Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air Con?

Views : 1695

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2011, 17:06   #1
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Air Con?

Has anyone removed the entire A/C system from a 940, and gone over to a straight heating/ventilation solution?

If so, how easy/difficult/impossible is it to do at home, apart from getting the system discharged correctly?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 17:18   #2
'88740GL

Whats wrong with your AC? its a fiddle to remove, as you need to take seats out front, the dashboard, steering wheel. carpets etc....depending on how fast you are at workng with wiring/interiors, you maybe able to drive the car after 1 week of it being dissassembled....

Ac is what i would love..its great to keep the windows from misting up...if its not working, just dont switch it on!
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 20:12   #3
Alasdair1
Master Member

I agree I wish mine was working. Although living in the north of Scotland you tend not to need it very often if at all. Its probably lack of use on my part. I reckon its been on twice since 1998.
Alasdair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 20:25   #4
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default most off

I took out the condenser/rad and all piping . Removed the belt . Took about 30 minutes. Now my intercooler can get some air.
barkster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 21:11   #5
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair1 View Post
I agree I wish mine was working. Although living in the north of Scotland you tend not to need it very often if at all. Its probably lack of use on my part. I reckon its been on twice since 1998.
Gas it up and fire it up every week for 5-10 mins and you should never have any leakages at all! The oil in the system lubricates the rubber hoses and seals preventing them from drying out, stops the leaks! Use it for demisting windows in the mornings, and when it rains and tries to steam up your windows, it de humidifies the air and stops condensation.. not many people know that, great for stuffy noses and colds!
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 09:26   #6
v8mad0

Kwick fit are doing re-gases for £29.00

If they don't get it 10% colder you don't pay, I'll be having some of that soon.

Everybody Knows real engines don't need spark plugs...
v8mad0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 09:34   #7
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Mine works fine, because when I bought it, the A/C had just been totally overhauled, and so it has a nice shiny new A/C unit and piping but I certainly wouldn't dismantle the system if it didn't work. I'd just use the heating as normal and ignore it.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:49   #8
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

I fear that the system has died through non-use - the Valdez is suffering with serious condensation and using the blower makes no difference. I've resorted to sticking the car into SFSS's garage for a couple of days with a heater inside to dry it out, but that only alleviates the problem until I next use the car.

I'll try Kwak-Fit's offer once I've done the belts in the next week or two.

The other problem is that the system is set up so the A/C comes on if you set the heating controls to screen-only, which would impact on fuel consumption.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 13:30   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

the impact on fuel consumption is minimal.
you will "waste" more stuck in the average town traffic jam (and far far less that a bham/manc/m6 traffic jam, and be positively making your own fuel compared to london/m25 jam)
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 13:35   #10
karlos_uk
Master Member

the pump and rad weigh a tonne

get rid its not worth having. if its hot, open a window like olden days

i did. didnt remove the under dash bits though