Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 325356

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2019, 17:16   #1861
Phooey

Today I replace front discs and pads. Oh my god. Pads look new but the discs!
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 19:45   #1862
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow place View Post
Today !!! Oil change & Filter , simple job ! NO !! the sump plug is so tight and slightly rounded no chance, the last service was by Volvo before I bought the car ! Now have to order a suction pump and empty oil via the dipstick, so gave up on the simple job and now onto the front and rear mounts .
Try using a pipe spanner/Stilson/mole grips or failing that a rounded head socket - they have multiple pins which will grip a damaged bolt head.

I'll try to find the listing for the one I bought a year or so ago and post in the next 24 hours - in the mean time don't give up....there is always the coal chisel and bolster method unless some numpty has araldited the sump bolt !!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 20:39   #1863
oragex
Premier Member

Did a video about the various seats available on most S60 V70 XC70 S80 and XC90 cars from 2001 to 2009 (or 2007, 2014 depending on the model). These are the leather ones that we got here in North America https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGl0YHTG4x4
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 23:41   #1864
oragex
Premier Member

Two videos with the fast idle and the sunroof drains cleaning - in particular in the second video I talk how my side airbag got wet because of a clogged sunroof drain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAa-ttScZPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jMAWVN2N0Q

Old Apr 18th, 2019, 04:59   #1865
petey
Master Member

Grumpy that my “alarm needs service” worded warning came on yesterday.

I’m assuming that’s the alarm detecting that the alarm batteries are FUBAR’d and just about to start leaking?
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 07:48   #1866
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Now have to order a suction pump and empty oil via the dipstick,
Re the earlier post try a universal pin adaptor. (damaged sump bolt)

Universal Socket 7-19mm (chrome vanadium steel cylinder 54 steel pin)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CNRH6...ad_dp_asin_img

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 16:06   #1867
Willow place

Will try some Mole Grips, tried Stillsons etc no joy, I think the heavy bit (Chisel and Hammer) may be a bit drastic , could distort the sump or crack it ! Anyway Rain has Stopped play !!! 8c here and very heavy rain, it appears that the UK is going to get a decent Easter !
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willow place For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 17:47   #1868
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Today !!! Oil change & Filter , simple job ! NO !! the sump plug is so tight and slightly rounded no chance, the last service was by Volvo before I bought the car ! Now have to order a suction pump and empty oil via the dipstick, so gave up on the simple job and now onto the front and rear mounts .
May try welding a 1/2" socket on it at a garage, just careful not to overheat the area. A pipe wrench may also work. A garage may also have some quality nut extractors (not the regular ones).

That nut can indeed get stuck if a previous mechanic did his work out on it because the washer was slightly leaking

As for sucking the oil through the dipstick, it's almost impossible. Not only the tube will be very thin and the oil hard to 'start' leaking because it sits low to the ground inside the oil pan and has to travel all the way up then drain on a pan that also sits low on the ground so really hard. May try at least with the engine slightly warmed up (not fully), will fluidify the oil and help a little - don't suck with your mouth, used oil is cancerigenous
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 19:17   #1869
petey
Master Member

Weld a spanner to it
Centre punch, drill and EZ out it
Mole grips (genuine ones, not some Halfords pony excuse for a pair)
Cold chisel and hammer
Hammer an old socket onto it
Thoughts and prayers.

All ideas better than sucking out through the dipstick tube.....
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 19:21   #1870
ASt85
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Will try some Mole Grips, tried Stillsons etc no joy, I think the heavy bit (Chisel and Hammer) may be a bit drastic , could distort the sump or crack it ! Anyway Rain has Stopped play !!! 8c here and very heavy rain, it appears that the UK is going to get a decent Easter !
You could try the application of heat on the bolt, either from a hot air gun which reduces the risk of fire or a gas heat gun......both work well - if neither one will not get the bolt to ease then it is possible someone has resin glued the bolt - the only way to shift that will be with significant localised heat and a bar breaker....on second thought have you tried using a long bar and star socket or 750mm plumbing grips on the bolt?