Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mullingar - 21/11/2009 - ***Updated with Hotel Info***

Views : 16055

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Change of date: Please select your prefered option
7th November 2 16.67%
14th November 3 25.00%
21th November 6 50.00%
28th November 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 25th, 2009, 09:59   #21
ahal
Master Member

Hi Mark,

As above really. Five people isn't enough for a meet, so if we don't get some decent response it'll have to be put off until the new year. I'm leaving it open for another 7 days. You'll know by then.

Cheers,

Tony.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:22   #22
mchudd

Default Mullingar

Hi Tony.
Thanks for that.
Come on all you people.Get your arses into gear and get voting.
Cheers Mark.
mchudd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mchudd For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 11:20   #23
dados
Faugh A Ballagh

sorry that i haven't replied yet,was sunning my ar$e in warmer climes,& for that & with Xmas coming up i can't see me being able to commit until the new year sometime
dados is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dados For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 00:27   #24
Alf ista
Premier Member

Good God! There is a Raleigh Chopper club..... Amazing! Anyway, I was ready to contact and say I couldnt make next week as we had too much on at home over the Haloween weekend. Dissapointed as I really wanted to go and I am sure the Amazon will make it. I will talk to the "boss" tomorrow and see if we have anything on for these other dates. Will post back then sometime tomorrow. Hope it works out guys, or is it possible we are just trying to pull people from too far away...?
Hugh.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 00:50   #25
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf ista View Post
Good God! There is a Raleigh Chopper club..... Amazing! Anyway, I was ready to contact and say I couldnt make next week as we had too much on at home over the Haloween weekend. Dissapointed as I really wanted to go and I am sure the Amazon will make it. I will talk to the "boss" tomorrow and see if we have anything on for these other dates. Will post back then sometime tomorrow. Hope it works out guys, or is it possible we are just trying to pull people from too far away...?
Hugh.
It's a good point about bringing people a long way. It's far for most, and realistically, long - term, I don't think that much over 1 hour of driving is reasonable.

I was going to save this for the meet itself so as not to confuse matters, but here's my thinking fwiw.

I've been watching the U.K. meets for a long time now. Okay, sometimes meetings get a dire turnout, but more often than not they don't. I believe the key to success is indeed regional meets.

Here we are trying to have just one meeting for North and South. With 2 + hours of driving, it's very easy to get put off. I should know, I've been a culprit in the past!

It seems to me that U.K. meets are more successful because there is a CORE GROUP of people in a given area who will turn up anyway, so the possibility of just one man and his dog showing up is eliminated.

My best suggestion is this:

Northern meet

Dublin meet

Southern meet.

One a year of each, and anyone who wants to go to the others inbetween can do so, so potentially there's 3 meets a year for anyone who is interested in doing the extra travel - it's entirely optional - but there will at least be one meet per year nearby.

By developing 3 regional groups I think we will do better. If we take the responders to this thread and put 'em together divided by 3, we certainly have enough people for 3 regional committees from the thread alone.

Darren and Brendan have done some very good work in the past and my plan was to continue what he was doing to formalize the structure. That, however, means getting everyone together in one place to discuss it. I'd be willing to postpone the meet to that end if needs be.

Regards,

Tony.

Last edited by ahal; Oct 26th, 2009 at 00:54.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ahal For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:08   #26
Alf ista
Premier Member

Very good points Tony. Distance is the problem, especially for the older cars. For me and the other owners in the far south its a fair old spin. If anyone is in Kerry its probably out of the question. That said it would be good to get together and plan for the future. Personally I see the long trip as a bit of an adventure and to be honest, I have every faith in the car. The Swedes made em to last!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:54   #27
ahal
Master Member

I guess it's not beyond the bounds of possibility to get together 4 regional groups, that'd mean a meet every 3 months. I don't know, maybe that's a bit ambitious. The bloody problem is that too much is based in Dublin, so density of population comes into play. I quickly realized this when I bought my place in Co. Tipperary 7 years ago.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 22:11   #28
440anator
rookie

Smile

21st for me lol
im goin to put an ad up on my bebo and i know of a few Volvo bebo pages where i can spread the word
Also wouldnt it be a good idea if i got a big banner an tie it to the 440 an drive round all day thats wat i call spreadin the word
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 00:02   #29
MoCam

I've voted the 21st, because it gives the greatest period of notice, but I could likely make any of the dates suggested.

I think that having regional meets is a good suggestion and is perhaps the only workable way of meeting up with any regularity. But a one-off all Ireland meet such as this one in Mullingar might be a good way of putting enough heads together, sharing ideas to get that all started.

It would be great if we had a thriving club here. Does anybody know how many members and/or Volvo enthusiasts there are here - even rough numbers? If there's enough of us, then it's viable.

Cheers,
Mo.
MoCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 21:05   #30
Alf ista
Premier Member

Ok, I can make the 7th, 14th or 21st. Not the 28th as we are going to Dublin for the weekend. I would prefer the 14th or 21st but either of the three first ones would be fine for me. I will vote the 14th though. Anyway, in true Irish fashion, if we dont vote for the right thing first time around we can always vote again till we do... lol and all that!