Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dodgy repro handbrake cable or..?

Views : 436

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2018, 16:42   #1
Joe H

Default Dodgy repro handbrake cable or..?

One of the original handbrake cables broke recently. Sat afternoon so I was lucky to get a pair on non-original ones.
My car is late 1999 V70 , MY2000. The handbrake cable is a different part number to the earlier cars and I thought I got the correct one. Checked the dimensions before I fitted and they seemed the same.
Then I began to get a noise on corners and discovered both rear tyres are rubbing the cables.

After some head scratching I think this is the situation:
Earlier cars seem to have the cable riveted to the rear suspension arm. The MY2000 doesn't, it just has a guide fixed to the body with a Torx.
The repro cable can slide through the guide. So over time the S shape necessary to clear the tyre changes and it rubs.
Looking at the original cable it has a metal clip as part of the construction which stops it sliding through the guide and I THINK this is essential to keep the S shape. You can just see it in the photo near my thumb. The repro does not have this.

So...

Have I been given the wrong (earlier) cable?
Is this cable the right one but made wrongly?
or....?

Cheers
Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20180913_121127.jpg (209.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_20180913_074504.jpg (158.1 KB, 23 views)
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 17:17   #2
John97Tdi
Master Member

As long as your handbrake worked effectively, chances are you have the right cable(s) and the lack of a clip to rivet it in place just represents cost cutting by the manufacturer. (Earlier cars were originally fitted with left and right cables but the spec was changed so that one cable fitted both sides) You now have two choices either endure the pain of buying and replacing the cables again or cover the worn areas with a generous amount of self amalgamating tape. Once you've done that, cable tie the cable to the suspension arm, which should stop it moving back and forth and has the great advantage of holding it safely away from the tyre.

Just waiting on the weather ( and motivation) to change one of mine!

Hope this helps
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John97Tdi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 18:39   #3
John97Tdi
Master Member

If you don't like the idea of using a cable tie, have a look at the skandix website http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...-right/1004631 where what is probably the missing cable clip part no 983653 ( plus, I must admit a range of other handbrake 'bits' I don't recognise!) is available.

Cheers

John
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 18:55   #4
byootox
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John97Tdi View Post
As long as your handbrake worked effectively, chances are you have the right cable(s) and the lack of a clip to rivet it in place just represents cost cutting by the manufacturer. (Earlier cars were originally fitted with left and right cables but the spec was changed so that one cable fitted both sides) You now have two choices either endure the pain of buying and replacing the cables again or cover the worn areas with a generous amount of self amalgamating tape. Once you've done that, cable tie the cable to the suspension arm, which should stop it moving back and forth and has the great advantage of holding it safely away from the tyre.

Just waiting on the weather ( and motivation) to change one of mine!

Hope this helps
All the P80 2WD versions I've seen so far have 2 separate cables, mine is a 99 and it's got the two separate cables as well.
A lot of the aftermarket cables are absolute bollox
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 20:41   #5
John97Tdi
Master Member

My comment should have been read that now two cables, both of the same size and design,(and therefore the same part no) are fitted to each side - I never meant to imply that there was only one cable!

Sorry if my comment caused any confusion.

John
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 00:01   #6
John97Tdi
Master Member

Doh! Last post should have read 'are fitted one to each side'

Sorry, multiple senior moments!
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 15:12   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

When I was looking at my handbrake the other week I expected the second clip on the cable having read Haynes etc, but my car (S reg 99my) doesn't have it. I'd be inclined to go with the cable tie as a quick solution or get a P clip from a parts shop - is that a suitable fixing hole in the arm just by the worst area of wear?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 21:37   #8
byootox
Premier Member

Have to admit genuine handbrake cables is expensive for these cars, about £70 quid per cable.
But the difference in the way they work is far better, I've never had such a good handbrake since I fitted a set of genuine ones to mine.
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 22:44   #9
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by byootox View Post
Have to admit genuine handbrake cables is expensive for these cars, about £70 quid per cable.
But the difference in the way they work is far better, I've never had such a good handbrake since I fitted a set of genuine ones to mine.
Yeah- I think everytime I have fitted a non-genuine part to the car I have regretted it and this is no exception!
I tried the cable ties but they aren't at a great angle so it is a very temporary solution. I will see what the supplier says but am inclined to get a refund and go with original parts despite the hassle factor.
The rubbing through of the cable cover is one thing but rubbing through the tyre on a long journey something else :-(
Thanks for the input everyone.
Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote