Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 S80 bi-fuel won’t switch to LPG

Views : 2526

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2018, 06:34   #11
reggit
Premier Member

Just remembered, the system won’t switch if it senses a fault - so could be the stepper!

What is the light on the ‘petrol’ switch doing when you try and switch it to gas?

the stepper will throw a fault code which you can check with Vida if you have access to that.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 17:12   #12
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

The OP has sent me his stepper and I can categorically say the stepper is faulty. Dead-on-arrival. The OP's car could never run with this stepper.

Probably the original issue.

However I hear tales that the previous owner was a baboon. Ripped everything off the thing, now anyone's guess. There could be a heap of other probs...

Anyways, his stepper has been properly fried.
About 1 in 6 come to me in irrepairable condition. This looks like one of those. I will have another go...
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 21:33   #13
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

I read somewhere 18 deg is the magic temperature for switch over but that would be head temperature not ambient. Mine switches within 30 secs of running even in near zero temperature.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 14:41   #14
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

My Necam system. On a summer's day from cold about 20 secs, at freeeeeezing about 1min 30secs.

Warm? 10 secs... ish.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 21:38   #15
Bu5hy

Thanks for everyone’s input it’s greatly appreciated , been off grid for a few weeks , as CNG has mentioned the stepper is potentially fubar ed so progress is being made , thank you so much for taking time to comment on this for me and anyone else who my have similar issues , I’ll keep you posted of progress made .
Bu5hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 21:45   #16
Bu5hy

Default Sit rep !

So now fitted a working and modified stepper curtesy of CNGBiFuel as the last one was buggered and had some excellent advice (top bloke) , but she’s still putting up a fight , still won’t switch over to LPG , been to a local garage to have it plugged in and found their system wouldn’t read the problem being an intermittent fault with the EMU relay , switched that out and got codes reading :
6310 Fuel shut off valve faulty signal
4400 Gas system fuel shut off valve , retardation
Fitted a new solenoid from classic swede but there’s no power to it nor power to the other solenoid at the base of the distributor, these both work when attached to 12v so I’m confident they’re working , its just where they take their que from that’s the baffling bit , been kinda thinking the temperature sensor but that must give information to other stuff surly ,so if that was at fault the other gubins wouldn’t function possibly, maybe or not !
Dunno, going to plug away at it some more tomorrow if nothing else I’m learning all the time and building up quite a personalised LPG owners manual from the information I’ve copied and pasted from the feed back I’ve had here (hope you guys don’t mind) , thanks to everyone’s continuing input I can’t begin to say how grateful I am .
Bu5hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 09:51   #17
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I have a wiring diag & manual for S80 Bifuels, unfortunatley it's not in English, it's in (don't mention the war... ). Only got it a few days back, and I've not had a chance to scan or translate it. My (beach towels at the ready ) broken German can see relay FMA2 is the master power relay to all that is Necam. In turn FST02 fires the DFCO. If those relays are not firing (or the output for the CPU is not there because the temp stat is not firing an output), your car won't switch, but the fault is usually the stepper. That theory was blown sideways by a bloke I'm dealing with now. In his, he'd had some baboon of a previous owner hacking at his car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (195.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 15th, 2018 at 12:15.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bi-fuel spares, lpg forum, lpg section