert it and pull it back out to check it, this can work both ways, sometimes, as alcashj24 says, it will show more on the second dip, sometimes there will be oil smeared up the dipstick first time round and it will show less on the second dip, if in doubt wipe it and try again.

Some engines seem to settle at a level less than full to the top mark on the dipstick, you'll need to keep checking daily over a period of time but in my experience if you top up to the max mark on the dipstick it can rapidly drop to somewhere around the middle, if you don't top it up (but keep a good check) it can stabilise around the middle only using tiny amounts of oil, if you top it up to max again it will just lose that oil until it settles around the same midpoint again.
Where that extra oil goes is a good question, possibly with a higher level in the sump some finds ways to leak out and some just passes the piston rings and gets burnt off. Small amounts of oil will get into the cylinders of a good engine and get burnt off without it being noticeable, if you see blue smoke then you'll be burning a lot of oil.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 14:26   #7
green van man
Premier Member

I had a crossflow engine that always ran 3/4 of the way up the dipstick, fill it and it would loose that 1/4 but never used more.
These days dipstick holes are better sealed than in years passed when the dipstick was in effect another breather and opening to the atmosphere may well alow the level to adjust.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 12:16   #8
e123

I take it that the dipstick is the correct one for the car.
e123 is offline   Reply With Quote