Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007 V50 2.0D wont start - ECM fault??

Views : 683

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2018, 19:05   #1
greeny999

Default 2007 V50 2.0D wont start - ECM fault??

Hi all,

I've got a late 2007 V50 2.0D with 182,000 miles on the clock. I've just jumped in it to go out and it wont start. It was fine on Monday!

Plugged the VIDA DICE in and the only fault code was ECM-0606 Internal ECM Fault, sounds nasty! I must admit that for a few months now its been running a little rough, almost like its miss-firing. When I look at the VIDA symptoms for this error code it does say choppy running so I wonder if there's been an issue for a while.

I've just had a look under the bonnet while my gf turned it over. I could see that fuel was just sitting in the feed pipe, not moving anywhere (there were a couple of air bubbles that didn't shift). Would this be the case if it was the ECM? These are mechanical fuel pump so it should still be pumping fuel in??

Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA

Last edited by greeny999; Aug 29th, 2018 at 19:10.
greeny999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 20:24   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny999 View Post
Hi all,

I've got a late 2007 V50 2.0D with 182,000 miles on the clock. I've just jumped in it to go out and it wont start. It was fine on Monday!

Plugged the VIDA DICE in and the only fault code was ECM-0606 Internal ECM Fault, sounds nasty! I must admit that for a few months now its been running a little rough, almost like its miss-firing. When I look at the VIDA symptoms for this error code it does say choppy running so I wonder if there's been an issue for a while.

I've just had a look under the bonnet while my gf turned it over. I could see that fuel was just sitting in the feed pipe, not moving anywhere (there were a couple of air bubbles that didn't shift). Would this be the case if it was the ECM? These are mechanical fuel pump so it should still be pumping fuel in??

Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA
IF the car has been sat with a flat battery for a few days the ECU will have lost it's memory , you will have to get it towed to the dealer for an ECM Software re load .
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 20:56   #3
greeny999

Cheers for the reply. Its not been sat with a flat battery though, the battery is fine.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 23:06   #4
ians

Did you sort your car? My volvo c30 2.0d sport (170000) did the same thing. There are no faults and at first suspected the bubbles in the fuel line. I was told by a mechanic that this is not the problem. I have replaced fuel filter and since this has been done about 1200 miles ago there has been no problem until yesterday and it turned over but didnt start. I left it around an hour it started up no problem. The mechanic told me if it happened again it could be the high pressure pump breaking down he said he found small pieces of metal in the fuel filter. Hope someone agrees and I can get it sorted or any idea what else it can be.
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 09:08   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians View Post
Did you sort your car? My volvo c30 2.0d sport (170000) did the same thing. There are no faults and at first suspected the bubbles in the fuel line. I was told by a mechanic that this is not the problem. I have replaced fuel filter and since this has been done about 1200 miles ago there has been no problem until yesterday and it turned over but didnt start. I left it around an hour it started up no problem. The mechanic told me if it happened again it could be the high pressure pump breaking down he said he found small pieces of metal in the fuel filter. Hope someone agrees and I can get it sorted or any idea what else it can be.
there have been small flakes of metal in all the filter bowls I have seen when changing filters , after all that is what the filter is for , to collect such things . I would be worried if they came back after cleaning the bowl though .
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 13:29   #6
yannickc

I also had recently a very big problem with my engine.

Also first suspected fuel lines/system/pump

After a many hours research and replacements on my 2.0d engine, i finally replaced my ECU.

And now its running for more then a month without problems.....

you can read it here :
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283474

And for those who need a fuel pump.
I have one in spare that a want to sell...
yannickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 21:32   #7
greeny999

Yeah I managed to get it going again. The ECM fault I think was a red herring, as I removed it from behind the passenger wheel arch and it was like brand new, no issues with the contacts and the fault code never came back.

When we looked further we could see that no fuel was actually moving in the clear lines. We bled the system and it fired up albeit with a lot of air in the fuel! After a bit of testing we suspected, and from reading around it sounded probable, that the fuel filter housing was letting in air. Swapped that out (was surprisingly cheap part) and now I get no air in the fuel lines at all and hasn't been an issue since.

I think what caused it to not start was the air getting into the lines and must have drained the fuel back into the tank.

Oh and yes, I did find little metal flakes in the filter bowl but they were not pieces as such.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 13:51   #8
ians

I have been advised by a decent mechanic to take it to volvo for a diagnostic in it goes tomorrow and I will report back on here in the hope it may help someone else.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 21:21   #9
ians

No faults have showed up after full diagnostic but he did mention the throttle valve and cleaned it. Time will tell I will update if it happens again
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 22:25   #10
yannickc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians View Post
No faults have showed up after full diagnostic but he did mention the throttle valve and cleaned it. Time will tell I will update if it happens again
What are the symptoms exactly??
yannickc is offline   Reply With Quote