Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smoke!!!

Views : 1243

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2018, 19:40   #1
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Default Smoke!!!

2004 XC70 D5 awd.

Hello....
2 weeks ago i have changed my inter-cooler, the radiator, cleaned the egr m and replaced the hard pipe under the car. Cleaned the turbo with the Wynns spray turbo cleaner.

The car is behaving like a new car it pulls very well , like it never did. But i have been noticing that it smokes, in the beginning i saw more on hard pull, now i see it smoke more, not only on hard pull.

My uncle behind the car said its a grayish blue smoke, from the mirror looks black but.....
Its not always, sometimes you pull hard and it doenst. Sometimes on low acceleration does it. From start to take off it doesnt.

3 weeks ago i have tested the injectors (leak back test) and they were very good. I have the poping noise from the oil cap, and my oil deep stick hole smokes also like poping but it looks more water vapor than SMOKE. The glove on it doesn't blow stays normal... i know that D5 has oil separator not pcv but i did it anyway for some of you that are obi ones on this matters.
I have sprayed brake cleaner on the intake pipes, less the one that goes to the turbo and not a change on rpm .....

The car behaves very well , not burning oil, consumption is normal, no rough idle.....

Before this changes, only smoked sometimes on HARD acceleration. All the radiators were tested they are new.

Any ideas. Many thanks

Last edited by Anubisxc70; Sep 17th, 2018 at 19:54.
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 20:43   #2
ASt85
Premier Member

Clear the DPF??

If it looks sooty from the driving seat it is probably diesel particulate filter related. However if it is a blueish grey observed by a follower whilst most would say it is probably oil related (dip the oil and work out what it is using over time) it is just possible that it could be a brake fluid leak + carbon based particulates - check the brake fluid level - have you noticed any hissing noises which could be down to a perforated seal/diaphragm in the brake servo - that said that particular fault tends to be more of a whitish colour smoke/discoloured steam from the exhaust.

If it was wear/piston ring/valve seal related I'd have thought it would be present on ALL of the occasions you've described, particularly on overrun after acceleration.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Sep 17th, 2018 at 20:47.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 20:47   #3
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Hello. Mine is a 2004 xc70 but there is no DPF....
I understand what you mean...but only after change all that it got worse??

I have notice long time ago if i press the brake pedal slowly it goes down , if i step on it to brake it got pressure.There are no hissing.. hmmmm how to look, what to look?

Last edited by Anubisxc70; Sep 17th, 2018 at 20:54.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 21:12   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 View Post
Hello. Mine is a 2004 xc70 but there is no DPF....
I understand what you mean...but only after change all that it got worse??

I have notice long time ago if i press the brake pedal slowly it goes down , if i step on it to brake it got pressure.There are no hissing.. hmmmm how to look, what to look?
most older diesels smoke a little if its not exsesive dont worry about it
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 21:29   #5
AndyV7o
Premier Member

'Going better than it ever did' and 'loads of smoke' could well be overfuelling... Iirc you replaced injectors with correct numbered variety or did you leave alone after leakback test? Have you checked fuel pressure regulator? Have you checked or substituted maf?
The popping noise is often vacuum related, have you tried blanking off the pipe to the solenoid on the side of the airbox as per SiRobb's video?
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 21:53   #6
Anubisxc70
Master Member

I didnt replace any injectors, but i have replaced the maf..hmmmm

i didn't inspect the pressure regulator ..oops i don´t even know how???

I did all Simon teaches. only stops when removing the brake booster cable...
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 22:12   #7
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Its possible the maf is telling the ecu that more air is passing through than reality, thus ecu adds more fuel, causing the smoke... This is why you can tell a car with a cheap tuning box, because it belches out lots of smoke and has a sooty rear-end, as tuning boxes trick ecu into providing more fuel by altering the signal voltage.

I dont follow regarding brake servo, do you mean popping only stops if you disconnect the servo?
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 22:43   #8
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Andy i have replaced the maf for a new one....not bosh but...i dont have any tuning box and i never will.

About the poping noise. My car makes is. I have replaced the vacuum pump and test it like Simon did, all OK. I have replaced ALL the engine mounts the vacuum ones OK. But the poping noise still continue. Then with the car running i have removed the brake booster cable on the vacuum pump....and poping stop......My uncle has a V70 and did the same , removing the boost pipe on the pump the pop stops.
I will try to post a video Wednesday or on the weekend

Vida gives me 3 codes. Nothing to do with performance

cruise control not working....and it does
Air quality sensor fault.
ANd code related to radio...i have a nav system now.

Last edited by Anubisxc70; Sep 17th, 2018 at 22:47.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 23:03   #9
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Air quality sensor fault... Is that cabin? Could be maf?
Regarding maf, did you diagnose a definite fault with your old one or just replace to be sure? Do you still have it? Worth a try if not diagnosed faulty and you still have it. (Tip, if youve binned it, -always- hang onto any components for a short while until you are sure all is well (unless it is proper dead))
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 23:17   #10
Anubisxc70
Master Member

NOOOOOO I STILL HAVE IT. Because one of the intake pipes got loose it gave that error. On time i wasn't here a friend of mine used vida so i bought one just in case. Wednesday the old one goes back ...i keep most of my old parts...he he he.
Yes is the cabin one.