Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drivers door window switch set problems

Views : 5698

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2013, 21:57   #1
Mistero
XC90? How very Harrogate!

Default Drivers door window switch set problems

On Saturday morning I parked up went to touch the driver's window switch to close the window and didn't hit the switch firmly. I kind of flicked it, (and it's left it definitely flicked!). Joking aside, after that:
- the driver's switch works the passenger window
- the passenger window switch doesn't work anything
- the central locking mechanism in the driver's door clicks when driving
- the mirrors won't fold
- the door locks and unlocks from outside using the key
By pushing down the door lock button and locking the car on the key, then blipping the immobiliser on and off, I can restore much of the functionality:
- if I don't touch the driver's window switch, the remaining switches on the cluster (including those for the mirrors) work correctly, and the central locking works normally. As soon as I touch the driver's door window switch, it all goes haywire again.

I've had the door panel off, examined the wiring for wear and removed fuses, etc, all to no avail.

I think I've damaged the master switch set unit in that door, (p/n 30798804)so I'd appreciate some guidance on the following points:
- are these units susceptible to this? (I've searched but can't find another thread with exactly these symptoms.)
- if I buy a 2nd hand part, (quoted circa £80), does it need to be associated to the CEM? Or will it just plug in and work?
- is there anything I can try to reset the master switch set?
- could the unit be reset using VIDA / DICE? Or is it really flicked?
- is there any way I can get the driver's door window to close without use of the unit or VIDA / DICE?
- does anyone have a spare working 30798804 for sale?

Thanks and grateful for any advice.
David
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 16:40   #2
Arctic fox
XC90 D5 SE Lux MY08

It seems to point to the CEM losing the plot. But I would be tempted to remove the drivers door switch assembly, see if it can be opened up and check the contacts etc for any shorting due to a dislodged component.

Then go disconnect and open up the CEM, if it can be opened that is, to see if any obvious signs of shorting or heat damage around the tracks / components.

P.N.
I have no idea if disconnecting the CEM from the power will mean it has to be re programmed using Dice or what ever. Check with a knowledgeable member first.
Arctic fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 17:38   #3
Mistero

Thanks for the reply, Arctic. There's no signs of bent pins or any damage in the connectors and I don't really want to be tinkering with the CEM. I'm guessing I've fried the chip inside the unit, so I've gone ahead and ordered a second-hand one.

I placed an order on Parts Gateway, (I also tried Motorhog, plus Volvo breakers in Huddersfield and Preston), and all 3 of the breakers who replied said it's not uncommon for the unit to fail. All added that the unit may need to be associated to the CEM if the donor car had received software updates.

I've gone for the youngest part on offer, (from a 2010 car), so fingers crossed it won't require a trip to the Leeds indy or a main dealer. Thanks again for the response and I'll update as to how I get on.

BTW I'm in Harrogate, whereabouts in the North of England are you?

Last edited by Mistero; Oct 9th, 2013 at 17:44.
Mistero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 20:44   #4
Arctic fox
XC90 D5 SE Lux MY08

Here's hoping it all goes easy for you. Do keep us informed. I'm near Newcastle, someone has to be :]
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 23:09   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

If possible I would try resetting that window. From the closed position press and hold window switch until window fully down and then keep pressed for an extra couple of seconds and you should hear a click. Then press and hold fully up, keep held for extra seconds until click again. Once you've done this see if there is any difference.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 09:35   #6
Mistero

Thanks for that tip, yes will try that. Can't do it at the mo because the window won't move.
Do I need do that with all the windows / window switches?
Thanks again.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 19:26   #7
Arctic fox
XC90 D5 SE Lux MY08

Looking into this further, I think your going to need vida/dice to reset that window with the CEM.

As you have ordered the parts, suck it and see first.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 23:07   #8
Mistero

Part arrived today and fitted this evening and working correctly.

Really odd first couple of goes on the window switches, it was almost as if the car had to learn / associate the switch to the relevant window, but once I had the first one and held it in the down position until there was an audible click, (thanks for that tip), then moved on to the next one and then the next, it was ok. Mirror switches and central locking all work successfully first time.

Also the number on the part wasn't the one on mine, so I've no real idea what the part number is but I'm confident the breaking company have sent the relevant one.

It's actually taken longer to get the remnants of the duct tape (yes - what-a-mistake-a-da-make-a!) off than it took to fit the part. And therein lies my last problem.

The window rises to a close position successfully but doesn't park and it drops unless the switch holds it closed, (where it does stay closed). I think there's some crud from the tape that is causing the problem and will give the glass and the groove a good clean tomorrow but if anyone has any tips on this point, I'd appreciate them. Failing that, I'll ask the Leeds indy garage (I like them) to have a look using VIDA / DICE the next time they have the car for something.

Thanks all.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 23:53   #9
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Maybe a touch of silicone spray might be needed if it is sticking slightly somewhere and thus detecting an object and re-opening?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 06:53   #10
Arctic fox
XC90 D5 SE Lux MY08

Really glad that worked out and proved you don't need Vida when changing out a switch. Thanks for posting back.

Along the same lines as SonyV mentioned have a look at post # 10 here http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-x...problem-34652/
Although I think Sony vaio suggestion is the correct method. Worth a try though.

Last edited by Arctic fox; Oct 11th, 2013 at 07:20. Reason: added info